Huge amonunts of trash on Phuket beach 'normal' at this time of year, Mayor says

snoop1130

Huge amounts of trash on Phuket beach 'normal' at this time of year, Mayor says

Kongleaphy Keam

1_201769172743125_RHPpBhNAFJfHtokcCjtxPAoUAllDTXwleMaftnfz_jpeg (1).jpeg

PHUKET:-- Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup has responded to complaints of trash on Patong Beach after the Phuket Gazette submitted photos of the depressing landscape to her office today.

The photos, showing a sea of trash throughout Patong Beach, were sent to the Gazette by a concerned reader.

"This type of thing is normal during the monsoon season, when the wind and waves bring trash from the ocean onto the beach," Ms Chalermluck told the Gazette.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Huge-amonunts-trash-Phuket-beach-normal-this/66679?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-6-9

9 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

"This type of thing is normal during the monsoon season, when the wind and waves bring trash from the ocean onto the beach," Ms Chalermluck told the Gazette.

How the garbage got there makes no difference to her. So it is normal throw garbage into the ocean when it comes back it is normal. Great logic.

Does not matter where the trash is from. No excuse for that. Cleaning the beaches should be a daily if not twice daily activity all year around. Want top tourists then have top beaches, clean streets... with real sidewalks... and...

The sea from langkawi to phuket is a toxic waste dump. I saw 2 dead turtles in 49 mile stretch. The amount of plastc is criminal .

Fisherman should be made to drag surface nets one day a month to recover there trash and not just rape the sea.

You fisherman are the majority of the problem.you should be held acountable for youre actions.

Rice bags by the thousands . They use these to drop there traps and keep them submerged.

The turtles die from eating the plastic thinking its jellyfish is very common or they were killed inn there drag nets.

Its hopeless.

8 minutes ago, swissie said:

In peacetime, the Thai-Army has not that much to do. How about letting them clean up the beaches?

Before some Farangs decide to do it?

Cheers.

You clearly underestimate the work involved in planning coups.

One word is missing in the HISO mayor's statement.

"This type of thing is normal during the monsoon season, when the wind and waves bring trash from the ocean BACK onto the beach," Ms Chalermluck told the Gazette.

Obviously, outside the monsoon season there is no trash problem.

11 hours ago, Antifreeze said:

Does not matter where the trash is from. No excuse for that. Cleaning the beaches should be a daily if not twice daily activity all year around. Want top tourists then have top beaches, clean streets... with real sidewalks... and...

It is not the visible garbage that frightens me. It is the e coli and nasty chemicals such as mercury etc. that can really do some harm to you.

I agree, the trash absolutely should be cleaned up but better still, prevent it from getting there in the first place. Science now shows that minute plastic particles from decomposing plastic is ending up in the stomachs of turtles and birds and we are also eating it in the fish we consume.

What is normal at this time of year is that there will be a thread exactly like this on Thaivisa.

Tides, storms  and wind direction will combine to suddenly dump rubbish on a Phuket beach and the same old discussion about the origins of the refuse will commence. I'm sure rubbish is also washed ashore elsewhere, but Phuket, as always, is the high profile, well reported, subject of this conjecture.  (Algae bloom threads also crop up at this time!)

In previous years posters have examined some of the rubbish and found it comes from numerous sources including as far away as India.

There's no denying a proportion of it is washed into the sea from drains on Phuket when the floods come. Many Thais, and other SEA nationalities, have little concept of correct rubbish disposal nor the harm some products can inflict on sea life. They throw rubbish on to roadsides and into canals as a matter of course. The oceans have become huge rubbish dumps constantly fed not only from land, but by uncaring fishermen and ship's crew who have no consideration for the environment. Two massive tsunamis this century added enormously to the debris field floating around in the currents.

The answers? 

Firstly, local authorities in charge of the beaches need to divert funds from more selfish purposes, to pay for ongoing cleaning of the beaches which attract the cash cows from around the world. A simple concept for most, look after your assets.

Education?

Banning of plastic bags? Some countries have done so.

Fines, enforced and large enough to sting?

What is normal at this time of year is that there will be a thread exactly like this on Thaivisa.

Tides, storms  and wind direction will combine to suddenly dump rubbish on a Phuket beach and the same old discussion about the origins of the refuse will commence. I'm sure rubbish is also washed ashore elsewhere, but Phuket, as always, is the high profile, well reported, subject of this conjecture.  (Algae bloom threads also crop up at this time!)
In previous years posters have examined some of the rubbish and found it comes from numerous sources including as far away as India.
There's no denying a proportion of it is washed into the sea from drains on Phuket when the floods come. Many Thais, and other SEA nationalities, have little concept of correct rubbish disposal nor the harm some products can inflict on sea life. They throw rubbish on to roadsides and into canals as a matter of course. The oceans have become huge rubbish dumps constantly fed not only from land, but by uncaring fishermen and ship's crew who have no consideration for the environment. Two massive tsunamis this century added enormously to the debris field floating around in the currents.
The answers? 
Firstly, local authorities in charge of the beaches need to divert funds from more selfish purposes, to pay for ongoing cleaning of the beaches which attract the cash cows from around the world. A simple concept for most, look after your assets.
Education?
Banning of plastic bags? Some countries have done so.
Fines, enforced and large enough to sting?

It doesn't show up on the coast of Washington State

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, sekmet said:

It doesn't show up on the coast of Washington State

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean with your seemingly irrelevant post, but a quick check on google gives a different view.

Also here's an illustration they may open your eyes, if not your mind, showing how much garbage is offshore from your USA.

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/great-pacific-garbage-patch/

Yep, completely normal. Just take a visit to "Million year dinosaur park" and ask to look at some "unseen in Thailand" exhibits in the back. T-Rex tossing all sorts of junk about. triceratops leaving his Styrofoam food packages where he finished, even tho bin just yards away. 

No matter how bad things get here, authority love to assure public it is "normal"

43 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

According to a recently unpublished research project Thailand ranks #1 in dirtiest beaches.

HURRY!

Minister announces:  We're #1, 

According to a vague unpublished research  project I've seen, Thailand comes in 12th!

Here are some pics from the winning countries:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=rubbish+on+beaches+africa&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirorSLrrLUAhUQSY8KHV-7D5EQ_AUICigB&biw=853&bih=380

Meanwhile, in Songkhla, where there are about 99% fewer tourists:  (BTW, it was the day after a storm so the water wasn't as green as usual there at Samila Beach)

Sorry, can never resist the shameless plug for Songkhla.  I love the place.  And anyone worried about the insurgency, that's not in Songkhla Town itself.  I posted up a photo of some of the scary local Muslims on the volleyball court...

SKL Beach Cleaner 2.jpg

SKL Beach VBall.jpg

14 hours ago, impulse said:

Meanwhile, in Songkhla, where there are about 99% fewer tourists:  (BTW, it was the day after a storm so the water wasn't as green as usual there at Samila Beach)

Sorry, can never resist the shameless plug for Songkhla.  I love the place.  And anyone worried about the insurgency, that's not in Songkhla Town itself.  I posted up a photo of some of the scary local Muslims on the volleyball court...

SKL Beach Cleaner 2.jpg

SKL Beach VBall.jpg

Nice pics.

Motorised beach cleaners like that should be operating on all major beaches on Phuket. Would probably require special funding!

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Nice pics.

Motorised beach cleaners like that should be operating on all major beaches on Phuket. Would probably require special funding!

I seem to remember Patong did get the funding to buy one of these 'clean the sand' rigs about 20 years ago. I used to see this rig parked in the shed beside the sewage works where all the rubbish collection trucks were parked. Over the years it remained parked there. I wonder if any member actually saw it working on the sand ? Might be they did the work very early morning about sunrise.