Woman bitten by dog in hospital seeks Bt1m compensation

snoop1130

dogs don't bite people randomly for no reason unless they are mentally ill.

she probably got too close and accidentally startled the dog.

dogs are usually a good judge of character... the fact that she thinks 1 million baht is reasonable compensation for a dog bite... kind of proves it.

Edited by speckio
adding

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The diamond point of the incident is that dogs should not be allowed inside a hospital.Guide dogs excluded.

The compensation requested is too much but you should have every expectation not to be mauled by a dog while attending a government run hospital.

5 hours ago, speckio said:

dogs are usually a good judge of character... the fact that she thinks 1 million baht is reasonable compensation for a dog bite... kind of proves it.

Dogs might not bite people for no reason, but the reason for a dog to bite can be a huge list:

- coming in its territory

- looking at him

- making noise he dislikes

- coming too close to him

- smelling like another dog or animal

- showing your teeth

- wearing colors he associates with threat

- etc etc etc

Your statement that dogs dont bite without a reason is therefore quite useless.

Sure there was a reason for the dog to bite, but what does that change?

Answer -> nothing

5 hours ago, speckio said:

If she 'accidently startled the dog', you think that is OK for a dog to bite her?

If a dog is startled it should not bite people..... this is a dangerous animal. 

You also seem to think that anyone who is bitten by a dog deserves it as they must have done something wrong... and they must be a bad person... as, according to you, dogs can some how know good and bad people by reading their minds or something.

In your world.. anyone who is bitten by a dog deserved it... they are bad people... and they should be punished, not the dog?  Right?

If you think you have to provoke a "soi-dog" for it to attack you ---  you need to come walk down my soi.       I never walk down my street any more.   Better to drive and not worry about the dogs.    Years ago Pattaya had dog catchers and you could get wild dogs off your street,  not any more.

21 hours ago, Rob13 said:

No I didn't see it; if that's the case that lady needs to find a new hospital.  

Your excellency

It is with the utmost respect and admiration that I am so bold as to address You.

You have opened my eyes.

I am born again.

I see the light now.

I used to think that "if you don't like it here, why don't you leave?" was the most idiotic apologist expression ever.

How mistaken I was.

Silly me. Feel free to punish me whatever way You deem fit. I will not complain.

In one simple post Your Excellency obliterated all the simple apologisms, to replace them by Your divine thought.

>>>>>>>>>> that lady needs to find a new hospital.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  

How true.

How simple.

How perfect.

Of course I would never dare to change Your words, but may I humbly add:

There are hospitals in other countries too! If she doesn't like Thai hospitals, why doesn't she leave?

What will the world (= Thailand) come to, if Thais start having Farang attitudes?

Only dogs that should be in a hospital are guide, service or therapy dogs. And those should be properly trained, leashed or under close supervision by its handler. In this case it was none of the above. The hospital is responsible. No ifs, buts or whatevers. Excuses that the women encroached on the dogs territory, provoked it, or in some other way made the dog bite are irrelevant. The woman is entitled to reasonable compensation.  1MB is just a starting point. That amount made headlines, and headlines is what this case needs as with all other attacks on humans by unleashed, unsupervised dogs on the street, at 7-11 or in hospital.

I love a good dog thread and so it seems do Thai Visa readers - five pages already.

I love to read the dog sympathisers attempting to defend the indefensible.  I love to argue with them as they have already proved their deficiency in the grey matter department by taking this dog-hugging stance.

Put simply working dogs are fine - sniffer/sheep/police etc.  Pampered private pets that consume the world's oxygen/protein/have money lavished on pet food/vets bills/toys/clothes/air-conditioned kennels should all be on a one-way pick-up to Cambodia.

When we turn to the unfortunate Thai packs scavenging for existence/disease-ridden and suffering there can be no more merciful release than a fatal injection.

We know about greed and claims for hefty settlements but as someone said earlier a punitive fine is necessary to alert various institutions to their responsibilities.  Dogs and hospitals are not a healthy mix.

On 6/13/2017 at 9:37 PM, impulse said:

As daft as it may sound, a huge punitive settlement may be just what Thailand needs to make people and businesses re-think how they deal with soi dogs on their property.

Ignore them or feed them or look the other way at your financial peril.

Well i was going to say someting along the same line,great minds think alike!lol.

12 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I love a good dog thread and so it seems do Thai Visa readers - five pages already.

I love to read the dog sympathisers attempting to defend the indefensible.  I love to argue with them as they have already proved their deficiency in the grey matter department by taking this dog-hugging stance.

Put simply working dogs are fine - sniffer/sheep/police etc.  Pampered private pets that consume the world's oxygen/protein/have money lavished on pet food/vets bills/toys/clothes/air-conditioned kennels should all be on a one-way pick-up to Cambodia.

When we turn to the unfortunate Thai packs scavenging for existence/disease-ridden and suffering there can be no more merciful release than a fatal injection.

We know about greed and claims for hefty settlements but as someone said earlier a punitive fine is necessary to alert various institutions to their responsibilities.  Dogs and hospitals are not a healthy mix.

Mike,just to keep things short,any idea how many dogs(pets) help keep people sane?Any idea how big the pet related industry is?True not the same here as in the US but still significant.

22 hours ago, jvs said:

Mike,just to keep things short,any idea how many dogs(pets) help keep people sane?Any idea how big the pet related industry is?True not the same here as in the US but still significant.

Thank you for your polite enquiry. A quick survey = 'Thailand is the largest market in terms of size with 43.6% market share and is expected to dominate through the forecast period. However, Philippines is anticipate to emerge as the most vibrant market in terms of CAGR followed by Vietnam.'

I can't comment on your first question - in my view owning a non-working dog in Thailand is akin to insanity.