How to get very cheap electricity ?

Hello,

I want to set up a datacenter with hundreds of servers, its going to be very hot inside and its going to consumme a lot of electricity for the servers and air con.

Is there any way to get discounts on electricity anywhere in Thailand, maybe close to some power plant or something ?

Best regards,

Depending on the size you need, renting something high up maybe viable 

I rented a corner unit and the wind on the balconys somedays could nearly blow you off your feet

We have to close the sliding doors to 1inch open on breezy days or things go flying around the room

Haven't paid a baht for a/c since moving in 

Free wind beats  electricity costs but it maybe difficult to find a place if you need something massive.. 

10 minutes ago, Nemesis7 said:

Planing something so big and yet worry about the electric bill?!? It's time to do your calculations again before you start your venture 

truly stupid comment, anyone in business would be looking for a way to limit major overheads.

only a fool would opt to pay more if its not necessary.

Maybe you are not approaching this the right way

One option the Thai way bypass the meter and hook into power lines

My preferred option, you say you are going to be running hundreds of servers, if this is factually correct contact the manufacturers tell them what you are proposing and ask for their recommendations, they will also be able to give you power consumption information also heat out put etc

You will also need backup power when the grid is down

you may need an enhanced power supply

A data center requires a clean environment. As much as the open window method does provide a cooling flow of air it is hardly suitable for a data center. Best bet if you are going to put is thousands of servers is to either provide generators with UPS or talk to the Electricity Authority, they may be able to give you good rates. Do you have any idea of the heat likely to be generated? Presumably you will want to maintain the room at a temperature between 16C and 22C with humidity control as well.

I do have a document on Data Center cooling systems. If you would like a copy let me know your email address and I will send you a copy. Please be aware the document aims a serious Data Center's such as Google and the like.

16 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Depending on the size you need, renting something high up maybe viable 

GOOD GOD! cooling a hundred servers, each emitting a minimum of 1,500 btu/h heatload, with cross ventilation at ambient temperatures (presently ~35ºC)? :cheesy:

I find these sort of posts very strange - setting up a data centre costing many millions of baht- and then asking the old codgers ( please do not take offence ) on TV for advice on cooling and potential costings.

it simply does not add up. 

58 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Sounds like someone wants to setup a crypto coin mining operation.

Yep same thought. If the "coin" can't even cover the electricity bill, sounds like a waste of energy (wordplay intended)

12 minutes ago, Naam said:

GENSET.JPG

I can talk from experience when world cruising , you will need back up for the backup and spares for the spares

The equipment above looks good, but double up

This thread is either a wind up or a dreamer

Fresh air as cooling with salt in the air for electronic equipment I do not think so

I'll share a secret with you, but you can't tell anyone. What you need to do is connect your electricity directly to the street powerlines and boom, you have free electricity. Just be careful don't get electrocuted doing that.

49 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

then asking the old codgers ( please do not take offence ) on TV for advice on cooling and potential costings.

Asking the old (and young) codgers in TV advice on anything to do business or anything that involves post-primary school science/maths is asking for trouble. Yes, there are some very knowledgeable people here, but their words of wisdom will quickly be swamped by the self-styled experts who came to Thailand as economic refugees, those who remain here as chronic over-stayers and the serial visa exempt border runners whose life experiences hinge on rudimentary survival skills.

32 minutes ago, English Engineer said:

A hybrid solar system may meet the requirement. It would give you cheap electricity and a backup power supply on mains failure. What is the likely power consumption?

if we quantify "several hundred servers" and take 350 as a basis for calculation we look at 175kWh to power the servers and (shooting from the hip) another 175kWh cooling capacity to compensate for their heat load. not included in this calculation is the required capacity to cool the enviroment of the servers. 

3 hours ago, ardsong said:

talk to the electric cy in your area. they may have special tariffs for BIG users.

It's true. They do offer special rate for big user. I was surprised that they offer discounts for industrial users when my colleague went to talk to them and got it. I thought it's a monopoly business. BTW, no, we did not offer anything under table, just sat down and talked to them.

36 minutes ago, al007 said:

I can talk from experience when world cruising , you will need back up for the backup and spares for the spares

The equipment above looks good, but double up

This thread is either a wind up or a dreamer

Fresh air as cooling with salt in the air for electronic equipment I do not think so

the equipment shown in the picture is a genset generating 2 Megawatt. no need for doubling up :smile:

Archived