To renew kids Thai passports when on holiday in Thailand or not? Advice please

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did search but couldn’t find much using my phone’s small screen.

My wife and I live in England with our two kids. The kids have dual nationality and therefore have a Thai passport and a UK passport and we are due to go on holiday to Thailand next month.

My kids Thai passports are going to expire in January next year and I was wondering if we should bother renewing them while we’re in Thailand? As we don’t plan on moving back to Thailand for a good few years it doesn’t seem worth renewing them as the kids can just use their British passports for future visits.

The reason I am asking this question is because I’m not sure if they need to have both passports valid for travelling.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You should always keep their Thai passport valid so they can enter the country using it.

Cost is 1000 baht and a hour or 2 to do the applications.

Also, legally they have to enter and exit Thailand on their Thai passports

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Is that genuinely true? If their Thai passport had expired but had valid uk ones does that mean they can't come?

There is no legal requirement to enter on Thai passports.

Even on expired Thai passports they could still enter Thailand.

• Like 2

If you have the time, and all the necessary paperwork, I would do it while you are in Thailand.

The sister of my GF visited Thailand last year with her Australian hubby and their daughter.  They asked the same question.  I advised doing it here if they had everything they needed.  Long story short, the hubby decided to wait until they got back to Australia.  When they tried to renew the daughters passport at the Thai embassy, they were made to jump through hoops.  Took over 6 months of back and forth.

UK embassy might be easier, I don't know.  You should check what they want/need.  I would still give it a try here if at all possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

Why not just do it in the U.K.?  Why waste a day if your holiday on simething so worthless (albeit necessary).

Depends where they are in uk. Would involve a potentially long expensive trip to Kensington (twice?) to apply then collect. If staying near Bangkok the logistics might be easier.

• Like 2

Just now, nchuckle said:

If staying near Bangkok the logistics might be easier.

No need to apply for the passports in Bangkok there are passports offices in all regions of the country.

List of offices in Thai is here: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/organize/21037-หน่วยบริการหนังสือเดินทาง.html

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

If you have the time, and all the necessary paperwork, I would do it while you are in Thailand.

The sister of my GF visited Thailand last year with her Australian hubby and their daughter.  They asked the same question.  I advised doing it here if they had everything they needed.  Long story short, the hubby decided to wait until they got back to Australia.  When they tried to renew the daughters passport at the Thai embassy, they were made to jump through hoops.  Took over 6 months of back and forth.

UK embassy might be easier, I don't know.  You should check what they want/need.  I would still give it a try here if at all possible.

+1

The longest bit about doing it here is waiting for your turn

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BEVUP said:

The longest bit about doing it here is waiting for your turn

Actually I find the passport renewal process here is remarkably efficient if you go to the right place, the last time I renewed one for my youngest son was at Bangna, arrived at 08.10 and was number 128 in the queue, we were out of there within 30 minutes of them opening the doors, as they seem to process about 40 odd at a time, was very impressed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Actually I find the passport renewal process here is remarkably efficient if you go to the right place, the last time I renewed one for my youngest son was at Bangna, arrived at 08.10 and was number 128 in the queue, we were out of there within 30 minutes of them opening the doors, as they seem to process about 40 odd at a time, was very impressed.

Yes i was implying as you mentioned compared to the poster who said a friend waited till his return to Auss

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No. Just fill out the details in the IATA site, and you'll see that an expired passport for the home country will be accepted.

The airline not allowing to board is due to the risk of the traveler being rejected entry in the country. With a citizen of a country that risk is (virtually) non-existent.

I do realise that most countries do not abide by the internationally accepted regulations saying that in cases of dual nationality, one has to enter and leave the country being entered and or left, on the passport of that country. The same applies to consular assistance. A Thai national with an additional British nationality can't rely of the assistance of the British consulates in Thailand, as in Thailand she/he is considered Thai, subject to Thai laws and regulations.

I would therefore strongly suggest that the OP renews his kids' passports in Thailand and keeps renewing them.

• Like 1

The answer is: 'it depends'.

The Thai passport office in Thailand is remarkably efficient and painless. Having said that, the process differs slightly if your kids were born outside of Thailand.

To apply for the passport in Thailand you'll need to have your kids registered on the house registry, and if over the age of 6 they'll need an ID card from memory. Both parents need to be in attendance, and you should bring along their thai birth certificates as well as official ID for both parents, as well as the house ID. All of this is needed generally to check that the parents ability to approve the child's passport. 

If if your kids were born outside of Thailand they'll need to have the house registration and ID cards if they haven't already. Otherwise they won't be able to apply for one without those docs. All this is automatic if the kids were born and living in Thailand, however kids born and living outside of Thailand don't tend to be registered on the house ID unless they come back to live. 

The thai embassy's overseas usually waive this requirement particularly for overseas born Thais due to the fact they are not resident in Thailand and unlikely to have the chance to be registered on a house book back in the motherland. 

Of course, also bring along their old thai passports. 

There is nothing wrong entering Thailand on an expired thai passport although they won't be able to depart without a new valid thai passport. 

If you don't have the required docs, or don't have the time to get them while you are here (i.e. House registration, ID card) then simply entering and departing on the British passport will work, though limit their time to the visa validity. 

Also nothing wrong using the old thai passport so long it is still valid when they depart to go back to the U.K. and getting it renewed in London or on one of the mobile passport application days around the country, will the lesser documentation requirements.

Edited by Weddings Parties Anything
  • Like 2

If you want to renew the passports (which I recommend) all u need is there old passport and ID card if they have IDX cards otherwise bring their birth certificates. The process is easy (especially in Bangkok at Thanya Park) and the new passports can be sent to and address by express mail for a small fee. They will be allowed in the country even with expired passports if u elect not to take the few hours needed. As for the airline, not a problem for UK citizens leaving UK. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Is that genuinely true? If their Thai passport had expired but had valid uk ones does that mean they can't come?

being thai citizens they can enter Thailand with expired passports, but they can't leave unless they renew them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

being thai citizens they can enter Thailand with expired passports, but they can't leave unless they renew them.

Yes, they could also enter with their UK ones, but be subject to the Thai visa regulations for UK citizens.

• Like 1

Just now, stevenl said:

Yes, they could also enter with their UK ones, but be subject to the Thai visa regulations for UK citizens.

they can if immigration officer miss the fact that they are thai. However on departure it might be trickier as if the IO realizes their thai nationality he can prevent then from leaving using the UK passport. Most replies on this topic say the same - should use the thai passport. Many have mentioned that renewal process is easy and painless. All in all, I can't see any disadvantage in using the thai passport while on Thailand. Can you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

they can if immigration officer miss the fact that they are thai. However on departure it might be trickier as if the IO realizes their thai nationality he can prevent then from leaving using the UK passport. Most replies on this topic say the same - should use the thai passport. Many have mentioned that renewal process is easy and painless. All in all, I can't see any disadvantage in using the thai passport while on Thailand. Can you?

Yes, Thai passport is easier. But that is not the point, you claimed they have to use Thai passport by law. Which is not correct.

Your example above, where the IO prevents them from leaving because they are Thai, is simply nonsense. If they entered on their Thai passport they leave on that passport, if they entered on their UK passport hey leave on that.

Up to the OP what is more convenient for them: renew Thai passport here or in the UK, because renewing would be a good idea.

• Like 2

On 09/06/2017 at 2:06 PM, stevenl said:

No. Just fill out the details in the IATA site, and you'll see that an expired passport for the home country will be accepted.

The airline not allowing to board is due to the risk of the traveler being rejected entry in the country. With a citizen of a country that risk is (virtually) non-existent.

A Thai citizen that I know could not leave Japan to fly to Thailand (Thaiair) as her Thai passport had expired. The airline was OK with it but Japanese passport control refused to allow her through. She had no options but to renew it in Japan. Her Japanese permission to stay was current so she was legal in Japan.

• Like 1

Wow guys,  first of all I would like to thank every one of you who replied to my post with helpful information. I was not expecting so many, how great! :D

I have read through all of the replies and thanked each of you and the general consensus is that renewing while we are in Thailand is a good idea, so that is what we will do. Given the cost and the ease of renewing in Thailand it does make sense rather than the hassle of driving to London (I'm 4 hours drive) and having it sent back to us etc. 

Thanks again, if I could buy you all a drink I most certainly would :-)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

A Thai citizen that I know could not leave Japan to fly to Thailand (Thaiair) as her Thai passport had expired. The airline was OK with it but Japanese passport control refused to allow her through. She had no options but to renew it in Japan. Her Japanese permission to stay was current so she was legal in Japan.

Yes, Japanese immigration was correct, she should exit Japan on the same passport she entered with, and a valid passport is required to stay in Japan.

She was not legal in Japan on her Thai passport.

Your example is different from both the OP's situation and the example I gave.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

You should always keep their Thai passport valid so they can enter the country using it.

Cost is 1000 baht and a hour or 2 to do the applications.

As  I posted before this is NOT true if they are  dual nationals.

However using their Thai passports is usually the best and easiest method.

Thai nationals , even with valid but expired Thai passports can enter Thailand  with their expired Thai passports..

They can also enter Thailand on their legal foreign passport, but if they do that they will require a visa as any  foreigner  would.

It is easy for a dual national to renew his or her passport in Bangkok, however.

Whatever passport a dual national uses, however, they should later exit Thailand on the same nationality passport, so they will show a valid departure stamp in that passport