Spare a thought for car owner.....pointing at nothing

webfact

27 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

Exactly the same here, all cars on finance have 1st class insurance provided by finance company and covered by the repayments.

Supplied first year, is it compulsory for subsequent years and how is the customer forced to pay it ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

She will still be out of pocket. Class A insurance generally only covers 75% of the value of the car in the first year and it goes down after that.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i had a pickup for 3 years in thailand and the insurance depreciated 10% per year so different policies must have different rates. i thought it would encourage fraudulent insurance claims having the value kept so high.

4 minutes ago, Lingba said:

If someone came to do business at my store on my property. I would do my best to ensure that there safety and well being was taken into consideration...Obviously you think otherwise and could give a shit

Where's your store ?. I'll bring my car around every few years and have it stolen so that you can buy me a new one.

25 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

Exactly the same here, all cars on finance have 1st class insurance provided by finance company and covered by the repayments.

Have I got this right ? Are you saying that in Thailand, if you finance a car purchase over a period of 5 years (or whatever time period) you are required to get 1st class insurance organised for the entire 5 years, at the time of initial purchase, and the 5 year premiums can be added onto the finance deal ?

First time I've come across that type of insurance set up. If that's the case in Thailand, then this lady theoretically should be fully insured ? Yes ? No ?

In Australia, a finance deal is seperate from the insurance deal. You can only insure for 1 year at a time, and each year, the finance company will request a new updated copy of your renewed insurance coverage.

In the small print of the finance contract, they can repossess your car if you don't renew your yearly insurance policy. After all .... the car still belongs to them, and a current valid insurance policy is covering their arse in case of a "car destroyed" accident.

2 minutes ago, electric said:

Have I got this right ? Are you saying that in Thailand, if you finance a car purchase over a period of 5 years (or whatever time period) you are required to get 1st class insurance organised for the entire 5 years, at the time of initial purchase, and the 5 year premiums can be added onto the finance deal ?

First time I've come across that type of insurance set up. If that's the case in Thailand, then this lady theoretically should be fully insured ? Yes ? No ?

In Australia, a finance deal is seperate from the insurance deal. You can only insure for 1 year at a time, and each year, the finance company will request a new updated copy of your renewed insurance coverage.

In the small print of the finance contract, they can repossess your car if you don't renew your yearly insurance policy. After all .... the car still belongs to them, and a current valid insurance policy is covering their arse in case of a "car destroyed" accident.

Here typically the 1st year 1st class insurance is a "freebie" as part of the initial purchase, once that 1st year is run and done the customer has to pay for the next policies, either renew existing policy or find another.

How the finance company here handle's it if proof of subsequent renewal's is not forthcoming I do not know.

14 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Here typically the 1st year 1st class insurance is a "freebie" as part of the initial purchase, once that 1st year is run and done the customer has to pay for the next policies, either renew existing policy or find another.

How the finance company here handle's it if proof of subsequent renewal's is not forthcoming I do not know.

Cheers - thanks Techno Viking.

32 minutes ago, Lingba said:

If someone came to do business at my store on my property. I would do my best to ensure that there safety and well being was taken into consideration...Obviously you think otherwise and could give a shit

Lingba ... your thoughts are very noble, but in reality I think you're on your own to suggest that business is liable for the security of customers cars.

Doesn't happen anywhere I've ever parked. Signs everywhere reminding customers "park at your own risk". Motorists generally know, and accept that.

Shopping centres, theme parks, airports, railway stations, multi level parking stations, Government buildings etc etc

Good luck getting compensation from any of these places if your car is stolen or vandalised.

5 hours ago, DD13 said:

I have had 2 new Vigos and now a Rivo......each time Toyota have told me Pickups are the most sought after vehicles and recommended  that I have a 4,000 baht immobiliser fitted which completely locks everything ignition etc.

My vehicle supposedly has a factory-fitted immobiliser.

However I have no idea how it works or indeed if it works: I've certainly never seen any sort of switch for it. I just lock the door and hope.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

My vehicle supposedly has a factory-fitted immobiliser.

However I have no idea how it works or indeed if it works: I've certainly never seen any sort of switch for it. I just lock the door and hope.

This contraption is in the form of a lever fitted under the dash board, next to the steering column, and out of sight....this has to be pulled up for activation,  it is connected to the ignition system .......it is disconnected by using a key into two locks.....quite simple....even I can do it ☺️

Of course,  it would be nice if the insurance companies offered a reduction in their annual policy fee, .....as a reward.....then maybe more customers would fit them

12 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

It's the Tesco Lotus Superstore near the entrance of Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate and as with most parking grounds, the life security people have been replaced by cctv camera's which are aimed for the license plates. 

Ah Tesco when is this company going to realise Farangs are not liked here and sell up and get out?

Knowing Tesco they will charge her for the oil leek that damaged the tarmac

Edited by wakeupplease

19 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

in most countries if you are paying the car off over a number of years then compulsory insurance is included in the repayments.  is it different in thailand?

Really and what countries are you referring to?  I can tell you that this does not occur in Australia.  Your are responsible for coverage and the payment of the premium.:wai:

15 hours ago, electric said:

You are correct about the Australian model.  However, I, like yourself, am curious as to what the member is on about.  When you buy a car in Thailand, as far as I am aware, whether you pay cash or take it on finance, you are obliged to insure it yourself.

Agreed, that in the first year, and at the time of purchase you can negotiate with the dealer to cover those costs but after that your are the one responsible for having the vehicle insured

A number of members of my extended family have cars on finance, bought from different dealers and insured by different insurers and after the first year they had to insure the vehicle and pay those costs themselves

I have never heard of what some members are alleging but I could be wrong, so if they provided facts, instead of words, then maybe we all could learn something.  In so far as the car under finance, it is the same in Thailand as Australia,  it is still owned by the finance company.  They send letters prior to the expiration of the registration and insurance.

However, I have no idea what the financier would do if the registration or insurance is not paid, if the hirer continued to meet their monthly instalments.  In addition, the finance company also keeps the blue book, (registration) until the finance obligation has been finalised. :wai:

8 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Really and what countries are you referring to?  I can tell you that this does not occur in Australia.  Your are responsible for coverage and the payment of the premium.:wai:

seems strange that any finance company would finance something that was not insured. i never financed a car in australia but i did lease one there and insurance was compulsory, paid monthly with the lease payments.

32 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

seems strange that any finance company would finance something that was not insured. i never financed a car in australia but i did lease one there and insurance was compulsory, paid monthly with the lease payments.

No, not saying they would finance a car that is uninsured, of course they wouldn't.  What I am saying is that when you take a car under hire purchase or a lease it is compulsory to have insurance but the hirer or lessee are the ones responsible for paying for that, however, on occasions the dealers have deals where the first year of insurance and registration is included. 

After that then the it is the hirer's responsibility.  If they continue to pay the instalments but not insure I do not know what happens as I have never been in that predicament. However, if that occurred I would say by not insuring and driving that person is a total fool.  Just imagine the cost if they were at fault or the other party was and they too had no coverage. The mind boggles. :wai:

I have noticed many places no longer issue parking tickets. Many like Tesco do not even have security guards. The savings to the stores must have been passed on in reduction of prices or increased profits.

The first year insurance is often 'thrown in'  for free when buying new cars whether you buy with finance or cash, the insurance company do a trade deal with the dealership where they hope to get the customers to renew with them the next year.

The financing of the car will require that 1st class insurance be taken out for the car, some companies do check, some don't, it is never included in the repayment.

As for shopping malls car park, in case where they give you card/ticket at the gate the mall is responsible for any loss, so it was interpreted that by not giving ticket at the entrance, the business shall not be responsible for loss; hence a few years back there was a move away from giving ticket at the entrance and actual security guard presence to just having cctv at the entrance only to try to get away with responsibility.

but even in case where there are no card given there has been recent case that went to court and it was ruled that the business has a duty of care to provide safe and secure facility and compensation is awarded (not the full amount for whole car of course) so now security guards and giving cards at the gate is now back in many malls

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

but even in case where there are no card given there has been recent case that went to court and it was ruled that the business has a duty of care to provide safe and secure facility and compensation is awarded (not the full amount for whole car of course) so now security guards and giving cards at the gate is now back in many malls

A thai judge ruled that ?

On 6/15/2017 at 8:34 PM, DD13 said:

This contraption is in the form of a lever fitted under the dash board, next to the steering column, and out of sight....this has to be pulled up for activation,  it is connected to the ignition system .......it is disconnected by using a key into two locks.....quite simple....even I can do it ☺️

Of course,  it would be nice if the insurance companies offered a reduction in their annual policy fee, .....as a reward.....then maybe more customers would fit them

Seems like there should be an app for that, instead of a lever.  It's eezy peezy to stick a relay with a SIM card anywhere in the system and call it up on your cell phone to disable your car from anywhere in the world.  It's in pretty common use by auto dealers and finance companies to disable cars with delinquent payments.  For a few bucks more, you can track your car's GPS location and go out and find it yourself.

Edit:  In fact, I envision the day when insurance companies won't cover a theft if your car doesn't have a disable device and a GPS tracker.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

A thai judge ruled that ?

https://deka.in.th/view-544519.html (Link in Thai)

The precedent was set in 2015 the ruling go into detail how the previously manned gate and ticket giving is then changed to just cctv at entrance doesn't absolve the responsibility the case number is 7471/2556 it was at a Big C

There are two case at a Tesco Lotus Carpark

First case (no10570/2557) https://deka.in.th/view-579974.html

Ruled that Tesco and security company not responsible

A year later at another Tesco also case no: 6616/2558

It was ruled quoting the precedent setting case at Big C (First link above) and adding that removing manned security guards and replacing them with CCTV is not a sufficient deterrent against theft and considered to be carelessness in Tesco's part that contributed to the vehicle loss

All of these case were insurance companies against the business though

Just now, digbeth said:

https://deka.in.th/view-544519.html (Link in Thai)

The precedent was set in 2015 the ruling go into detail how the previously manned gate and ticket giving is then changed to just cctv at entrance doesn't absolve the responsibility the case number is 7471/2556 it was at a Big C

There are two case at a Tesco Lotus Carpark

First case (no10570/2557) https://deka.in.th/view-579974.html

Ruled that Tesco and security company not responsible

A year later at another Tesco also case no: 6616/2558

It was ruled quoting the precedent setting case at Big C (First link above) and adding that removing manned security guards and replacing them with CCTV is not a sufficient deterrent against theft and considered to be carelessness in Tesco's part that contributed to the vehicle loss

All of these case were insurance companies against the business though

Interesting, Thanks.

An immobilizer from the factory just means that even the key is copied, without the chip in keys, the engine won't start, so you could have the key copied and it could open the door and everything but the engine won't start. To get a blank key with chips means going to a dealer and have them program your car to accept the new key for a fee

Since the new ruling that business is now responsible for vehicle loss on their property came after most of the malls replaced their security guards at the gate with CCTV, I only noticed that only Centrals in Bangkok has put back the security guards and automated ticket machine at entrance where many years back they did away with the guards. Most Big C and Tesco still has no guards/machine giving  tickets at the entrance.

Would be interesting if it were to happen on government property though

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Seems like there should be an app for that, instead of a lever.  It's eezy peezy to stick a relay with a SIM card anywhere in the system and call it up on your cell phone to disable your car from anywhere in the world.  It's in pretty common use by auto dealers and finance companies to disable cars with delinquent payments.  For a few bucks more, you can track your car's GPS location and go out and find it yourself.

Edit:  In fact, I envision the day when insurance companies won't cover a theft if your car doesn't have a disable device and a GPS tracker.

I think you are probably right about the future for insurance cover.......and rightly so......those of us who do fit immobilisers should have some reward

How about this, at the moment when road tax is renewed a compulsory insurance is required ,changing this to a 1st or 2nd class insurance in order to get a renewal of a road tax, see how many cars ,and trucks come off the roads ,if people can afford a truck or car they should be able to buy comprehensive insurance.

5 minutes ago, akampa said:

How about this, at the moment when road tax is renewed a compulsory insurance is required ,changing this to a 1st or 2nd class insurance in order to get a renewal of a road tax, see how many cars ,and trucks come off the roads ,if people can afford a truck or car they should be able to buy comprehensive insurance.

Why ?