New Toyota Fortuner

Hi Guys, Like the look of the latest model Fortuner and seeking reviews, comments (good and Bad). Probably the 2.8V 2WD would be the one I might buy, but there are some other models also. The interior looks excellent and it seems to have enough bells and whistles. I live in Pattaya and these days with substantial flooding a high clearance is necessary, so the Fortuner looks like it would fit for me. Anyway appreciate any and all comments..thank you

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just brought (a week or so) a new Fortuner Sportivo 2.8 4x4. I had the earlier Spivo for some 8 years.

Is it better than that. Yes 150% better. Quiet more like driving a petrol lump. Handles well Though not taken it through any deep water yet so what its like off road cant say.

Lights are excellent LED as good as the Xenons I had before. Seats are first class.

Wonderful gearbox very smooth changes. Seem to be doing well fuel wise mainly due to the low revs it does I suspect. 1.5th RPM at 105KPH. You can also kid it into higher gear by just adjusting you right foot. Also slows on the box. Aircon: first class. Electric rear door take a bit of sorting out the car has to be in the unlock position before it works, If you walk away from the thing with the electric key it'll lock automatically, so you will have to press the unlock on the key. Takes a bit of getting used to at first. Book???

Right things I don't like about it.

A real pain in the Butt unless you have the book in English. Has so many knobs, buttons, lights, switches, Making it a real bugger to find out what they all do. Sorted once you have the English book (As yet I don't have) 

The Sat/Nav computer is also a bind at first, you do get a book for that in Thai & English. It's over 200 pages long and you will need to be an IT Guru to sort it.

Still cant understand why it has 3 way's of changing gear. ECO mode stick it in D Auto and your off. You can move the stick to the right and use Trip Tronic. Or you can put it in Sport mode and use the paddle shift on the wheel. If any one has any idea why all those please tell. 

The Blue tooth & voice control is easy to set up. Cant work all of it fully yet. Time will tell. Everything is electric with censers everywhere things like you cant turn it off unless it's in P. Auto lights work fine. Cruse control excellent very similar to the old one. 

My local Toyota dealer was also doing very good deals. Was because it's the top model and I also paid cash.

35th off the price, free insurance/tax, tints wind deflectors, extra powerful horn, LED spots, door handles +++, in fact all the extras you can get they also lobed in a Toyota electric pump.

Did have to pay for the mirrors to close when you lock it also wheel arch liners (Not done at Toyotas) but they reimbursed me for those. The only thing that I paid for extra was the camera. 1.800bt the one thing I couldn't get out of them. Total discount over 100.000bt.

Have a go you might get something like it.

Edited by fredob43

3 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

fredob43---many thanks for that---some things to think about.

Just one small thing as you live in Patts you might not get as good a deal. They wouldn't give me bugger all discount wise when I lived there, when I wanted a Vigo before. Us Non Thais are loaded so it seems. There is a snap of my new lump on the red plates posts.

Best of luck.

10 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Just make sure you get all the tacky chromed plastic bits in your deal or you'll be ridiculed by the other Toyota owners in your area.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

No tacky Chromed plastic bit's now. They are either mat grey or black.

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

Just make sure you get all the tacky chromed plastic bits in your deal or you'll be ridiculed by the other Toyota owners in your area.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

Well he doesn't have to make sure about reliability, it comes free....:smile:

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Not forgetting the outdated 10 year old looking front lights.

...and the enormous ugly front overhang.  But hey the paddle shifts will be a god sent for those times when you can't wait for the diesel to spool up and the autobox to do its thing! 

15 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Have just brought (a week or so) a new Fortuner Sportivo 2.8 4x4. I had the earlier Spivo for some 8 years.

Is it better than that. Yes 150% better. Quiet more like driving a petrol lump. Handles well Though not taken it through any deep water yet so what its like off road cant say.

Lights are excellent LED as good as the Xenons I had before. Seats are first class.

Wonderful gearbox very smooth changes. Seem to be doing well fuel wise mainly due to the low revs it does I suspect. 1.5th RPM at 105KPH. You can also kid it into higher gear by just adjusting you right foot. Also slows on the box. Aircon: first class. Electric rear door take a bit of sorting out the car has to be in the unlock position before it works, If you walk away from the thing with the electric key it'll lock automatically, so you will have to press the unlock on the key. Takes a bit of getting used to at first. Book???

A real pain in the Butt unless you have the book in English. Has so many knobs, buttons, lights, switches, Making it a real bugger to find out what they all do. Sorted once you have the English book (As yet I don't have) 

The Sat/Nav computer is also a bind at first, you do get a book for that in Thai & English. It's over 200 pages long and you will need to be an IT Guru to sort it.

Still cant understand why it has 3 way's of changing gear. ECO mode stick it in D Auto and your off. You can move the stick to the right and use Trip Tronic. Or you can put it in Sport mode and use the paddle shift on the wheel. If any one has any idea why all those please tell. 

The Blue tooth & voice control is easy to set up. Cant work all of it fully yet. Time will tell. Everything is electric with censers everywhere things like you cant turn it off unless it's in P. Auto lights work fine. Cruse control excellent very similar to the old one. 

My local Toyota dealer was also doing very good deals. Was because it's the top model and I also paid cash.

35th off the price, free insurance/tax, tints wind deflectors, extra powerful horn, LED spots, door handles +++, in fact all the extras you can get they also lobed in a Toyota electric pump.

Did have to pay for the mirrors to close when you lock it also wheel arch liners (Not done at Toyotas) but they reimbursed me for those. The only thing that I paid for extra was the camera. 1.800bt the one thing I couldn't get out of them. Total discount over 100.000bt.

Wonderful thing inheritance.

4 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Wonderful thing inheritance.

As usual a bloody rude off topic post from you.

Tip.

You should never question anyone's pocket.

For your information I worked extremely hard in my early years quite often 16 hours a day 7 days a week, so I could reap the benefits in later life.

Whatever Inheritance I will receive I don't need. Will be giving that to my Daughters once it comes through. Happy now.

Edited by fredob43

Sounds like you got a great deal. I like the TRD Sportivo. Nice interior. Struggle with the interior on the normal model.

What kind of mileage you get on the new engine?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Robert24 said:

Sounds like you got a great deal. I like the TRD Sportivo. Nice interior. Struggle with the interior on the normal model.

What kind of mileage you get on the new engine?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Must say I was quite pleased with the deal. I didn't even have to ask for 95% of it, did have to Twist their arm for the mirrors and the wheel arch liners though.

I like you didn't like the lesser models compared to the Spivo. I liked the carbon fibre effect on lots of bits around the dash and S/Wheel, had that on my last Spivo, & the different colour seats.

Sorry to say to early for a fuel update. Only just completed the 1,000km, but it's a dam site better than my last one. Then again had had the last one tweaked with a race chip, fast was not the word but it did use fuel I was lucky to get 12lt to 100km on a fast run. Only a 4 speed box as well.

I don't know how accurate the gauge is ??? but it's saying between 8/8.2lt for 100km in this one. That's mostly round town stuff. I do know that the fuel gauge doesn't seem to drop. As soon as I do a long run I'll fill it up and do a more accurate reading. Was told by Toyota that I should use the best diesel, Shell V power or the likes. Talking of fuel I also received a credit for full tank of the best stuff at the local garage. I gave them a piece of paper from Toyota and they filled it didn't see how much went in but it said full.

Added to that the full car cover, TRD over carpets, side stripes, rear bumper step guard, & light trims, I didn't mention, the deal gets even better. 

Edited by fredob43

25 minutes ago, DavisH said:

How is the ride quality on the new sportivo? It has different springs and shocks from the standard model. I think I'd be interested in the sportivo 2.8 2wd version, as I'd rarely go off road. 

Sorry cant tell you how different it is from the standard model as have never driven a standard one.

But I can tell you it's like driving a good large saloon car, well except the size. Way smoother than my last Spivo.

Quiet is not the word I would use more like silent. Even on rubbish roads. 

I did think about the 2 wheel drive one but they didn't do that in the two colours Black and white that I liked. 

Then again the discount I received only made it a short 100.000 more then the standard price of a 2 wheel drive one. Once you added the 3 day delivery as well, no competition.  

Edited by fredob43

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Sorry cant tell you how different it is from the standard model as have never driven a standard one.

But I can tell you it's like driving a good large saloon car, well except the size. Way smoother than my last Spivo.

Quiet is not the word I would use more like silent. Even on rubbish roads. 

I did think about the 2 wheel drive one but they didn't do that in the two colours Black and white that I liked. 

Then again the discount I received only made it a short 100.000 more then the standard price of a 2 wheel drive one. Once you added the 3 day delivery as well, no competition.  

So you can't get the 2wd in black or white? They show them in the website in those colours (prefer the white, but not need the black top). I think if you are actually getting around 8 km/l around town, that's very good. After some time, the economy should improve a bit more too.

29 minutes ago, DavisH said:

So you can't get the 2wd in black or white? They show them in the website in those colours (prefer the white, but not need the black top). I think if you are actually getting around 8 km/l around town, that's very good. After some time, the economy should improve a bit more too.

I did ask and they said no. But there could have been a language problem. My technical Thai is at best rubbish, + the sales man didn't speak a word of English all done through a third party who was also Thai. Great fun but got there in the end.

I have the price list in front of me as I tap and it only prices the Spivo 2.8 top on the range in Black and White. Or two tone as they put it. They start at 1.559.000 for the 2.8 2WD Auto trans for the basic model. You can get that in many colours 5? so the book says. All Black or all White for the TRD ones they start start at 1.679,000 up to 1.769.000 for the all singing all dancing 2 tone one +++ or --- as the case may be all depending on deals.  

Hope this helps.

I'll put another post in once I have done a long trip on Fuel.

Edited by fredob43

9 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Of a Fortuna?
Unlikely.
Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Do you not get tired of Trolling every topic, denigrating drivers of anything but your brand ?

Like your choice - fine. Have the decency and courtesy to allow others to make their own choices.

They have a word for behavior of this sort in the psychiatric manuals ...

10 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I did ask and they said no. But there could have been a language problem. My technical Thai is at best rubbish, + the sales man didn't speak a word of English all done through a third party who was also Thai. Great fun but got there in the end.

I have the price list in front of me as I tap and it only prices the Spivo 2.8 top on the range in Black and White. Or two tone as they put it. They start at 1.559.000 for the 2.8 2WD Auto trans for the basic model. You can get that in many colours 5? so the book says. All Black or all White for the TRD ones they start start at 1.679,000 up to 1.769.000 for the all singing all dancing 2 tone one +++ or --- as the case may be all depending on deals.  

Hope this helps.

I'll put another post in once I have done a long trip on Fuel.

My understanding from their website is that the sportivo is only available in pearl white or black (both 2wd and 4wd). The lower models are available in many colours. Based on past reviews - the engine is good and it's great off-road. So just wondered about on-road comfort a that is where I'd mostly drive it. I was interested in the everest 2.2 as well but by all accounts it is under-powered in a 2500kg truck. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

My understanding from their website is that the sportivo is only available in pearl white or black (both 2wd and 4wd). The lower models are available in many colours. Based on past reviews - the engine is good and it's great off-road. So just wondered about on-road comfort a that is where I'd mostly drive it. I was interested in the everest 2.2 as well but by all accounts it is under-powered in a 2500kg truck. 

Yes White pearl and Attitude Black? for the TRD. Comfort I can assure you is fine on road, Very smooth & very quiet. Off cant say as I haven't done any of that yet and more than likely wont.

I have driven the 2.2 Everest had a test drive some weeks ago. I can tell you it's a slug well under powered. Complete rubbish loaded 4 peeps. That was on flat roads what it would have been like on hill's Buddha only knows.

Saying that it would have been good enough if you only wanted to potter around in BKK

The 5 pot 3.2 is a different kettle of fish. I did at one time think of buying one instead of the Spivo. Change my mind. I could live with the orange peel paint finish. But they have had gearbox problems, and I didn't like the dated looking head lights. Or front end come to that.

One thing I expect will be changed in a later upgrade.

Engine wise on the Spivo so far so good plenty of power, not that I have pushed it yet. Max rev's I have done is 2.000 I always take it easy with a new lump.

Only way you know if it has changed gear is by looking at the rev counter it's so smooth/quiet you cant even tell.

Ask for a test drive that's if they have one. My local Toyota Garage let me have a Top of the range one for several days to try out. Must have known something. I took that easy as I was down for any damage that occurred.

Edited by fredob43

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Do you not get tired of Trolling every topic, denigrating drivers of anything but your brand ?

Like your choice - fine. Have the decency and courtesy to allow others to make their own choices.

They have a word for behavior of this sort in the psychiatric manuals ...

Tad harsh, what you have to realise is that his lump has more than likely had gearbox oil leaks, and he cant drive it. Or to embarrassed to be seen in it. Yes that'll be it.

20 hours ago, fredob43 said:

As usual a bloody rude off topic post from you.

Tip.

You should never question anyone's pocket.

For your information I worked extremely hard in my early years quite often 16 hours a day 7 days a week, so I could reap the benefits in later life.

Whatever Inheritance I will receive I don't need. Will be giving that to my Daughters once it comes through. Happy now.

No. You've squandered it on (yet another) spivo.