Body of missing swimmer found in Phuket

snoop1130

Body of missing swimmer found in Phuket

Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_2017613112110210_DczBPUrYMxwHjGhqaUSOHPhabzPoIGVMjUOyoFXA_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- The body of a Thai man who went missing after swimming in a red-flagged zone at Karon Beach on Sunday (story here) was found near Laem Sai yesterday.

The victim, Arnon Rodjui, was found about 2km from where he first disappeared.

Fishermen in the area informed Karon Police of a body floating near the rocks at about 3pm.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Body-missing-swimmer-found-Phuket/66690?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-6-13

There should be a permanent lifeguard stationed at this spot, with a surfboard for buoyancy at his disposal. This is a killer beach, and many of the drownings go unreported. A local told me that sometimes 2 -3 people are lost every DAY during the rainy season ! and that the authorities keep it quiet so as not to tarnish the reputation. As you are being swept out there is no point in waving or shouting, if you are lucky someone might wave back, and off you go. I had the big red warning put in "The Rough Guide to Thailand" after being swept out from this beach many years ago, and a terrifying thing it is !

Red flags don't mean very much, they are usually at the whim of somebody. Where I live a hotel flies the red flag and it means nothing. I swim all the time and there isn't an issue.

It would be better to educate people about rip currents and not panicking. Panic kills. If you get caught in a rip you swim parallel to the beach and let it push you out of the problem. Or just float and relax and the the rip will carry you out for a while. They do not keep going for ever,  usually a few hundred meters or at worst half a kilometer. Then you can swim back to shore avoiding the rip. Sadly people drown from ignorance and fear.

29 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

There should be a permanent lifeguard stationed at this spot, with a surfboard for buoyancy at his disposal. This is a killer beach, and many of the drownings go unreported. A local told me that sometimes 2 -3 people are lost every DAY during the rainy season ! and that the authorities keep it quiet so as not to tarnish the reputation. As you are being swept out there is no point in waving or shouting, if you are lucky someone might wave back, and off you go. I had the big red warning put in "The Rough Guide to Thailand" after being swept out from this beach many years ago, and a terrifying thing it is !

I think you local source may be rather prone to exaggeration!