"Goo - meung" - taxi driver rant over change perplexes female passenger

webfact

"Goo - meung" - taxi driver rant over change perplexes female passenger

5pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

BANGKOK: -- A female passenger in a taxi went online to complain after a Bangkok taxi driver started swearing at her for not having the correct change for a 60 baht fare.

Then he pressed the meter again in order to go to a 7/11 to get some small notes adding more than 50% to the fare.

She had handed over 100 baht but the driver got cross and started using the pronouns goo (I) and meung (you) that are indicative of foul and abusive speech in Thai when used with strangers.

Natpaphat Seupphan posted her experience on Facebook along with a film of some of the incident, another thing that irked the driver.

She said that she had hailed the taxi in Pratunam to go to Silom. When they arrived at her hotel she proffered 100 baht for the 60 baht fare. But the driver got cross saying he had no change and she should have thought of that before.

So she suggested they go to a 7/11 where she bought something to get change. However, when they drove back the short distance to the hotel she saw that he was now demanding 95 baht as he had pressed the meter again to go looking for the change.

It appeared on the video that the driver may have decided not to take the extra after all. But he told her to get out and drove off in a huff.

The poster complained that it was terrible to be spoken to in this way especially as it was hardly her fault. Though she did concede that such drivers were in the minority saying there were lots of good drivers in Bangkok.

Manager felt that the Department of Land Transport should act against the driver for impoliteness after the registration of the cab was clearly shown in the video.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-13

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

Though she did concede that such drivers were in the minority saying there were lots of good drivers in Bangkok.

:smile:   Obligatory statement. Can't make a complaint against Taxis unless you make this admission.

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

Then he pressed the meter again in order to go to a 7/11 to get some small notes

I wonder what percentage of 7-11's sales are due to people needing change.

The biggest offence here is the using of bad words. Murder? Meh. Bad words? You've shamed someone! 

Taxi drivers are a public service. They should have change. She didn't hand over 1000 baht, It was 100. At the very least the driver should have 40 baht change. It's just the usual zero planning and zero care again. Always the customer's fault 'cos apparently customers should more professional in Thailand. 

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

It's the only time I use them...

It's a good racket. an ATM out front that only dispenses 1000BHT notes, and a cash register inside filled with change. Win/win for everybody.

"Bangkok taxi driver started swearing at her for not having the correct change...and she should have thought of that before."

Just another example of not having a clue about business. The driver was the businessman in this situation and it was his responsibility to have change. I continually encounter proprietors of local businesses who don't have change, and get on their motor bikes to go around finding 5 - 20 baht worth of change when handed more than the cost of an item. How difficult is it to go to a bank at the beginning of a business day and obtain various denominations in order to  be prepared for customers?

And Thailand wants to compete with the rest of Asia to be the "hub" of business? 

Edited by jaltsc

3 minutes ago, kalidescopemind said:

40 baht is a $1.25 tip.  How cheap is the lady?   I know its not common to tip in Thailand, but why get so worked up over $1.25?  Life is too short.  That taxi ride cost $30 in the USA.

As far as I know Bangkok isn't in the USA, so your statement is completely irrelevant.

I almost never use these parasites but when I do, I carry my "Taxi purse"; a small zipped up purse with loads of coins and 20 & 50 notes. I always give the exact amount, not a satang more, not a satang less.

7 minutes ago, kalidescopemind said:

40 baht is a $1.25 tip.  How cheap is the lady?   I know its not common to tip in Thailand, but why get so worked up over $1.25?  Life is too short.  That taxi ride cost $30 in the USA.

If you listen and understand the conversation, the lady is not rude..neither is she  worked up.....neither is she cheap.....

I know, but you must realize that some taxi drivers must  RENT the use of a taxi from the taxi owner daily, and a few Baht makes a big  difference to what they earn that day as they must pay the daily rent first from what they earn.

1 hour ago, Rob13 said:

I wonder what percentage of 7-11's sales are due to people needing change.

Actually by law (in Thailand and in most if not all countries) the buyer is responsible to give the correct payment. The fact that the final payment amount is not yet known doesn't change that law. 

Although there is a courtesy expectation that the seller provide change this is not required by law. 

However abusive language is another matter and inappropriate. 

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Isn't this a situation where the hotel doorman is the go-to person?

Or have I been spoiled by the hotels we use?

No, You are actually one of the few that are using common sence. Seems that approx 99,7% of the population no longer know what that is.

Keeping change is a bit beyond the foresight and mental ability of many Thais dealing with customer payments.

This girl is lucky she didn't get a samurai sword in the head, like the American a few years ago. 

Don't anger the delicate Thai gods!

:coffee1: 

1 hour ago, kalidescopemind said:

Don't be a pinhead. Do you want to give an exceptional tip to someone who's unpleasant?

2 hours ago, kalidescopemind said:

Dumb argument... Why should she tip anything at all, she is provided a service which she pays the going rate for. 

Do you pay 40% more for bottle of milk at the supermarket ? or do you leave a 40% tip for the cashier?

The issue here is an unscrupulous scummy taxi driver intimidating a female to try and get more money. 

3 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"Bangkok taxi driver started swearing at her for not having the correct change...and she should have thought of that before."

Just another example of not having a clue about business. The driver was the businessman in this situation and it was his responsibility to have change. I continually encounter proprietors of local businesses who don't have change, and get on their motor bikes to go around finding 5 - 20 baht worth of change when handed more than the cost of an item. How difficult is it to go to a bank at the beginning of a business day and obtain various denominations in order to  be prepared for customers?

And Thailand wants to compete with the rest of Asia to be the "hub" of business? 

"Just another example of not having a clue about business"

Yes, that and opening times.  If the sign says "Open at 8am", it should be open at 8am, not 8:30, 9am or whenever they feel like it.  Not long ago, I went to Bangkok Bank on a Sunday morning to pay an internet bill.  The bank was in a local shopping mall, and due to open at 10:30.  After a long queue forming, everybody watching the service staff drinking their coffee and chatting, it opened at 10:50.

Hub of business!  I don't think so.

I have been going to Thailand for the last 38 years and the taxi drivers have gone from bad to worse and now I think they must be some of the worst in the world. No where else in the world I have never been refused because the trip is too far or its too short or its too busy or I'm going home etc.