Durian consumption in Chiang Mai a whopping 4 tons a day!

rooster59

Durian consumption in Chiang Mai a whopping 4 tons a day!

aHR0cDovL3BlMi5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQ3MC8yMzU0NDk0L25ld3MxNi5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

You either love it or you hate it - Durian is often called the "King of Fruits" by its dedicated admirers and the nastiest food in the world by those who hate its smell and taste.

It is what the British might call Marmite - a lifelong love or something to always avoid!

But if pictures that have made their way onto Facebook are anything to go by the people of the northern capital cannot get enough of  the creamy yellow fruit.

A veritable mountain of the spiky husks was shown on a Chiang Mai fan page with Sanook suggesting that Thais and tourists were getting through four tons of the fruit a day.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-10

For me it's just a Sunday treat during May. As excellent as it is, it's rather expensive. Durian Mon Tong, the best, I find other varieties have less flavour, and the seeds take up too much room. Don't eat it it under ripe, or over ripe or you will be put off for life.

Have to admit I loath the smell of it, makes me want to throw up, wife loves it, we have a nice big garden and a shelter, she spends the durian days out there. But I am not lying wife had durian sent by post, we where out, the next door neighbour took it it for us when delivered. I went to pick up box and next door neighbour said after she invited me in to her kitchen "Sorry about the smell I think the baby needs changing" A Durian thing.

I did tell her after I picked myself up off the floor.

Even she had to laugh