Proof of Address using tm30

Can you use a tm30 as proof of address. I used to use my 3bb bill for proof but a couple of years ago they said that wasn't enough. I now use my driving license but I'm concerned about what happens when I'm to old to renew my license.

For me, I reside in a furnished apartment  room in Bangkok. for which I have a 3 month rental contract and I pay renal bills for that room each month.

That is all the "proof of residence" I have ever needed for anything in Thailand from immigration to opening a bank account.

5 hours ago, Mattd said:

The OP is not very clear on what the proof of residence is for and who now won't accept it?

You certainly would not get away with a rental contract registering a vehicle for example.

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I was talking about extending my visa due to retirement (11 years now).

2 hours ago, roger101 said:

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I was talking about extending my visa due to retirement (11 years now).

Your extending your permission to stay (not a Visa).

If you rent, a copy of your landlords Tabien Baan and ID card, signed by the landlord are sufficient proof of address for Immigration.

14 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Your extending your permission to stay (not a Visa).

If you rent, a copy of your landlords Tabien Baan and ID card, signed by the landlord are sufficient proof of address for Immigration.

I don't rent as my wife owns the condo (she bought it from my ex wife, who filled in the tm30 years ago).  I don't know what a Tabien Baan is.

25 minutes ago, roger101 said:

I don't rent as my wife owns the condo (she bought it from my ex wife, who filled in the tm30 years ago).  I don't know what a Tabien Baan is.

All you need is a copy of your wife's blue house book (tambien ban) for the condo and a copy of her ID card it she is Thai.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

your wife will know what it is.

You wanna bet. I bought the condo 15 years ago for my first wife, my second wife then bought the condo from her. In all that time I have never seen a blue book. I've seen the paperwork that goes with the sale but that's it.

3 hours ago, roger101 said:

I still don't know what a blue house book is.

Tabien baan or Thai house book is the official local government issued house or apartment address and resident registration booklet. It is an administrative document issued by the local municipality. The persons having their domicile or legal residence at the house or condo unit are registered in the house book.

-- http://www.thailandlawonline.com/article-older-archive/thai-house-registration-and-resident-book

All Thai citizens are required to be registered in a blue house book (tabien bahn).  No foreigners (other than those with permanent residence status) are registered in a blue house book, but they may be registered in a yellow house book (which as you might guess is simply a version of the blue house book for foreigners only).  You can see what they look like at the above link.

It's standard practice that when a Thai citizen wishes to interact with the government they are often asked for a copy of their blue house book and Thai ID card.  This proves who they are (Thai ID card) and where they live (blue house book), or more accurately where they are registered.  It's possible for the Thai citizen to live somewhere other than where they are registered, it they have not bothered to update their registration (addition to a new blue house book and removal from the old blue house book).  

The Thai ID card belongs to the Thai person, but in a sense the Thai person belongs (is recorded in) a blue house book.  The blue house book is associated with a residence.  People come and go, the blue house book stays with the house.  Thais can be added to a blue house book (and simultaneously removed from the blue house book where they used to be registered).  You can think of it as a document showing where someone's legal residence is.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roger101 said:

You wanna bet. I bought the condo 15 years ago for my first wife, my second wife then bought the condo from her. In all that time I have never seen a blue book. I've seen the paperwork that goes with the sale but that's it.

The blue book is usually issued with the Chanote (title deed) when the property is purchased. If wife has the Chanote it should be pretty straight forward to get a new one, either at the land office or local ampher.. You should also be able to get a yellow book (blue book for foreigners) for the property. Then you dont ever have to worry about ID, proof of residence.

As others have said, Thais cant do much without a blue book, banking, Government etc, but your wife may still be registered in her childhood home blue book..

• Like 1

the whole question illustrates a foolishness in the thai immigration system; guest house addresses are not considered 'permanent addresses' but if i own one (not the land) i cannot claim that as my address even tho i live there exclusively for years

28 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

the whole question illustrates a foolishness in the thai immigration system; guest house addresses are not considered 'permanent addresses' but if i own one (not the land) i cannot claim that as my address even tho i live there exclusively for years

You can put down any address, if thats where you live and can produce a copy of the blue book. 

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You can put down any address, if thats where you live and can produce a copy of the blue book. 

The blue book will not contain his name if he is not Thai.  The blue book will identify the address but by itself will not prove his connection to that address.

6 hours ago, YetAnother said:

No foreigner staying at a guest house, including a foreigner who owns 100% of the shares of the juristic person that owns the guest house, can claim the guest house as his permanent address. 

You have a temporary permission to stay in Thailand and therefore any place you stay in Thailand is your temporary address, not your permanent address.

The manager of the guest house, which may be you, must notify your arrival at the guest house with the form TM.30 to immigration or, if available, make this notification online.

If for any transaction you have with immigration, eg notification of staying in Thailand longer than 90 days or application for extension of stay, the immigration officer requires evidence of the TM.30 notifying your arrival has been submitted, a copy of the immigrations receipt or acknowledgement of the online submission of the notification issued to the the guest house will suffice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skatewash said:

The blue book will not contain his name if he is not Thai.  The blue book will identify the address but by itself will not prove his connection to that address.

In a roundabout way it does and if it is acceptable to the immigration office that is all that matters.

The blue house registration book shows the OP's wife as a resident of the residence, the marriage certificate and the mandatory presence of the wife at the immigration office for OP's application for the extension of stay for an interview by the immigration officer and the wife's confirmation during the interview that the OP lives with her at the address indicated on the application form is the proof needed by immigration to connect the OP to that address.

• Like 1