Apply visa as father of thai child

What kind of documents i need to do for obtain a visa s father of thai child?What kind of visa can obtain? How much it will cost and where is the best place for do it?

Thanks for your answers

You can apply for a non-immigrant visa category O, non-O visa for short, to visit your child of Thai nationality.

The best place to apply is a Thai consulate or the consular section of the Thai embassy in you country of residence.

The minimum requirement is a copy of the child's birth certificate, but you should check with your local consulate what other documents, if any, they require.

I just renewed my non immigrant multi entry O visa based on based on child dependants and de facto relationship. This visa is valid for one year but you have to leave the country every 90 days. The consulate requested the following :

-A round trip ticket paid in full

-Bank statement with adequate financial support. 200,000 baht per person 

-a copy of marriage cert, if your married.

-copies of children's birth certs

-an original letter from spouse/family member in Thailand verifying stay a if relationship and support for applicants visa

-copy of Thai spouses valid Thai ID card, valid passport, Thai house registration 

-letter from applicants employer verifying relationship and reason for visiting Thailand confirming relationship 

-passport with validity of no less than 6 months

-one recent photo of applicant attached to duly completed visa application form 

-copy of both spouse/family members passport bio data pages.

If you have 400,000 baht in the bank, Penang has pretty friendly requirements for issuing Non O visas for those with a Thai child. The cost of a one year multiple is 750 MYR. There are threads here with more details. (Try a google search "site:www.thaivisa.com Penang Thai child".)

I know that different Thai consulates might ask for different documents/requirements.

My case (using for a few years already)

I apply to the Thai consulate for a Non O visa (you can download the form from any Thai consular site)

I fill the form, add a copy of my son's birth certificate, 2 recent passport photos, a copy of my flight ticket, and a copy of a recent statement of my bank account here in the US.I also add a money order for whatever the visa costs. (I believe it is presently 80.00 $ for single entry and 200 $ for multiple entries)

That's it. they call me when my Visa is ready to be picked up.

you get a 1 year non O visa, but have to do a border run (out and in) every 3 months.

as I said, different consulates might have different rules.

see link here:

http://www.thaiconsulatemiami.com/thai-family-visa.html

hope this helps

Thaisabai

As previous answers mention, it depends a lot on WHERE you are now.

In the Thai embassies and consulates in border countries you will have to show the ORIGINAL birth certificate of the child, among other things.

I have such a non-O visa, so I may be able to give you more information, depending on where you plan to make your application.

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, Dimebag said:

I just renewed my non immigrant multi entry O visa based on based on child dependants and de facto relationship. This visa is valid for one year but you have to leave the country every 90 days. The consulate requested the following :

-A round trip ticket paid in full

-Bank statement with adequate financial support. 200,000 baht per person 

-a copy of marriage cert, if your married.

-copies of children's birth certs

-an original letter from spouse/family member in Thailand verifying stay a if relationship and support for applicants visa

-copy of Thai spouses valid Thai ID card, valid passport, Thai house registration 

-letter from applicants employer verifying relationship and reason for visiting Thailand confirming relationship 

-passport with validity of no less than 6 months

-one recent photo of applicant attached to duly completed visa application form 

-copy of both spouse/family members passport bio data pages.

Thailand doesn't acknowledge de facto relationships. The rest of your info is very suspect.

On 6/17/2017 at 8:36 PM, tryasimight said:

Thailand doesn't acknowledge de facto relationships. The rest of your info is very suspect.

No Thailand doesn't acknowledge de facto relationship but they do offer the type o visa as a parent of a Thai born child. 

What is suspect? This is what was requested from me last month, after applying for this visa for the first time in this particular country. Which is a lot more than i usually need in my home country.

Edited by Dimebag
  • Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, tryasimight said:

Just where in Thailand do you apply for a Non Imm O ME Visa based on Thai child?

3 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Not in Thailand. The Royal Thai Consulate in Penang can issue such a visa

Jeez, read the previous posts I was replying to.

The point is tryasimight said Thailand doesn't recognise 'de fact' relationships, but the fact is Dimebag didn't get such a Visa from within Thailand.

47 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Jeez, read the previous posts I was replying to.

The point is tryasimight said Thailand doesn't recognise 'de fact' relationships, but the fact is Dimebag didn't get such a Visa from within Thailand.

Hey! Yes I read the post before. No Dimebag talk about a consulate. I know that.
tryasimight is also pointing at that Thailand does not recognise de facto relationship, which is also right.
I guess it´s just you that don´t understand. He is never saying that you can get that visa inside Thailand. All he is saying is that Thailand doesn´t recognise that sort of relation in the rules for applying for a visa. I guess you understand as well as everybody else that the consulates and embassies where you apply for a visa are controlled be the rules and regulations set in Thailand. That due to that they represent the country in another land. I guess that was what tryasimight meant too. Just you that didn´t get it.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I would really appreciate it, if anyone could provide the full set of requirements for both single and multiple non-O visas for an unmarried father, under the age of 50, of a Thai child.

From other topics Penang, Vientiane and Savannakhet seem to be the best options, but couldn't find anything definitive for 2018, so thought it was best to double check.

10 hours ago, jimjum said:

I would really appreciate it, if anyone could provide the full set of requirements for both single and multiple non-O visas for an unmarried father, under the age of 50, of a Thai child.

From other topics Penang, Vientiane and Savannakhet seem to be the best options, but couldn't find anything definitive for 2018, so thought it was best to double check.

You can only get a single entry non-o visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet. Penang will do a multiple entry non-o with 400k baht in a bank or 40k baht of income.

You will need your child's birth certificate plus a copy and a copy of their house book registry at all locations (and financial proof in Penang).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jimjum said:

When are you planning to go?

I'm currently on a visa exemption, for the first time in a long time, so would either go at the end of this month or get a 30-day extension and go towards the end of next month.

I have signed copies of the house book registry at their current registered location, which is the same address as the mother's id card, for which I have a signed copy.

I have a signed copy and the original birth certificate. However both the mothers and my daughters name have changed since the original birth certificate was issued.

My daughter's name was changed to a western name with my surname and though unmarried I am the legal father, for which I have the original and a signed copy of the official document.

The mother was born, and therefore our daughter, with a Chinese surname and shortly after my daughter's name changed, the mother changed hers to a lucky Thai name.

I have the original and signed copies of the official name change documents.

Firstly, am I missing any documents to apply at either Savannakhet or Penang?

Secondly, I understand that the first time I apply at Penang I can only get a single entry, so how much in a Thai bank will I need to show for a single entry?

You will need the original birth certificate in Savnakhet but a copy in Penang is OK but I think it will be at the discretion of the consulate to accept the name change documents etc. If you are named as the father on the original birth certificate that helps. The house book should also have been changed when they changed their names.

I made several multi entry non o in Penang based on being the father of a Thai child, the last time he warned me to get an extension of stay at local immigration in Thailand

I recently enquired to the London consulate about getting a single entry non o, they said they couldn't give me one as I don't have the court order saying I am the sole guardian of my children even though they have Thai and UK birth certificates and passports....the joys

Thanks Jo (?) for the response and the warning about London.

I am named as the father on the original birth certificate. It's the name change documents that have me worried as I currently only have the current house book with the new names.

Could someone please confirm that it is probable that I will also need the parent's original house book, which included the original names that match the original birth certificate?

With 200k in the bank, any idea which is friendlier for a single non-o for an unmarried legal father under the age of 50, Savannakhet, Penang or anywhere else nearby?

13 hours ago, jimjum said:

I am named as the father on the original birth certificate. It's the name change documents that have me worried as I currently only have the current house book with the new names.

Could someone please confirm that it is probable that I will also need the parent's original house book, which included the original names that match the original birth certificate?

With 200k in the bank, any idea which is friendlier for a single non-o for an unmarried legal father under the age of 50, Savannakhet, Penang or anywhere else nearby?

If you have the name change documents and a copies of the house book registry showing their current names it should not be a problem.

You will not need the old house book copies.

Only Penang want financial proof for a non-o. Vientiane and Savannakhet will do one with no financial proof.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I do have the paper for the court (fathership), birth certificate (with my name on it), 500k in a Thai Bank a Condo under my name .is there anything else I’m missing?

is it possible those days to get a non O multi entry somewhere (Vientiene?) or should I just get a single entry and then go through all the process at the Immigration in Bangkok for a multiple non-O?

I’m going to Hong Kong next week, anyone has experience with them? 

They use to be very rude a couple of years ago, probably I won’t get more then a single entry non O in there.

13 minutes ago, kerr17 said:

Hi,

I do have the paper for the court (fathership), birth certificate (with my name on it), 500k in a Thai Bank a Condo under my name .is there anything else I’m missing?

is it possible those days to get a non O multi entry somewhere (Vientiene?) or should I just get a single entry and then go through all the process at the Immigration in Bangkok for a multiple non-O?

I’m going to Hong Kong next week, anyone has experience with them? 

They use to be very rude a couple of years ago, probably I won’t get more then a single entry non O in there.

As I wrote earlier Penang will do a multiple entry non-o visa for being the parent of a Thai if you have at least 400k baht in the bank.

Others will only issue a single entry. Hong Kong might not issue a single entry visa for you.

Since you already have more than 400k baht in the bank getting a one year extension of stay at immigration would be best since you would not have to leave the country every 90 days. Bangkok is not the only office where you can apply for it and you also have to apply at the designated office for where you are living.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote earlier Penang will do a multiple entry non-o visa for being the parent of a Thai if you have at least 400k baht in the bank.

Others will only issue a single entry. Hong Kong might not issue a single entry visa for you.

Since you already have more than 400k baht in the bank getting a one year extension of stay at immigration would be best since you would not have to leave the country every 90 days. Bangkok is not the only office where you can apply for it and you also have to apply at the designated office for where you are living.

Thanks a lot. I just wanted to double check if that was still the case in Penang (I mistakenly wrote Vientiene earlier).

I live in Bangkok and I travel often so it would be no problem for me to exit every 90 days. non O multi entry is in fact what suit me best ( better then do the report anyway).

I guess it’s easier to get a tourist Visa in Hong Kong for then plan my trip to Penang within 2 months? Does that makes sense?

Any other document I’m missing?

thank you so much in advance 

16 minutes ago, kerr17 said:

I guess it’s easier to get a tourist Visa in Hong Kong for then plan my trip to Penang within 2 months? Does that makes sense?

Any other document I’m missing?

You could try for a single entry non-o in Hong Kong and then a tourist visa if they did not accept your application.

You need your child's birth certificate plus a copy, copy of their house book registry and proof you have legalized your parenthood.

You could also get a 60 day extension to visit your child of your current entry to get some more time.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could try for a single entry non-o in Hong Kong and then a tourist visa if they did not accept your application.

You need your child's birth certificate plus a copy, copy of their house book registry and proof you have legalized your parenthood.

You could also get a 60 day extension to visit your child of your current entry to get some more time.

You mean I could extend my current 30 days at the entry with an extra 60 days? I didn’t know that. I thought an extra 30 days is the maximum I could have get.

I’d definitely head to Penang anyway.

Would 3 days (2 nights) be enough for the entire process?

thanks a lot, very helpful info indeed

24 minutes ago, kerr17 said:

You mean I could extend my current 30 days at the entry with an extra 60 days? I didn’t know that. I thought an extra 30 days is the maximum I could have get.

Yes you can extend your 30 day visa exempt entry for 60 days. Bangkok immigration will even do the 60 day extension after you get the 30 day extension of it.

25 minutes ago, kerr17 said:

Would 3 days (2 nights) be enough for the entire process?

thanks a lot, very helpful info indeed

That will be enough. You apply the morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can extend your 30 day visa exempt entry for 60 days. Bangkok immigration will even do the 60 day extension after you get the 30 day extension of it.

That will be enough. You apply the morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon.

Thank you, much appreciated 

Edited by kerr17

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 1:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

Hi ubonjoe. 

I'm in Chiangmai now. I have a child with my Thai girlfriend (not married). Already did the 30 day extension to my 30 day visa exempt entry. Can I get another 60 day extension at Chiangmai immigration? What form and documents do I need for this? Thanks. 

8 hours ago, BrianT said:

Hi ubonjoe. 

I'm in Chiangmai now. I have a child with my Thai girlfriend (not married). Already did the 30 day extension to my 30 day visa exempt entry. Can I get another 60 day extension at Chiangmai immigration? What form and documents do I need for this? Thanks. 

No sure about what Chiang Mai immigration will do. You would need to check with them about it.

You will use the standard TM7 form used for all extension. Your child will need to be with you when you apply. You will need their birth certificate plus a copy of their house book registry. Plus the normal copies of your passport pages.

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No sure about what Chiang Mai immigration will do. You would need to check with them about it.

You will use the standard TM7 form used for all extension. Your child will need to be with you when you apply. You will need their birth certificate plus a copy of their house book registry. Plus the normal copies of your passport pages.

Ok. I will check with them about it. Does the same apply if I want to apply for the 60 day extension to a 30 day visa exempt entry? i.e. All the relevant documents and my child needs to come along too? She is in school on weekdays