New Toyota Fortuner

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, transam said:

Any one that buys something renowned for reliability in LOS has used his loaf in his purchase...:thumbsup:

No denying that the new ones are smoother and quieter and more reliable but when the OP...

... Still cant understand why it has 3 way's of changing gear. ECO mode stick it in D Auto and your off. You can move the stick to the right and use Trip Tronic. Or you can put it in Sport mode and use the paddle shift on the wheel. If any one has any idea why all those please tell. ...

...unless the Spivo mechanical package on the previous tuna was totally different or dare I say a whole lot of hype, why pay the extra for the mechanical sport options of the new Spivo when maybe one only wants the Spivo styling? Plenty of shops will sell the stick-on body styling and bling to make a cheaper one look like something more expensive.

OK, the OP doesn't have the manual to read yet but you would think that Toyota Thailand have sold enough 'lumps' to farangs to come up with one in time for delivery... like Ford has done for me. Twice.

And I agree that Ford really need to pull their heads out when it comes to lighting. I have the older 'PX' Ranger and I have upgraded to LED's all round (not without drama!) but Ford missed the plot when they didn't upgrade them for the PXII makeover. Hopefully, the total rework for the 2019 release (re-entering the North American market) will sort out these foibles.

Happy that the fredo is happy with his new ride though. Looking forward to  seeing the fuel numbers when it's settled in.

Edited by NanLaew

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No denying that the new ones are smoother and quieter and more reliable but when the OP...

...unless the Spivo mechanical package on the previous tuna was totally different or dare I say a whole lot of hype, why pay the extra for the mechanical sport options of the new Spivo when maybe one only wants the Spivo styling? Plenty of shops will sell the stick-on body styling and bling to make a cheaper one look like something more expensive.

OK, the OP doesn't have the manual to read yet but you would think that Toyota Thailand have sold enough 'lumps' to farangs to come up with one in time for delivery... like Ford has done for me. Twice.

And I agree that Ford really need to pull their heads out when it comes to lighting. I have the older 'PX' Ranger and I have upgraded to LED's all round (not without drama!) but Ford missed the plot when they didn't upgrade them for the PXII makeover. Hopefully, the total rework for the 2019 release (re-entering the North American market) will sort out these foibles.

Happy that the OP is happy with his new ride though. Looking forward to  seeing the fuel numbers when it's settled in.

Toyota Thailand sells to Thais....A minority of their rides are sold to farangs but they will order an English handbook..If you ask when you purchase then you will not wait long...

A Spivo is a Spivo...That's it....

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Happy that the fredo is happy with his new ride though. Looking forward to  seeing the fuel numbers when it's settled in.

For your information the new Spivo has totally new mechanical spec: a 2.8lt lump producing more power that the old 3lt one. Different Turbo, 6 speed gearbox. Quiet engine because it has a lower compression ratio, Better fuel consumption??? whatever it's got to be better than the 12lt =100km on my old Spivo. 2 wheel drive with the option of 4x4 H/L and not permanent 4x4 Bigger wheels. LED lights + lots of other goodies. Too many to list.

Regards the having to buy thing's to put on a Cheaper model when you can get the full package by buying a new top notch one in the first place are you out of your tiny. Even by tweaking a cheaper one you still end up with an cheaper one that's been tweaked.

I think most peeps on here have decided that it's a waist of monies. Isn't that's up to the individual IE 'me' that had bought it to decide what to do with my monies. 

For some of us it's just pocket money. (You cant take it with you you know) I had the old Spivo for over 8 years and decided that it was about time to treat myself, (At one time I had an English wife so treats were necessary then and still are)

Re the UK book I only asked for that the day I picked it up 3 DAYS after placing the order. it took a day and a half to put the bits on it. Could have had it quicker if I didn't want the freebees. (How long did you have to wait for your new lump?) things do take time. I'm sure that if I had had to wait some time to get the lump it would have been there.

Not the end of the world I got the books for the last two that I bought from Toyota it'll come eventually. I have only had the thing for a couple of weeks for Buddha sake. So far it's like driving a new lump everyday. What happens when you press this or that. Bit like opening a Christmas/Birthday present.

At least someone agrees that the new Ford has dated lighting. But no mention of the Orange peel paint work. They have had that for years about time they learnt how to do it properly. Go look how Toyota do it???

Once I have done a run with a full tank I will tell all what it does fuel wise.

Edited by fredob43

• 2 months later...

Nice one fredob43

My wife has decided she wants a new motor next year. She wanted a Toyota Vellfire until she saw the price, so it will be the same 2.8 4x4 TRD Sportivo as you have purchased.

How is life with the car after a few months since you bought it?

Cheers!

3 hours ago, soihok said:

Nice one fredob43

My wife has decided she wants a new motor next year. She wanted a Toyota Vellfire until she saw the price, so it will be the same 2.8 4x4 TRD Sportivo as you have purchased.

How is life with the car after a few months since you bought it?

Cheers!

I have put in a couple of post regarding the new Spivo.

For those that missed them. Fuel wise phenomenal for it's size, getting 6.3lt/100km equates to 15.68km/Lt on runs between 100/110kph in C/C as much as poss: that included driving? round BKK for a couple of hours, on one of them.

Bit less round town but still good.

Have finally sorted the Comp: Sat Nav: in the lump, does take a bit of sorting. They give you a book that has over 200 pages in English on how it works. But you will have to be an IT Guru to work it out.

I asked Toyota how to work it and they sent a man from BKK some 350km to show me. "Excellent service" Thank you Toyo.

The Blue tooth works well, very clear when you get or make phone calls. Only had one problem with that. Whilst I was receiving a call when having the lump valeted, they decided to start the thing, and the call went via the lumps speakers, I couldn't hear a thing. Seems it works yards away if the engine is going.

LED Lights are also very good, almost as good some 98% as the Xenon's I had fitted in the last one.

Overall very comfortable during all sorts of motoring. Steering very sharp. Gearbox smooth, nice balance between the gears, very quiet like driving a petrol lump. Speakers first rate. All round Much better than the previous model. Highly recommend it.

Things I don't like. Black wheels (personal thing) Other than that nothing.

Thanks very much for your reply.
Good feedback.
Not sure on the colour yet but will need to see one in the flesh.
I think that we won't buy one until middle next year, so not sure if there is any update scheduled between now and middle 2018.
Certainly looks the part and good to know it goes as well as it looks.
Cheers

13 hours ago, soihok said:

Thanks very much for your reply.
Good feedback.
Not sure on the colour yet but will need to see one in the flesh.
I think that we won't buy one until middle next year, so not sure if there is any update scheduled between now and middle 2018.
Certainly looks the part and good to know it goes as well as it looks.
Cheers

Your welcome.

Regards colour you only have 3 choices. All Black, ditto White or Black and White being the top one price wise.

You'll more than likely find that they will have some sort of update. Most car manufactures update every year or so.

What sort of deal you'll get is up to the garage you go to. Whether you'll get the same good deal as I did, you'll never know till you try.

Best of luck.

4 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Slightly off topic but would it be better to wait till January 2018 to buy a new vehicle so when the time comes to resell it's that year and not 2017 ( with only 3 months left ) or would it not matter?

Thanks

Interesting, I think it would be worth the wait.

Was wondering if the so called 2018 models are out but sold in December 2017 what year is on the paperwork?

27 minutes ago, sendbaht said:

Interesting, I think it would be worth the wait.

Was wondering if the so called 2018 models are out but sold in December 2017 what year is on the paperwork?

Depends when the car is registered. Quite often this takes about 2 months, so buying in December 2017 would result in 2018 registration. Or just keep driving with red plates and register in January 2019 :)

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Depends when the car is registered. Quite often this takes about 2 months, so buying in December 2017 would result in 2018 registration. Or just keep driving with red plates and register in January 2019 :)

Does the registration process not begin as soon as the vehicle is purchased so that the insurance is active?

Not sure if it would make much difference in resale but for the sake of a couple of months maybe just worth the wait, i'll see what they say at Toyota....

14 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Does the registration process not begin as soon as the vehicle is purchased so that the insurance is active?

Not sure if it would make much difference in resale but for the sake of a couple of months maybe just worth the wait, i'll see what they say at Toyota....

I collected my new ride and insured it on the 22nd of August, waited for my plates and road tax sticker which turned up on the 27th of September for collection, the road tax sticker was dated the 26th September..

I collected my new ride and insured it on the 22nd of August, waited for my plates and road tax sticker which turned up on the 27th of September for collection, the road tax sticker was dated the 26th September..

What's the date in blue book?

35 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

What's the date in blue book?

26th September, and I renew every year on that date. But I drove it home on the 22nd August...But the compulsory insurance starts and ends on the 22nd of August..

Edited by transam

Have just looked at my blue book, with the aid of the wife.

She informs me that the book is dated 1 week after I purchased the lump.

Although I didn't receive it till some 4/5 weeks later, once the tax No: plates had been sorted.

Looks like you don't get too much of a forward date book wise, but you do get a later date for tax.

Might be how efficient the garage is.

I have been driving a new Fortuner for one day, and dislike it, immensely.

I had a 4 door vigo reserved for pickup for 2 weeks at BKK.   Got 'upgraded' to the Fortuner, without charge.   Damn, do I regret it.

Like mentioned, the Fortuner is awash with electronic gadgets, features and CRAP that do nothing or next to nothing.

I've driven various vehicles for over 4 million miles.  You should not need a week of studying an owners manual to be able to use basic functions of a vehicle.

Once we left BKK in the dark, I could see the headlights or 'something' where on, but could not see any evidence any other light was on in the black fortuner. from the rear view mirrors.       The glass and apparently includiing the mirrors are tinted.    I was nervous I had joined the ranks of the many motorbikes and other vehicles with no lights or taillights.   I stopped to look for the manual in the car, could not find one.

I can't manage to do anything in the car without turning on something else, that I can't figure out how to turn off.

I hated this car,  but then realized probably  it is a favorite of superficial, annoying people who think it's a high tech piece of fine machinery gives them some self-assigned status, and have resigned myself to live with it for ten more days, then smirk at everyone i see driving one after that.

I much prefer the much cheaper Innova I rented earlier this year.

I'm afraid to let my GF  (who isn't a 'bad' driver') drive this.    She almost pee'd herself when she saw the display for the rear back up camera.

Even though I point it out to her when it malfunctions, (60% of the time)  it hasn't registered you can't count on it....(IN A $40000 US car?).

Mechanically, it's probably OK since it's a Toyota, but if I won one as a prize tomorrow I'd make sure it was insured and leave the keys (or keyless entry fob thing) in it, and pray it was stolen.

I had a 4 door vigo reserved for pickup for 2 weeks at BKK.   Got 'upgraded' to the Fortuner, without charge.   Damn, do I regret it.
Like mentioned, the Fortuner is awash with electronic gadgets, features and CRAP that do nothing or next to nothing.
I've driven various vehicles for over 4 million miles.  You should not need a week of studying an owners manual to be able to use basic functions of a vehicle.

Once we left BKK in the dark, I could see the headlights or 'something' where on, but could not see any evidence any other light was on in the black fortuner. from the rear view mirrors.       The glass and apparently includiing the mirrors are tinted.    I was nervous I had joined the ranks of the many motorbikes and other vehicles with no lights or taillights.   I stopped to look for the manual in the car, could not find one.
I can't manage to do anything in the car without turning on something else, that I can't figure out how to turn off.

I hated this car,  but then realized probably  it is a favorite of superficial, annoying people who think it's a high tech piece of fine machinery gives them some self-assigned status, and have resigned myself to live with it for ten more days, then smirk at everyone i see driving one after that.

I'm afraid to let my GF  (who isn't a 'bad' driver') drive this.    She almost pee'd herself when she saw the display for the rear back up camera.
Even though I point it out to her when it malfunctions, (60% of the time)  it hasn't registered you can't count on it....(IN A $40000 US car?).

Mechanically, it's probably OK since it's a Toyota, but if I won one as a prize tomorrow I'd make sure it was insured and leave the keys (or keyless entry fob thing) in it, and pray it was stolen.

One day is not long enough to make this statement, surely you need to give it some more time to get used to?

Why did you not ask about all the basics (lights etc) when you test drive it?

Thats a bit harsh Mr 55, all mirrors seem tinted these days, as are the windows..I had a Spive, didn't like it , Daughter did for posin about in like most do but as trucks go its a fine compromise ,still local and looks perfect..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, petesc55 said:

You should have been told that the lights like most new lumps are auto. If you care to look it says so on the stork. When you turn off the lump the lights will stay on until you turn the stork to side lights and then back to auto.

What your on about with the rear view camera I haven't a clue as it's a 180 one and works extremely well. 

Must admit does take some getting used to with the awash with lights bit. There are some 53 of the buggers but they all do something.

Might be that the new set ups are a tad to hard for You to understand. Stop moaning and just drive the thing. You should have rented an Everest they have the old fashioned Key ignition set up try fumbling about with that when you get in at night. 

10 hours ago, petesc55 said:

Must admit that for Mr & Mrs Average modern rides have got too complicated, and for sure folk will buy new rides never working out how stuff works..

When I look back my Volvo 760 V6 auto Estate, was probably the best car l owned, no gizmos, just computer controlled climate control and engine stuff, plus huge amounts of glass so you never had a problem seeing anything day or night....I miss that car..sad-face.gif.929e5ab674f9fa77eaf06e92aeedf933.gif

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 11:21 AM, fredob43 said:

Have just looked at my blue book, with the aid of the wife.

She informs me that the book is dated 1 week after I purchased the lump.

Although I didn't receive it till some 4/5 weeks later, once the tax No: plates had been sorted.

Looks like you don't get too much of a forward date book wise, but you do get a later date for tax.

Might be how efficient the garage is.

Doesn't sound right. When you take delivery you get the brown book and the red plates.

When the car is registered at the LTO you are issued with the white plates and the Blue Book. You tax date is the same as Blue Book  issue.

Edited by JAS21

1 hour ago, transam said:

Must admit that for Mr & Mrs Average modern rides have got too complicated, and for sure folk will buy new rides never working out how stuff works..

When I look back my Volvo 760 V6 auto Estate, was probably the best car l owned, no gizmos, just computer controlled climate control and engine stuff, plus huge amounts of glass so you never had a problem seeing anything day or night....I miss that car..sad-face.gif.929e5ab674f9fa77eaf06e92aeedf933.gif

Must say you could be correct there. The new lumps have lots of the buggers.

Most once set can be forgotten about.

4x4 buttons only needed if you go off road, hill decent turn off VSC and the likes will almost never be used but there all the same.

Air Con 8 of those like wise once set can forget about them until you want to use say screen demist. Twice a year???

If you first dive it at night it could have been a bit distracting as its lights up like Blackpool illuminations.

Only Buttons/lights I ever use are the auto windows boot/trunk lid (4 of those) door lock, and auto engine stop. That has to be turned off every time you restart the engine. Other than that nothing.

So simple to drive, just preset it once in ECO mode stick it in D and off you go. Tiptronic paddle shift to much agro. Last two don't know why it even has them it's not a sports car.

I'm not sure which auto rental companies let you 'test drive' cars before you leave the airport with them?

The stork must be very small and mute.    It's not told me anything about the car.

No, I don't like the car any more after 2 days, and 1000 km of driving it.

I've been trying to rent cars I'd possibly buy in the near future with an eye to evaluate how happy I'd be living with them.

I probably wouldn't consider a Fortuner, but since the upgrade happened 'free',   might as well  drive the damn thing.

The audio system is mystifying.     I finally managed to 'de-braindead ' the tone settings, but the FM radio reception sucks, and the radio seems virtually worthless.

(I"m not sure why every rental car I pick up has the have audio settings adjusted to 'maximum distortion'? )

I never could figure out how to pair up my phone on the bluetooth.

I understand why they would take the owners manual out of the car, but to not leave at least some photo-copied instructions on basic functions is kind of stupid for a large international company, that rents cars to TOURISTS.     Switching the <deleted> menu language from thai would at least help when a damn farang rents the car.

I'm not sure why the backup camera doesn't come on all the time when in reverse?    

It's OK,  I'm almost at my destination now, and the Fortuner will be resigned to it's normal,  intended use.  

(Runs to BIG C, Makro, and Tesco, and terrifying kids on motorbikes.)

The auto stop/start thing takes some getting used to.     I'm wondering if the pennies you save on fuel is wiped out by the increased wear and shortened replacement cycle on the car battery?

Yeah, I'm happier without all this 'crap' on my vehicles.  

6 hours ago, petesc55 said:

I'm not sure which auto rental companies let you 'test drive' cars before you leave the airport with them?

The stork must be very small and mute.    It's not told me anything about the car.

No, I don't like the car any more after 2 days, and 1000 km of driving it.

I've been trying to rent cars I'd possibly buy in the near future with an eye to evaluate how happy I'd be living with them.

I probably wouldn't consider a Fortuner, but since the upgrade happened 'free',   might as well  drive the damn thing.

The audio system is mystifying.     I finally managed to 'de-braindead ' the tone settings, but the FM radio reception sucks, and the radio seems virtually worthless.

(I"m not sure why every rental car I pick up has the have audio settings adjusted to 'maximum distortion'? )

I never could figure out how to pair up my phone on the bluetooth.

I understand why they would take the owners manual out of the car, but to not leave at least some photo-copied instructions on basic functions is kind of stupid for a large international company, that rents cars to TOURISTS.     Switching the <deleted> menu language from thai would at least help when a damn farang rents the car.

I'm not sure why the backup camera doesn't come on all the time when in reverse?    

It's OK,  I'm almost at my destination now, and the Fortuner will be resigned to it's normal,  intended use.  

(Runs to BIG C, Makro, and Tesco, and terrifying kids on motorbikes.)

The auto stop/start thing takes some getting used to.     I'm wondering if the pennies you save on fuel is wiped out by the increased wear and shortened replacement cycle on the car battery?

Yeah, I'm happier without all this 'crap' on my vehicles.  

Radio DVD can be altered power wise by using the first button on the left had side of Steering wheel. The one that shows a picture of a Speaker and + or - button. Thought that was pretty simple. My 14 year old daughter sorted that out.

The engine stop start can also be turned off. If you look at the drivers arm rest and follow the line of it to the dash you will see 3 buttons. The right hand one turns it off. But you will need to turn off every time you restart the engine. It'll also show a picture of an A inside a 3/4 arrow on the dash in red/orange with an off underneath it next to the temp: gauge on the dash between the Rev/C and Speedo.

Re the reverse camera. You must have a problem with it one of the things you can get on a higher car. As they never service them properly. 

Setting up you Blue tooth is simple. First turn your phone on and enter the B/Tooth set up. Then just press the start button once the sat/nav and comp: starts up. Press continue then menu that's the second one up on the right side of monitor, then settings left hand picture, after that just follow the instruction on the screen.

But if you cant work out how to turn the volume down I don't give you to much of a chance of doing that either. Suggest. Better buy something simple. Or a push bike.

On 20/09/2017 at 12:43 PM, fredob43 said:

Radio DVD can be altered power wise by using the first button on the left had side of Steering wheel. The one that shows a picture of a Speaker and + or - button. Thought that was pretty simple. My 14 year old daughter sorted that out.

The engine stop start can also be turned off. If you look at the drivers arm rest and follow the line of it to the dash you will see 3 buttons. The right hand one turns it off. But you will need to turn off every time you restart the engine. It'll also show a picture of an A inside a 3/4 arrow on the dash in red/orange with an off underneath it next to the temp: gauge on the dash between the Rev/C and Speedo.

Re the reverse camera. You must have a problem with it one of the things you can get on a higher car. As they never service them properly. 

Setting up you Blue tooth is simple. First turn your phone on and enter the B/Tooth set up. Then just press the start button once the sat/nav and comp: starts up. Press continue then menu that's the second one up on the right side of monitor, then settings left hand picture, after that just follow the instruction on the screen.

But if you cant work out how to turn the volume down I don't give you to much of a chance of doing that either. Suggest. Better buy something simple. Or a push bike.

do you know if the manual is available to download online? ( in English ).

Thanks.

On 9/20/2017 at 11:43 AM, fredob43 said:

The engine stop start can also be turned off. If you look at the drivers arm rest and follow the line of it to the dash you will see 3 buttons. The right hand one turns it off. But you will need to turn off every time you restart the engine. 

Whoever thought up this convoluted asinine feature should be shot by firing squad!