Apply visa as father of thai child

10 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Does the same apply if I want to apply for the 60 day extension to a 30 day visa exempt entry?

Same requirements for both cases.

11 minutes ago, BrianT said:

All the relevant documents and my child needs to come along too? She is in school on weekdays 

Yes she does have to be with you. It is required to prove your have a relationship and that she living in the same province as you are when you apply.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:05 AM, ubonjoe said:

Same requirements for both cases.

Yes she does have to be with you. It is required to prove your have a relationship and that she living in the same province as you are when you apply.

I'm thinking of getting the Non O 90 day single entry visa for my next trip here. I understand that I can then apply for the one year extension in Chiangmai immigration? Any additional requirements for this?

How does the one year extension work? Can I stay in Thailand for one more year without leaving the country? Thanks. 

2 hours ago, BrianT said:

I'm thinking of getting the Non O 90 day single entry visa for my next trip here. I understand that I can then apply for the one year extension in Chiangmai immigration? Any additional requirements for this?

You must be the legal father of your child by way of marriage or legitimization of your parenthood.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

2 hours ago, BrianT said:

How does the one year extension work? Can I stay in Thailand for one more year without leaving the country? Thanks. 

You can apply for another one year extension every year. No need to leave the country.

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

But do you have to report every 90 days?

Yes of course you have to do a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country if you stay that long.

Not a big deal since they can be done in person, online or by mail.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently Penang doesn't not give the Multi Entry Non 'O' anymore.

This is what I was told by email:

"According to your case, We might to issue Non"O" single entry 90 days after that you have apply for long staying or extent at The immigration office in Thailand"

Same thing in Hong Kong or KL.

I guess there is no way I can skip the hassle of Chaengwattana Immigration anymore...... 

On 7/31/2018 at 11:43 AM, kerr17 said:

Hi,

I do have the paper for the court (fathership), birth certificate (with my name on it), 500k in a Thai Bank a Condo under my name .is there anything else I’m missing?

is it possible those days to get a non O multi entry somewhere (Vientiene?) or should I just get a single entry and then go through all the process at the Immigration in Bangkok for a multiple non-O?

I’m going to Hong Kong next week, anyone has experience with them? 

They use to be very rude a couple of years ago, probably I won’t get more then a single entry non O in there.

Hong Kong is ok but I cannot confirm what visa I applied for. I am pretty sure it was a 60 day tourist as I have always opted for Vientiane for hassle free non O. Some little HK slip/reciept you need. If you are needing printouts there's a place close by. The visa place is in a type of mall you walk on a footbridge. The print place is below the footbridge 100 metres away. Peasanos pizza is worth finding.  Chunking mansions is cheap and all sorts you can buy very locally. I'm 3/3 on Vientiane for non O as unmarried father It's so easy I dare not try another place and London is just not interested in giving non O imo.

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Hong Kong is ok but I cannot confirm what visa I applied for. I am pretty sure it was a 60 day tourist as I have always opted for Vientiane for hassle free non O. Some little HK slip/reciept you need. If you are needing printouts there's a place close by. The visa place is in a type of mall you walk on a footbridge. The print place is below the footbridge 100 metres away. Peasanos pizza is worth finding.  Chunking mansions is cheap and all sorts you can buy very locally. I'm 3/3 on Vientiane for non O as unmarried father It's so easy I dare not try another place and London is just not interested in giving non O imo.

Thanks, I just did the 2 months tourist visa there last month. I was however told that I should have applied for the Non O next time, since I have 2 kids (which I already did there 1-2 years ago).

I'm however looking for a multi entry non 0 which would make me avoid the annoying hassle in Changwattana.

For Vientiene, are you talking about the single entry or multi entry non O?

Just now, kerr17 said:

Thanks, I just did the 2 months tourist visa there last month. I was however told that I should have applied for the Non O next time, since I have 2 kids (which I already did there 1-2 years ago).

I'm however looking for a multi entry non 0 which would make me avoid the annoying hassle in Changwattana.

For Vientiene, are you talking about the single entry or multi entry non O?

Single. So how did they know you had two kids? Previous applications? Scanning passport stamps?

3 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Single. So how did they know you had two kids? Previous applications? Scanning passport stamps?

Previous application and multiple questions. In fact they weren't very happy that I had overstayed a couple of times (once for 2 days and once for 6 days) and wanted me to fill an extra document stating the reason why I overstayed (my daughter was ill) which I found it very weird and annoying since I already paid and clear it at the immigration once it happened.

Single I could get it pretty much everywhere since I have the fathership document released by a Thai court, I was just looking for a place where they give you directly a multi entry like they used to do it once.

Just now, kerr17 said:

Previous application and multiple questions. In fact they weren't very happy that I had overstayed a couple of times (once for 2 days and once for 6 days) and wanted me to fill an extra document stating the reason why I overstayed (my daughter was ill) which I found it very weird and annoying since I already paid and clear it at the immigration once it happened.

Single I could get it pretty much everywhere since I have the fathership document released by a Thai court, I was just looking for a place where they give you directly a multi entry like they used to do it once.

Just to confirm. You obtained legitimacy as the father through the courts?

May I ask

How old child was at time

Was a dna test required

How long did process take

Ball park cost?

10 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

May I ask

Was a dna test required

Ball park cost?

I have 2 daughters, I think they were 7 and 4 more or less at the time (few years back).

No DNA test required. The mother were however with me in tribunal and few questions were asked to both of us. Obviously you need her consent.

Can't remember how long it took to be honest, but didn't take too long, maybe few weeks? Perhaps someone else can answer your question.

Cost was around 15k more or less, including the lawyer fees, but again not entirely sure as I don't remember. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 1:30 AM, Rc2702 said:

May I ask

Was a dna test required

Ball park cost?

It took me 3 months to get it finally cleared, after 1 month I had to go to the Children's Welfare for an interview, then after another month I had to go to the Children's Court with a translator, when that was completed they give the mother a month to see if she wants to change her mind before giving the final paper which has to be shown at the Amhper

The cost for me was 12000 baht including a translator 

• Like 1

It took me 3 months to get it finally cleared, after 1 month I had to go to the Children's Welfare for an interview, then after another month I had to go to the Children's Court with a translator, when that was completed they give the mother a month to see if she wants to change her mind before giving the final paper which has to be shown at the Amhper

The cost for me was 12000 baht including a translator 

You’re correct.
I followed exactly the same procedure and the cost was pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I'm currently separated from my wife, pending divorce.

We have a 6 year old daughter together and i've been on a "Marriage Visa" for the past 8 years.

My visa is due to expire in October 2019, but which time the divorce should be completed.  So i would really like to get the visa based on being the parent of my daughter.

I have a work permit, and i also have 400k in the bank, as well as all the birth certification documents, etc.

However, here's where it gets tricky...

I live and work on one of the islands in the Gulf of Thailand, working in the dive industry.

My (soon to be ex) wife now lives in Bangkok with my daughter because my daughter has autism and there are no schools here on the island that can meet her education/development needs.

So basically, i'm working here to support both my wife and daughter, and if i was forced to leave things could go pear-shaped very quickly.

My concern/confusion over this option to apply for a visa based on supporting my daughter is that we are not living in the same province.

I'm hearing conflicting accounts of this being a requirement or not.

If it is, i'm assuming there wouldn't be any chance of them assessing my situation on its own merits?

Clearly, i cannot relocate to Bangkok as i work in the diving industry, and my daughter cannot relocate back down to the island because there is no option for her schooling here.

My big worry is that this rule (if it exists) will be set in stone, with no consideration of the actual circumstances.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

15 minutes ago, deecfc67 said:

I live and work on one of the islands in the Gulf of Thailand, working in the dive industry.

My (soon to be ex) wife now lives in Bangkok with my daughter because my daughter has autism and there are no schools here on the island that can meet her education/development needs.

https://specialneedsschoolsamui.com

11 minutes ago, deecfc67 said:

Thanks for that mate.  Unfortunately i'm based on one of the other islands.

If they had something similar here it would be a godsend.

But you will have to use the Samui immigration office 

I'm assuming you have an extension based on marriage (not a Visa).

Are you aware.

1. Your extension will immediately cease on the date of divorce.

2. You won't be able to renew your WP based on marriage anymore.

25 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I'm assuming you have an extension based on marriage (not a Visa).

Are you aware.

1. Your extension will immediately cease on the date of divorce.

2. You won't be able to renew your WP based on marriage anymore.

Hi.

Yes, i know my extension based on marriage will cease once the divorce is finalised.  This is likely to be in October, around the same time my visa expires.

I can still get a visa based on my WP but obviously that means yearly trips to Penang, plus 3-monthly "border runs".

Obviously these are doable, but a real pain.  That's why i'm exploring the possibility of the extension based on supporting my daughter, even though we live in different provinces.

It just seems a bit daft that i possibly can't get the extension based on support due to my daughter and i living in different provinces, because as i originally posted, i work in the diving industry and she requires schooling that is not availble here.

There IS a special needs school in Samui, but as my wife's parents live in Bangkok, it's much easier for them to stay there and use the special needs school in the local area.
If she were to move to Samui to use the school there, i'd then have to cover the costs of them living there, which financially would be a stretch too far.

Your options as far as I can see are;

Obtain an initial B Visa, then extend at local IO using documentation from your company, or

Return to Bangkok, do a formal change of address (TM28 and TM30) then extend based on Thai child.

You can file 90 day reports online or by mail, or ex wife could do them in person if your still amicable.

What I don't know is if you can obtain a WP based on extension of Thai child as opposed to marriage.

UJ can probably answer that question.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

What I don't know is if you can obtain a WP based on extension of Thai child as opposed to marriage.

Thai is possible since the extension is based upon being the parent of a Thai.

But not sure he would be able to get the work permit in a different province than where his extension is issued.

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Obtain an initial B Visa, then extend at local IO using documentation from your company

The problem with that option might be getting an extension based upon working. It requires meeting a minimum salary plus several other requirements that his employer might be able to meet.

One option would be to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage before he gets divorced or one afterwards based upon being the parent of Thai.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

One option would be to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage before he gets divorced or one afterwards based upon being the parent of Thai.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I had considered asking the wife to delay the divorce until after i apply for another 1 year extension, based on marriage.  This would at least give me another year's breathing space.

She's fairly open to doing this but of course, at any moment IO guys could come to my house to check that we're living together.

It's never happened before, but sod's law and all that...

Ideally i would like to sort out the divorce and then try to get my future extensions based on being the parent of my Thai/UK (Thai born) daughter.

The issue is whether or not it's possible with me living in a different province from my daughter, even though the reasons for this are my work location and her school location.

I have 400k in the bank, have a work permit and earn the required minimum for visa requirements.

So it seems i meet almost all of the criteria, with the possible exception of this separate province thing.

Do you guys know if the "living in the same province" thing is a confirmed requirement, and if it is, how stringent is it?  I'd hope that the reason i'm living in a different province is due to the fact i'm working to support my daughter would be taken into consideration.  But knowing how things tend to work in the LOS, i'm not overly confident...

1 hour ago, deecfc67 said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I had considered asking the wife to delay the divorce until after i apply for another 1 year extension, based on marriage.  This would at least give me another year's breathing space.

She's fairly open to doing this but of course, at any moment IO guys could come to my house to check that we're living together.

It's never happened before, but sod's law and all that...

Ideally i would like to sort out the divorce and then try to get my future extensions based on being the parent of my Thai/UK (Thai born) daughter.

The issue is whether or not it's possible with me living in a different province from my daughter, even though the reasons for this are my work location and her school location.

I have 400k in the bank, have a work permit and earn the required minimum for visa requirements.

So it seems i meet almost all of the criteria, with the possible exception of this separate province thing.

Do you guys know if the "living in the same province" thing is a confirmed requirement, and if it is, how stringent is it?  I'd hope that the reason i'm living in a different province is due to the fact i'm working to support my daughter would be taken into consideration.  But knowing how things tend to work in the LOS, i'm not overly confident...

Since I am right now into the application process for extension based on having a Thai child, I can tell you that, at least in my province, the immigration does indeed check that the child and his father live in the same house. 

The chief of the local immigration came himself to my home and spent more than an hour interrogating witnesses, filling forms, taking pictures, to confirm that I was indeed living here and had done so for quite some time... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Since I am right now into the application process for extension based on having a Thai child, I can tell you that, at least in my province, the immigration does indeed check that the child and his father live in the same house. 

The chief of the local immigration came himself to my home and spent more than an hour interrogating witnesses, filling forms, taking pictures, to confirm that I was indeed living here and had done so for quite some time... 

Thanks for that.

It seems unlikely that i'll have any chance or getting the extension based on supporting my daughter then, going by your experience.

Seems crazy that i can't get a visa extension to support her, whilst working here legally, just because my work requires me to live in a different province.

Can't say i'm surprised though.  It is the land of beaurocracy after all...

4 hours ago, deecfc67 said:

Your extension based on marriage ceases to be valid as soon as your divorce becomes final. That is why a multiple entry Non O based on marriage is preferable, as it will still remain valid after the divorce. The problem is that the labour department might well baulk at extending your work permit three months at a time each time you do a border bounce for a fresh 90-day entry.

Just now, BritTim said:

The problem is that the labour department might well baulk at extending your work permit three months at a time each time you do a border bounce for a fresh 90-day entry.

The work permit would be issued for a year not 90 days. They are tied to a permit to stay. That was changed several years ago.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:
1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The problem is that the labour department might well baulk at extending your work permit three months at a time each time you do a border bounce for a fresh 90-day entry.

The work permit would be issued for a year not 90 days. They are tied to a permit to stay. That was changed several years ago.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the situation, but I thought, because using a multiple entry Non O only gives 90-day permits to stay, that is how long the work permit could be issued for. I appreciate that it would be different if on a one-year extension of stay. If, indeed, you can get a one-year work permit when in Thailand on a 90-day entry from a multiple entry Non O, that would seem to be the ideal short term solution.