Video: Twenty car owners can't lock cars with their remote keys in Phitsanulok car park

webfact

2 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

And add a steering  or pedal lock too. They can steal anything any time if they really want to. Only a second or two to arm or remove.   Your job is to make stealing your car unattractive.

My friend in Holland had his car locked and an extra gear lock. After a 5 minute visite to an atm his car was gone. If they want your car they will take it and they will take it quickly! 

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My car has keyless entry... 

Key is in your pocket (or usually Wife's hardback), once you are within 50cm of the car you simply touch an area of the handle for the car to lock or unlock, you see and feel the car lock or unlock.

If it doesn't lock, for whatever reason, you will notice. 

I'm not sure how easy this keyless entry is to 'Jam'... but it really makes life extremely convenient. 

------

This story definitely seems like a case of 'Jammers' in use, in such a situation I too wouldn't leave my car.

That said, how many stories such as this do we read ? this is the first one although I'm aware of Jammers, so its not exactly uncommon. I'd still prefer my new car over a 20 year old model which lacks many of the modern safety features. 

Also, one point that has been overlooked. Older cars were much easier to break into and steal which is why we have the evolution to this 'electronic stuff'.... 

No, the only reason for electronic stuff is to make sure that you won't be able to fix any problem yourself but will need to pay an official garage.

All keyless cars can be jammed, and in Europe it is as easy as going to the supermarket to buy a jammer.

3 hours ago, Cheops said:

Rule#1: Always check if doors are really locked before walking away.

Was it an old camry? Almost all recent cars have remotes with a rolling code which matches to the car and changes constantly. It would be very coincidental if the 2 remotes have the same code at the same moment. In the past thieves could catch your code, then copy the key and use it. Now they can just jam it and open your car if the owner is too stupid to check the doors before walk away. 

Anyway, no matter what security system: if they want your car they WILL steal it. And nobody looks anymore if an alarm goes off. 

both vehicles were 2014 models so heaps could have changed since.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My car has keyless entry... 

Key is in your pocket (or usually Wife's hardback), once you are within 50cm of the car you simply touch an area of the handle for the car to lock or unlock, you see and feel the car lock or unlock.

If it doesn't lock, for whatever reason, you will notice. 

I'm not sure how easy this keyless entry is to 'Jam'... but it really makes life extremely convenient. 

------

This story definitely seems like a case of 'Jammers' in use, in such a situation I too wouldn't leave my car.

That said, how many stories such as this do we read ? this is the first one although I'm aware of Jammers, so its not exactly uncommon. I'd still prefer my new car over a 20 year old model which lacks many of the modern safety features. 

Also, one point that has been overlooked. Older cars were much easier to break into and steal which is why we have the evolution to this 'electronic stuff'.... 

Could you post a picture of your wife's hardback , I am curious to see , maybe my wife has one the same.

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

For once the Aliens cannot be blamed for this - well, wrong again, it is Alien technology so blame the Japanese ..

Well, almost all these chips come from a Dutch company (also in almost all Japanese cars!), so it's not alien tech. Well, maybe alien for the Thai lol.

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

both vehicles were 2014 models so heaps could have changed since.

Interesting. It never happened to me yet (I drive a Fortuner from 2006). The only problem that I have is that one of the alarm sensors is bad, so I currently lock my car using my key manually. The alarm will not sound in this way. I still need to find some time to measure the sensors. I have the service manual  (if someone is interested pm me).

4 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

And add a steering  or pedal lock too. They can steal anything any time if they really want to. Only a second or two to arm or remove.   Your job is to make stealing your car unattractive.

Fortunately, my truck is unattractive, thus nobody would steal it even if I leave the keys in the ignition.:biggrin:

4 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

No, the only reason for electronic stuff is to make sure that you won't be able to fix any problem yourself but will need to pay an official garage.

All keyless cars can be jammed, and in Europe it is as easy as going to the supermarket to buy a jammer.

Oh, I thought it was technological advancement, computers, electronic age etc... 

Are the tin-foil hats still the same as they were 20 years ago or have they evolved too ?

Going back to the original story, this actually happened to me a few years ago. I had just parked in a car park for a CM shopping mall, tried to lock the car but the remote just wouldn't do anything. I wasn't alone either, there was another guy who had parked near to me who was scratching his head in total bewilderment. He actually called his dealership to get advice. I just locked the doors manually and went about my business. When I arrived back at my vehicle, the remote was working fine again, so something had clearly been interfering with the signal earlier.

I wholeheartedly agree with some of the earlier posts regarding checking the doors before you leave your vehicle. But of course you see people all the time just walking off and firing their remote as they go. These things are never infallible.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, Cheops said:

Yeah, it's much better to use the old style locks, which can be opened even faster 555. New fashioned 49 year old electronics engineer. 

But then again, who would want to steal a 1997 Buick :passifier:

I am not worried about the car being stolen.  I am worried about the new expensive thing that doesn't do any thing more or anything better than my old car does, but now the fancy toy doesn't work because of some electronic hack that the average user knows nothing about and understands less.  And now the owner likely has to go to the dealer and pay a lot of money for some sort of electronic thing that the average dealer mechanic won't know much about. 

7 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Inefficient old tub with poor brakes,economy,handling ,reliability,emissions  and safety by comparison with new cars. True Luddite;-).

Total bullshit.  The car gets over 30 MPG on the highway.  Runs like a top.  Has passed all emission tests in two different states.  Has very low maintenance and repair costs.  It handles fine for the speeds and conditions and the way I drive it.  I guarantee it is much safer than the little light weight toy cars driving around today

9 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

You presumably do not live full time in LOS.   You would not have imported it to drive here at 300+% Duty.  If I could have brought my wife's RAV4 over we would have.   We drive a Thai made Toyota 2.5 Hi Luxe VIGO UTE here  Probably the best vehicle I have ever owned, equal to (but less creature comforts than) the RAV4 and my 3.0 Litre Toyaota Avalon (both sold when we moved here.  The Rav went for a reasonable price but it broke my heart to sell the Avalon at a really low low price.

Wasn't talking about LOS at all.  But I understand your points

10 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

You presumably do not live full time in LOS.   You would not have imported it to drive here at 300+% Duty.  If I could have brought my wife's RAV4 over we would have.   We drive a Thai made Toyota 2.5 Hi Luxe VIGO UTE here  Probably the best vehicle I have ever owned, equal to (but less creature comforts than) the RAV4 and my 3.0 Litre Toyaota Avalon (both sold when we moved here.  The Rav went for a reasonable price but it broke my heart to sell the Avalon at a really low low price.

It seems like some have imported a good old sled, but for a unknown reason...;)

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/oldsmobile-custom-cruiser-wagon-226490

Edited by ttrd

33 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I am not worried about the car being stolen.  I am worried about the new expensive thing that doesn't do any thing more or anything better than my old car does, but now the fancy toy doesn't work because of some electronic hack that the average user knows nothing about and understands less.  And now the owner likely has to go to the dealer and pay a lot of money for some sort of electronic thing that the average dealer mechanic won't know much about. 

Ha ha..I think it was Einstein who said "if you can't explain it simply then you don't fully understand it"

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Fortunately, my truck is unattractive, thus nobody would steal it even if I leave the keys in the ignition.:biggrin:

There's is a lot of those highly modified.   They have cult attraction all over the world.  Do not bet on it.

7 hours ago, Cheops said:

My friend in Holland had his car locked and an extra gear lock. After a 5 minute visite to an atm his car was gone. If they want your car they will take it and they will take it quickly! 

If they really want it nothing will stop them.  They must have been stalking him.  What was it?

In my home country Subarus are the big thing with ethnic gangs.   They will steal them anywhere anytime,and Harleys.  Many car thefts are opportunistic.  It will not guarantee safety but making it difficult may make them take the one next door, not yours.