New Toyota Fortuner

46 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Whoever thought up this convoluted asinine feature should be shot by firing squad! 

Agreed - The 'auto-stop-start' feature has been an extremely annoying feature on my last two cars. 

There are possibilities to 'code' your car so that this setting is over-ridden to automatically be off. I'm not sure how the 'coding' would effect the warranty. I've not done this on my past two cars, but looked into the possibility.

Edited by richard_smith237

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, JaiLai said:

do you know if the manual is available to download online? ( in English ).

Thanks.

No there's not you have to ask Toyota for one/two. And more than likely pay.

N/B there are two books one some 400+ pages 200+ in English, for the comp: S/N part and one owners manual for general driving with 632 pages. For Servicing and the likes.

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

Im told the top  sevice foks overide the feature, so its possible to leave it in that mode.They dont like it also.

Why would you want to bugger about overriding the thing? just press a button and it's off. Might be a bit to complicated for some though. EG Those that cant turn the Radio/DVD volume down.

When Driving in BKK for example where it's stop go all the time might come in handy fuel wise.

N/B it only goes off if you stop at lights or in traffic jams, when you leave it in drive with the foot brake on. Just knock it out of D into N. Or you could even just press a button. Pretty simple even for idiots.

At least it's better than my Daughters BMW that has the same set up but there's no way of turning it off.

Edited by fredob43

27 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Wifes Benz was turned off in Showroom, dont even know or want to know how to turn it on either.But then i hate gadgets n gizmoes but love sport mode that rattles yer fillings out and hands free phone ting.:stoner:.

Bit of an Oxymoron. You don't like gadgets but like the hands free phone and sports mode.

Some peeps worry me. 

Edited by fredob43

29 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Bit of an Oxymoron. You don't like gadgets but like the hands free phone and sports mode.

Some peeps worry me. 

There is easy stuff and difficult stuff to understand on modern rides..I for one do not like all the touch screen gizmo's etc, but a simple button on or near the shifter to alter suspension or trans use is no problem for most...:stoner:

58 minutes ago, transam said:

There is easy stuff and difficult stuff to understand on modern rides..I for one do not like all the touch screen gizmo's etc, but a simple button on or near the shifter to alter suspension or trans use is no problem for most...:stoner:

Freddyodbod has just resigned,upset by aThai Visa notification prob.!!

55 minutes ago, transam said:

There is nothing on the touch screen that alters anything whilst driving only used to enter once the Blue tooth phone set up & when you require the S/Nav. Everything else is done with 'Simple' Buttons.  If you enlarge you will see that the speaker volume is on the far left of the S/Wheel marked with a picture of a speaker and a + or - button. Very simple if you ask me.

Sorry it doesn't show the Stop start button as that's on the dash level with the drivers arm rest. ECO & Sports mode is in front of gear stick. Also simple.

For your info AOP I am putting in this last one. Before I get off this site for good. 

IMGP0018.JPG

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

There is nothing on the touch screen that alters anything whilst driving only used to enter once the Blue tooth phone set up & when you require the S/Nav. Everything else is done with 'Simple' Buttons.  If you enlarge you will see that the speaker volume is on the far left of the S/Wheel marked with a picture of a speaker and a + or - button. Very simple if you ask me.

Sorry it doesn't show the Stop start button as that's on the dash level with the drivers arm rest. ECO & Sports mode is in front of gear stick. Also simple.

For your info AOP I am putting in this last one. Before I get off this site for good. 

IMGP0018.JPG

Is that a 747 dash....?

Wossa AOP....is that a handbook thingy...:stoner:

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

IMGP0018.JPG

Damn those are some ugly seats. Did you pay extra for those? 

18 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

IMGP0018.JPG

The seats are nasty, but what gets me it the leather (or plastic) on each side of the SatNav and radio. Totally out of place.

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

IMGP0018.JPG

Dont let the Door....................!!:stoner:

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Agree that those 2 plastics don't look very nice.

actually I quite like the interior of the TRD sportivo. The black leather with red in between looks quite good. But I don't like the other colour interiors of the normal new Fortuners. The beige is really too brown/yellowish. It's much nicer on the old Fortuner I have. I hope they will make some improvements to that. 

Car makers invented auto start-stop systems as a way of improving emission test results.  As far as I can determine in normal driving in LOS, it does nothing for real life fuel consumption.  

Depending on the car, start-stop can be particularly annoying for the driver though, so like Fred, I turn it off on each start.  Apparently the emission test standards require cars to default to start-stop active on restart, making it just that little bit more annoying.    

7 hours ago, Jitar said:

Car makers invented auto start-stop systems as a way of improving emission test results.  As far as I can determine in normal driving in LOS, it does nothing for real life fuel consumption.  

Depending on the car, start-stop can be particularly annoying for the driver though, so like Fred, I turn it off on each start.  Apparently the emission test standards require cars to default to start-stop active on restart, making it just that little bit more annoying.    

Okay, that explains it! I guess we should be thankful we have the option to "turn it off" at all. :dry: Too bad they don't allow the option to turn off the running lights as I don't think they are necessary when the vehicle is parked.