PM wants Thailand to become food industry ‘superpower’ in 20 years

snoop1130

PM wants Thailand to become food industry ‘superpower’ in 20 years

By The Nation

9a8ca3a050e9a29fcbf60fde07e39b6d.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha vowed to make the country a food industry “superpower” in the next 20 years with a new strategy.

Prayut visited Chanthaburi on Wednesday to inspect the government’s initiatives, including reforms in agricultural cooperatives and fruit production, at the Fruitfital Fair 2017.

Chanthaburi is one of the country’s major fruit production areas. He said Thailand may not be able to become a military superpower but it’s possible for the country to become a superpower in the food industry in the next 20 years.

The premier said earlier during the trip that the government had been supporting farmers and fruit growers to stand on their own feet, by not just inflating farm product prices which is not sustainable in the long run. 

They should be able to develop and produce their products with improved quality so that they can compete in the market in the long run, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30317448

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-6-7

In theory it might be possible, and at least it uses Thailand's competitive advantage. But to actually benefit Thai people, not just the GNP, would require land reform and much better regulation of fertilizers and pesticides. Otherwise it will go into a contract-farming system in which farmers destroy their own soil in a few years and the corporations move on.

It won't be tooo long, with Chinese help,

they'll be able to provide even cheaper fake eggs and plastic rice

which won't really need any extra land cleared

may not be able to become a military superpower but it’s possible for the country to become a superpower in the food

Great expectations and he admits one thing a military superpower is not on the cards ever, but looks like his plan is to be around for 20 years

It will all end in tears one day.

What A Joke, the Thai FDA need to be reformed at first..... They have no clue about food and food safety at all so its not possible to grow a country food industry with the current FDA.

21 minutes ago, ikke said:

What A Joke, the Thai FDA need to be reformed at first..... They have no clue about food and food safety at all so its not possible to grow a country food industry with the current FDA.

How many street or even normal restaurants would pass a UK or USA food safety hygiene test?

Ive been telling for ages that anything grows here and grows fast, so there's an enormous potential to become 'the kitchen of the world'. But the way its now is that most land is used for rice and animal feed (corn). Very low value crops

I live in Prachinburi province. Stick a plant, a twig, a tree branch in the ground and it grows. Fast. 

That is already taken as fact. The thing is to co ordinate farmers without money grabbing companies that rip farmers off. Like my wife and I. lol

But the rice scheme of someone who cannot be named ripped off the farmers and sent them into huge debt.

Farmers are doing fine now on their own. Anyone suggests a new plan and farmers know that they will be ripped off again and again. And again

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha vowed to make the country a food industry “superpower” in the next 20 years

This has a familiar 20 year ring to it. Wasn't it some little time ago that the Great Master announced he was going to eliminate corruption in Thailand in 20 years? And I seem to recall one of his dunces said that prostitution would be abolished within 20 years.

I have a sneaky suspicion Thailand might become the "superpower" of gambling within the next 20 years. 

Looking at the derelict rice paddies I saw in the NE just a month ago doesn't equate to being the "superpower" of food.

I think he needs to get out more rather than parading in front of cameras.

4 hours ago, Cadbury said:

This has a familiar 20 year ring to it. Wasn't it some little time ago that the Great Master announced he was going to eliminate corruption in Thailand in 20 years? And I seem to recall one of his dunces said that prostitution would be abolished within 20 years.

I have a sneaky suspicion Thailand might become the "superpower" of gambling within the next 20 years. 

Looking at the derelict rice paddies I saw in the NE just a month ago doesn't equate to being the "superpower" of food.

I think he needs to get out more rather than parading in front of cameras.

Those derelict rice paddies rely on rain, constant rain. They possibly  have it now, at least they do in Prachinburi where the buffalo are not munching the grass in these paddies anymore.

They are locked up and fed dry fodder previously harvested.

Constant rain means the paddies become viable. The other crop is tapioca, also plantings are in full swing.

I think you need to get out more to understand a few basics of agriculture.

Your post is not only ill informed and possibly supremist, it is a post lacking in true facts and to be frank. Quire dumb. Misspelling are deliberate 

guess he wasn't put off by all of the "stuff"....... such as the main scenario in Oliver Morton's Planet Remade.

good.... he knows stuff we don't.... I'm a nervous type...

maybe it's on the timeline... that would work for me as I'm 60 something...  as well as a Boy Scout motto guy.

you do know?  the why.... of the why 1.5 AND 2.0 were absolutely essential, politically, for the Paris agreement...... (with or without Trump's later pulling the US national government out). 

you'all know? right? 

and the PM too. right?

Edited by maewang99

5 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

Those derelict rice paddies rely on rain, constant rain. They possibly  have it now, at least they do in Prachinburi where the buffalo are not munching the grass in these paddies anymore.

They are locked up and fed dry fodder previously harvested.

Constant rain means the paddies become viable. The other crop is tapioca, also plantings are in full swing.

I think you need to get out more to understand a few basics of agriculture.

Your post is not only ill informed and possibly supremist, it is a post lacking in true facts and to be frank. Quire dumb. Misspelling are deliberate 

If you had bother to read my post properly you would have noticed I was referring to the North East area and not your beloved Pranchinburi area. But I guess reading gets a bit difficult at 2 am in the morning after a few too many cordials.

I read where Pranchinburi is becoming more a deepwater rice growing area whereas east of Udon has areas where there are constraints of rainfall variability, drought, submergence, and low soil fertility.

I have eyes when I travel about the country east of Udon Thani and I see more rice paddies lying fallow, uncultivated and unused than those paddies which are growing rice. You obviously have not been in the area I refer to so how would you know. Get off your Pranchinburi bar stool and go there and see for yourself. 

In any case the main subject of my contribution was more to do with the bizarre 20 year predictions of the PM.

13 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

I live in Prachinburi province. Stick a plant, a twig, a tree branch in the ground and it grows. Fast. 

That is already taken as fact. The thing is to co ordinate farmers without money grabbing companies that rip farmers off. Like my wife and I. lol

But the rice scheme of someone who cannot be named ripped off the farmers and sent them into huge debt.

Farmers are doing fine now on their own. Anyone suggests a new plan and farmers know that they will be ripped off again and again. And again

We live in the province of Songkhla,The only thing that grows well is a Rubber tree ,everything else grows a little and Dies.The soil is infected with so many infectious diseases even a papaya tree and a banana tree and a climbing bean get sick and die.

he wants.......I want too many things. 20 years is a long time. He might have passed away already. That's why he can show people a lovely future. Sure, any time without him would be a lovely time. Or am I dreaming???

OMG, when will the hallucinations ever end.....! He doesn't have a clue that he is competing  with California, Florida, The Mid Atlantic and the rest of the world. Please explain to Banana Man that, Thailand is only four fifths the size of Texas...!!!!! FACT...!  20 years...? 5555. Expect the city to be moved to Northern Phitsanulok, it will be swamped...AGAIN.