Phuket’s dangerous driving habits force underpass lane closure

rooster59

5 hours ago, jobwolf said:

How about a few cameras and then send the bills to those breaking the highway code.

If the collection gets enforced there will be no problems. This can be done by 3 people only,

or even by computer like some countries do, even in Africa. It just needs somebody who got the will 

to enforce it and is not corrupt.

I have spotted the flaw in your argument!:shock1:

12 minutes ago, connda said:

Yeah, that sort of road design simply ain't gonna work in a country that doesn't enforce traffic laws so that the public drives in any manner they want - which is usually dangerously.  Road blocks you say?  That's not enforcing traffic laws.  

No they are not "road blocks" per se, just concrete blocks which mean a barrier is put between lanes, a wall to all intents and purposes. They can drive any way they want but a concrete barrier stops them entering another lane.

But agree that the driving here is just terrible.

Three lanes in Thailand is just the best way to create a disaster area. Four lane tunnel with a divider would have

been the smart way to build, so who was the genius who thought up this three lane tunnel in a country in

Asia?

Geezer

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Three lanes in Thailand is just the best way to create a disaster area. Four lane tunnel with a divider would have

been the smart way to build, so who was the genius who thought up this three lane tunnel in a country in

Asia?

Geezer

Lack of space for 4 lanes at that particular junction..

17 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Too small? You mean mini? They work very well ... when drivers know how to use them. Try Googling Swindon's Magic Roundabout.

Swindon's Magic Roundabout fills most British drivers with dread! Can you imagine what it would be like here? They can't even use the Heroine's Monument without blocking off two exits out of four. U-turn culture rules here as it is simple (yet at times very dangerous).

“I have discussed this issue with Phuket Provincial Commander Maj Gen Theerapol Thipjarorn, and he said that there were not enough police officers, who already have lots of other duties to perform, to keep an eye on road users 24 hours a day.

Yes, and we all know what they are .............

Image result for Thai police bribes cartoons

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, madmitch said:

Swindon's Magic Roundabout fills most British drivers with dread! Can you imagine what it would be like here? They can't even use the Heroine's Monument without blocking off two exits out of four. U-turn culture rules here as it is simple (yet at times very dangerous).

I might be mistaken, but I think they recently closed the Dolphin Roundabout in Pattaya.  It no longer goes... 'around'... You can do a U-turn or go right/left but that's it.

Not sure what you call a roundabout you can't go around... a bout?

The tunnel is under ground, so the builders could have made it one lane wider under the ground

with extra support for the surface lanes above ground on both sides.  I seen this done in some

other tunnel projects.  This one was not well thought out, and now it will be a 2 lane tunnel until

the Thai drivers are taught how to use the centre lane properly, and that can take more than a lifetime

to teach.  That is why this three lane concept is useless, basically

Geezer

5 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

The tunnel is under ground, so the builders could have made it one lane wider under the ground

with extra support for the surface lanes above ground on both sides.  I seen this done in some

other tunnel projects.  This one was not well thought out, and now it will be a 2 lane tunnel until

the Thai drivers are taught how to use the centre lane properly, and that can take more than a lifetime

to teach.  That is why this three lane concept is useless, basically

Geezer

Yup exactly lol. Also they could have build a roundabout, rocket launching site or a rollercoaster here at this junction underground but it wouldn't change the situation.

Always good to get inspiring advise.

My thai wife taught her daughter.. With 2 "lessons" on how to drive. The blind leading the blind. Now a 19 year old has a licence to kill. Seriously.. The daughter passed her "test" first time! Her driving is just dangerous! Ridiculous to give her permission to drive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

My thai wife taught her daughter.. With 2 "lessons" on how to drive. The blind leading the blind. Now a 19 year old has a licence to kill. Seriously.. The daughter passed her "test" first time! Her driving is just dangerous! Ridiculous to give her permission to drive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

After my wife obtained her license, I sat with her for one circuit of Nai Han lake which elicited cries of alarm and horror, from me!

She then went to a proper driver training facility to actually learn how to drive. The main skill of the first woman who "trained" her was having a contact at the MDL department.