To renew kids Thai passports when on holiday in Thailand or not? Advice please

On 6/9/2017 at 0:59 PM, abrahamzvi said:

I do realise that most countries do not abide by the internationally accepted regulations saying that in cases of dual nationality, one has to enter and leave the country being entered and or left, on the passport of that country.

Link to this international regulation please.   :-)

On 11/06/2017 at 9:39 AM, stevenl said:

Yes, Japanese immigration was correct, she should exit Japan on the same passport she entered with, and a valid passport is required to stay in Japan.

She was not legal in Japan on her Thai passport.

Your example is different from both the OP's situation and the example I gave.

Sorry you are not correct. She was legal in Japan, the permission to stay is not conditional on having a valid passport.

Had she been not been legal she would have been detained by immigration. The Immigration Police in Japan never let people go if they are not legal, you go straight to the immigration detention centre, do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

I said nothing about Japanese immigration being correct or not. Their country, their rules.

She did not exit Japan on the same passport she entered with, she did net even have it with her when she left and returned on her new passport.

I know the situation is different, I was pointing out that leaving a country on an expired passport may, or may not be, simple.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

13 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Sorry you are not correct. She was legal in Japan, the permission to stay is not conditional on having a valid passport.

Had she been not been legal she would have been detained by immigration. The Immigration Police in Japan never let people go if they are not legal, you go straight to the immigration detention centre, do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

I said nothing about Japanese immigration being correct or not. Their country, their rules.

She did not exit Japan on the same passport she entered with, she did net even have it with her when she left and returned on her new passport.

I know the situation is different, I was pointing out that leaving a country on an expired passport may, or may not be, simple.

I really don't want to look into Japanese immigration rules, but your statement she was legally in Japan with an expired Thai passport seems very strange to me. On top of that, there are contradictions in your story.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I really don't want to look into Japanese immigration rules, but your statement she was legally in Japan with an expired Thai passport seems very strange to me. On top of that, there are contradictions in your story.

If she had permanent residency in Japan she would likely not be required to maintain a valid passport to stay in the country. In many countries it is the same and that includes Thailand. Only if they want to leave the country and travel is a valid passport needed.

On 13/06/2017 at 11:47 AM, stevenl said:

Do please tell me of the contradictions, I will be happy to explain, though I don't know what isn't clear or contradictory.

It is quite normal to have an extension of stay issued that goes beyond the validity of your passport in fact it is certainly the case for the overwhelming majority of permanent residents as the permission is for 10 years. I think that it is almost certainly the case for a 3 year extension as well but do not have specific information about it. Your permission to stay is not even listed in your passport. 

There is no requirement to carry your passport unless you are going to exit the country, when of course you need it and it must be in date.

Just FWIW my passport has no Japanese visa or extension of stay. Neither does it have any Japanese entry or exit stamps in it after April 2015 and I've exited and re-entered 7 times since then

Edited by sometimewoodworker
Clarification