Savannakhet vs Vientiane

I forgot to season, so I need to get a non-o visa in Laos.

In the past, I would always get my visa in Vientiane usually by taking the overnight train then have one of the guys at the border would drive me directly to a consulate, so I can apply for a visa the same morning I arrive. 

Would it be possible to do the same in Savannakhet? Say I take an overnight bus and arrive in the morning? Will I be able to apply the same morning?

Normally, I wouldn't mind staying an extra day, but at least Vientiane has some good food. Not so sure what to do in Savannakhet. I can't drink.

Edit:

Travelling from Bangkok

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

What would the non-o visa be based upon? 

You can take the overnight bus to Mukdahan and then take the bus to Savannakhet from the same bus terminal you will arrive at. You would have time to apply on the same day.

Marriage. 

So, after I take a 50 baht bus from Mukdahan there should be (I assume) tuktuks to drive me directly to consulate after I cross the border? 

Yes. From the busstation Savannakhet to the consulate the tuk tucks ask also for 50 Baht.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Marriage. 

So, after I take a 50 baht bus from Mukdahan there should be (I assume) tuktuks to drive me directly to consulate after I cross the border? 

Marriage no problem. It has gotten harder to get them for being 50 or over for retirement is why I asked.

You get a tuk tuk to the consulate from the bridge or walk from the bus station to the consulate (it is not far away).

• Like 1

Marriage no problem. It has gotten harder to get them for being 50 or over for retirement is why I asked.
You get a tuk tuk to the consulate from the bridge or walk from the bus station to the consulate (it is not far away).

Your right ubonjoe, it's not far away. But in the heat and with baggage after a 12 hour ride, it can be a challenge.

• Like 1

Yes agreed Savannakhet is easy for non o based on marriage. Before i started taking vehicle over i got a tuk tuk from bridge direct to hotel droped luggage of in reception (organised in advance with hotel never had a problem).

Then jumped back in tuk tuk who waited for us back to consulate for about 1000hrs never a queue always go on a Wednesday personally.

Then we walk twds bus station theres a nice air con cafe on the keft as you walk down. Spend a couple if hours in there slowly drinking coffee. Then get a tuk tuk to hotel which also serves food so we eat then its time for book in.

Works a treat.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Yes agreed Savannakhet is easy for non o based on marriage. Before i started taking vehicle over i got a tuk tuk from bridge direct to hotel droped luggage of in reception (organised in advance with hotel never had a problem).

Then jumped back in tuk tuk who waited for us back to consulate for about 1000hrs never a queue always go on a Wednesday personally.

Then we walk twds bus station theres a nice air con cafe on the keft as you walk down. Spend a couple if hours in there slowly drinking coffee. Then get a tuk tuk to hotel which also serves food so we eat then its time for book in.

Works a treat.

Which hotel Do you stay in Savanakhet ??

9 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Pilgrims kithchen and inn its on booking . Com

Yeah I've Seen it Mate, Any Good ?? I've provisionally booked The Avalon Residence for August,But Can cancel for Free.....

Edited by Nong Khai Man

6 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Yeah I've Seen it Mate, Any Good ?? I've provisionally booked The Muk Lagoon for August,But Can cancel for Free.....

I like it clean staff are exellent and the food in the restaurant is exellent. Tried the Avalon just after it opened  last year  personaly i was not impressed.  

6 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Pilgrim kitchen is in agoda.com. But was full. So I booked avalon residence again. Just between bus station and consulate.

I've Booked Avalon Residence Is it Any Good as you have stayed there before....& Is it Walking distance from The Consulate ??

I've Booked Avalon Residence Is it Any Good as you have stayed there before....& Is it Walking distance from The Consulate ??

Internet is great. Avalon Caffè offers nice sandwiches. Maybe a 10 minute walk to the consulate. Or 50 baht with tuk tuk.

Just now, Nong Khai Man said:

As stated i was not impressed it had only just opened mind but first impressions and all that i wouldnt stay there again. Luckily it was only one night stop over not visa related. On our way back from driving holiday. But others say they like it so!!

As stated i was not impressed it had only just opened mind but first impressions and all that i wouldnt stay there again. Luckily it was only one night stop over not visa related. On our way back from driving holiday. But others say they like it so!!

I liked it. There is a restaurant. 5 star ice or so... Ice cream, Thai food and beer.

However, one thing is for sure. The locals are very friendly and helpful. Lovely people these Savannakhetians.

• Like 1

I'm Sticking with Avalon Residence,As Pilgrims Kitchen only had 1 Room left on Booking.Com but that had NO Window & I Think it would've been a bit claustrophobic !!

Nothing wrong with avalon residence imo. Let us know your experience.

Just now, Nong Khai Man said:

I'm Sticking with Avalon Residence,As Pilgrims Kitchen only had 1 Room left on Booking.Com but that had NO Window & I Think it would've been a bit claustrophobic !!

Actualy its not used that room a few times but i get what your saying. I by the way have confused the Avalon with the aura. Never stayed in Avalon it was the new one next door i used the aura.

• Like 1

Just now, jeab1980 said:

Actualy its not used that room a few times but i get what your saying. I by the way have confused the Avalon with the aura. Never stayed in Avalon it was the new one next door i used the aura.

O.K We All get confused from time to time, Just blame it on The HEAT !!

• Like 1

Avalon is okay for location in terms of bus station, consulate and nearby food options. Rooms vary in quality but it good for asia standards.

Only downside is getting bit popular which means most of people you see at consulate you'll see again at Avalon !

Also slower get booked in and nice room as generally too busy for a perfect service scenario .

Easy walk to consulate, nice and cool in morning when come in on bus and no point being early so avoiding tuk-tuk works best and saves ballache of haggling and saves you lot of money if learn way around on foot, it really is a 12 minute stroll .

For 1 day in savanakhet it really not hard occupy yourself if make some effort .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I found it very claustrophobic with no windows, that is the only reason I would not stay at pilgrims again.

everything else about pilgrims (staff, food, comfort, value) was really good.

1 minute ago, Doiger said:

I found it very claustrophobic with no windows, that is the only reason I would not stay at pilgrims again.

everything else about pilgrims (staff, food, comfort, value) was really good.

So why not book a room with windows?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alocacoc said:

I liked it. There is a restaurant. 5 star ice or so... Ice cream, Thai food and beer.

However, one thing is for sure. The locals are very friendly and helpful. Lovely people these Savannakhetians.

They certainly are very friendly and helpful, I like Savannakhet too.

19 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Yes. From the busstation Savannakhet to the consulate the tuk tucks ask also for 50 Baht.

50 Bt for a Tuktuk at Savanaket.. you would be lucky.. this guys are tuktuk mafia.. they will hit you for 2 or 3 hundred Bt..

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Ignoring the visa question (I have a 'retirement' one) I've never been to Laos.  Which city would folk recommend for a short holiday.  Any travel tips would help leaving from Bang Saray Pattaya.

Luang Prabang.. In Laos is good for a visit.. fly from Vientiang.. flights are cheap..  

2 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

50 Bt for a Tuktuk at Savanaket.. you would be lucky.. this guys are tuktuk mafia.. they will hit you for 2 or 3 hundred Bt..

The Tuk Tuk was menat from the Savannakhet Busstation to the Consulate. 50 Baht.

• Like 1