Sriracha Sauce finally in Thailand!

Nampa89

When we had the big flood about 6 or 7 years ago the shelves started going bare at BigC and Tesco. All of my favorite Thai hot sauces disappeared and never came back. None of the ones they sell now are very tasty or even spicy.

There seems to be a fad at Silicon Valley startups that I visit. They supply 10 to 20 different hot sauces for their employees in their lunch rooms. I've found quite a few good ones that I buy to bring back here.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know what brand Sri Racha sause the OP was referring to?  Guess it does not matter as long as there is something for the keyboard warriors to chew on.  

I'll stick with green Tobacco purchased by the half gallon.

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is the imitation variety that I've seen in the past in Thai stores. It's NOT the authentic Huy Fong Foods variety Winnie has posted above, but it's sure designed to look that way. This variety is labeled as "Three Mountains."

5938dd32a6724_ThreeMountainsSrirachaSauce-CW.jpg.c0d244693b90b162f296c499dde8d01a.jpg

So the US "copies" the Thai sauce, and the Thais then in turn copy the US version. 5555 Only in Thailand :P

Edited by Katipo
grammar

Learned something new today...

"In a Bon Appétit magazine interview, US Asian-foods distributor Eastland Food Corporation asserted that the Thai brand of hot sauce Sriraja Panich, which Eastland distributes, is the original "sriracha sauce" and was created in Si Racha, Thailand, in the 1930s from the recipe of a housewife named Thanom Chakkapak."

Huy Fong's Sriracha sauce (/ʃrˈrɑːɑː/;[2]Vietnamese: Tương Ớt Sriracha) is based on David Tran's recipe for the Sriracha chili sauce, a dipping sauce which originated from Thailand. This sauce is produced by Huy Fong Foods, a California manufacturer. Created in 1980[3] by Vietnamese-American[4] founder David Tran,[5] it is a brand of Sriracha sauce often also known as "rooster sauce" because of the rooster prominently featured on its label.

IMO the Huy Fong brand is far and away the superior!

Some folks just do not understand that the SR sauce Mr A is talking about are not the same ones Mr B is talking about. And Mr C is talking but does not know SR sauce from mustard. Go get 'me tigers.

23 hours ago, elektrified said:

Wrong meaning it was NOT sold at Rimping for the last 5 years as you stated. We happen to know a lady who works at Rimping who told us that they only recently secured the deal to import the sauce from the USA - about 4-5 months ago. And Big C has not offered it for 5 years either. I don't know if they offer it now or not. I haven't looked.

Sorry, but I've been here for 5 years and never been without it, it can be hit and miss when it's in stock at both, but it has been here for that long and probably longer. I dated a bird from Rimping once... English was dodgy and I'd guess you're not her first farang either ;) 

7 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Does anybody know what brand Sri Racha sause the OP was referring to?  Guess it does not matter as long as there is something for the keyboard warriors to chew on.  

Be careful.

Green tobacco sickness is for real and can be serious.

7 minutes ago, happyas said:

Be careful.

Green tobacco sickness is for real and can be serious.

i think he means green tabasco

tabasco-green-pepper-hot-sauce-with-flam

Edited by Rob13

On 6/8/2017 at 1:52 PM, lucjoker said:

sometimes you just not want the taste of this "something" and then i put good tasting sauce on it ...

btw there is only 3 sauces in Thailand : the stinky one , the chili one , and the sweet one .....or a mixture of those....

I prefer the sweet -hot-stinky one .......with the red dress..........

The origin of sauce was to cover the taste of food, usually rotting meat.

Thought to be first commonly used by the Romans in 200 AD

This is just a small sampling of the hot sauces I have in my fridge today and not even showing all of the Sriracha style ones I have.

Been buying Huay Fong Foods brand in Chiang Mai for 10 yrs, first found in a small novelty shop on Canal rd.

Oh the Frank's Red Hot is for making Buffalo Wings :smile:

IMG_2924.jpg

Edited by junglechef

23 hours ago, Dante99 said:

He referred to Huay Fong I think.

21 hours ago, ericthai said:

really??? My Thai friend owns an export company and siracha sauce  is just one of the many products that he exports to the USA.  

We are talking about HUAY FONG sauce. It is exported from the USA and imported into Thailand.

16 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Sorry, but I've been here for 5 years and never been without it, it can be hit and miss when it's in stock at both, but it has been here for that long and probably longer. I dated a bird from Rimping once... English was dodgy and I'd guess you're not her first farang either ;) 

O.K. I'll say it again. HUAY FONG sauce has only been available in Rimping for about 5 months now. We know the lady who makes the deals to import products. She told us when we saw her last about 3 months ago that she finally was able to secure the deal after so many people have been asking for it for years now.

55 minutes ago, elektrified said:

He referred to Huay Fong I think.

I think you are wrong, he did not mention it in the first post and I did not find it anywhere else.  So tell me where the OP mentioned it and I will take a reading course.

57 minutes ago, elektrified said:

We are talking about HUAY FONG sauce. It is exported from the USA and imported into Thailand.

No you are talking about it, a few others are talking about it too and many others are talking about some other kind.  That is very clear.

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Thank you, yes I did, I think it was automatic spell check that changed it but maybe not

It's a good sauce, I like most of those Tabasco sauces, except for the garlic one. The habenero's is one of my favorites.

17 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

I think you are wrong, he did not mention it in the first post and I did not find it anywhere else.  So tell me where the OP mentioned it and I will take a reading course.

You are right Dante. There are apparently parallel discussions going on. :jap:

On 8.6.2017 at 4:29 AM, Peterw42 said:

It has everything to do with Thailand. Sriracha is a general name for a hot sauce that was first made in Si Racha, Thailand. Yes, a Vietnamese man has been very successful making it in the US. His version of Thai sriracha sauce, he didnt invent it, just copied the sauce already being made in siricha, in Thailand.

Its the same as saying an American/Vietnamese invented champagne or Parmesan cheese, people make there own versions or copies all over the world.

Thats my impression too.

When it comes to chilli sauce Thais (in Thailand) are generally using the terms sauce prik and sauce Sriracha as synonyms is my impression.

It has everything to do with Thailand. Sriracha is a general name for a hot sauce that was first made in Si Racha, Thailand. Yes, a Vietnamese man has been very successful making it in the US. His version of Thai sriracha sauce, he didnt invent it, just copied the sauce already being made in siricha, in Thailand.

Its the same as saying an American/Vietnamese invented champagne or Parmesan cheese, people make there own versions or copies all over the world.

Thats my impression too.

When it comes to chilli sauce Thais (in Thailand) are generally using the terms sauce prik and sauce Sriracha as synonyms is my impression.

Thats my impression too.