Where is the speed trap Kk?

starky

Got my first Thailand speed camera ticket delivered to the house the other day. Didn't even know they had them here yet. According to the date it was the weekend I was down in Khon Kaen which tells me it is either on the highway down or somewhere near town. Any locals can tell me exactly where it is?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The" one speed trap?

Large stretch of #2, Mitraphap rd. (main rd. through town) is a speed trap.

From the main crossing with #12 to the north on both directions there are dozens and dozens of cameras. Whether they all serve as a speed trap or combined with some extra box? I don't know.

And of course all traffic lights equipped with cameras on all directions. Just look at the junction with the university entrance (not far from immigration).

And I think the camera symbols and the many big 80/60 signs can hardly be overlooked?

I am always stunned when driving in the 80 squad and some high speed racer passes on the right.

I haven't checked the southern part but I think they are "upgrading" there too.

"The" one speed trap?

There are several cameras and warning signs on the southern section also.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

On 16/06/2017 at 11:11 AM, KhunBENQ said:

"The" one speed trap?

From the main crossing with #12 to the north on both directions there are dozens and dozens of cameras. Whether they all serve as a speed trap or combined with some extra box? I don't know.

And of course all traffic lights equipped with cameras on all directions. Just look at the junction with the university entrance (not far from immigration).

And I think the camera symbols and the many big 80/60 signs can hardly be overlooked?

I am always stunned when driving in the 80 squad and some high speed racer passes on the right.

Thanks for that. Honestly I never realised there was that many. I would say I got done near the uni as I was around there. 

13 hours ago, luk AJ said:

Normally the location is mentioned on the ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yeah cheers but I can't read Thai. I knew it was Khon Kaen.

Many many on the main road north to south through Khonkaen, I would guess 30 to 40 speed cameras, just set cruise control to 85 and you probably ok

Also well posted with pictures

No excuse for missing them

On the ring road round KhonKaen often radar traps with police taking the money I km further on

12 minutes ago, al007 said:

Many many on the main road north to south through Khonkaen, I would guess 30 to 40 speed cameras, just set cruise control to 85 and you probably ok

Also well posted with pictures

No excuse for missing them

On the ring road round KhonKaen often radar traps with police taking the money I km further on

Is that a way of saying that you can see them easy and know when it´s time to slow down???? Isn´t that a rule that is in effect even where there is no cameras or radar. Lucky they put up pictures so all the crazy speeders can get a warning before it´s to late. If it were up to me all the cameras should be mobile and moved to different locations every 3rd day, no signs and double fine.

12 hours ago, starky said:

Thanks for that. Honestly I never realised there was that many. I would say I got done near the uni as I was around there. 

As written this section is plastered with cameras.

Nothing goes undetected also traffic light jumping.

went through a new speed zone in KK last month,  it is on main highway no2

it is from just before central festival robinson centre and it ends 2 km after  you exit the tunnel heading northbound to udon thani

40km limit i think,  you will see many signs and road markings.   there are also speed camers everywhere and red light cameras.

this info may not be 100% correct but i do remember seeing the cameras etc and the location is definately central KK on road no2

WARNING !!  

i drove on down to buriram & surin and counted at least 15  maybe 20  checkpoints ,    some manned and some were not manned in afternoon , many manned at night times looking for drunk drivers & drugs etc ,    just beware to have all your documents on you  inc international drivers licence & insurances 

DONT DARE DRINK & DRIVE BECAUSE.......YOU WILL BE CAUGHT !! 

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

One good solution would be to keep yourself within the speed limits. In that kind of peculiar way all the need to know regarding cameras and speed traps just fly away on unimportant wings. Just a suggestion.

Correct, and as it's the first time I've been done in 7 years living up that way I guess I am only human after all. I only ask because in Australia we have many speed variable "traps" where you will come off a highway into an area where it may go 90 then 80 then 90 all within a couple hundred metres. 

On 6/16/2017 at 11:11 AM, KhunBENQ said:

"The" one speed trap?

At the Mitraphap/Thanon Lao Nadi intersection they also have signs up that the cameras there are used to photograph motorcycle riders without helmets.

1 hour ago, starky said:

Correct, and as it's the first time I've been done in 7 years living up that way I guess I am only human after all. I only ask because in Australia we have many speed variable "traps" where you will come off a highway into an area where it may go 90 then 80 then 90 all within a couple hundred metres. 

And you know that bacause they hve signs, right?
Why just not drive in 80 all the couples of 100 meters?
Simple seems to solve itself.

1 hour ago, starky said:

Even in the "jungle" lol

Even further into the jungle.

80 km west of KK I was filmed when continuing a right turn on yellow light tailgating one of those creepers that can not make a turn in appropriate time.

Much to the amusement of the family the found the letter in the mailbox.

800 Baht.

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

One good solution would be to keep yourself within the speed limits. In that kind of peculiar way all the need to know regarding cameras and speed traps just fly away on unimportant wings. Just a suggestion.

While I don't speed as a general philosophy (too much stress on a long drive), it's a little more difficult when the speed limit signs don't tell you when you've gone from 120 KPH to 80 KPH and then to 60 KPH (?) when you hit some kind of imaginary lines between expressway, highway and city.  Then there's the signs that seem to be advisory (again ?) that flash 80 KPH on the 120 KPH motorway when all the traffic is still doing 120 around me.  

I'm aided by the old klunker I drive that seems to like 90-100 KPH and rattles when I push it higher.  It'll go faster quite safely, but it's just not comfortable.  (Reminds me of an old GF that used to tell me she was built for comfort, not for speed)

Mobile speed cameras all over Thailand now. There was a time when folks would ignore the rules of the road but getting a speeding ticket has reduced speeds. So you see people keeping their speed down now. Thus if dont want a ticket keep within the speed limit.

9 hours ago, starky said:

1st time in 7 years, that is lucky, that and the fact that the fine would be no where near as much as it is in Australia and lucky you don't lose any points.

How you missed all the signs I have no idea, I only wish there were that many in Australia and no demerit points, because as you know in Australia, in particular Sydney, you can't fart without getting booked, i.e. speed, red light, mobile, unmarket and stationary vehicle camera's, highway patrols, all making you abide by the speed limit rules as confusing as they are, 40, 60, 80, 110 and then they all drop and climb, strategically placed to nab you.

But in all fairness, the system works, as for the drunk drivers, well that's a failure IMO

8 hours ago, RBOP said:

look for people flashing lights in on coming traffic. pretty much a universal signal to other drivers world wide something coming your way.

Not in Thailand it means I'm coming stay out of my way!

38 minutes ago, riche60 said:

Having been in buriram for 10 years there are no cameras from pattaya to buriram unless they are set at 170 kph!!!!

I'm hearing ya but this is Thaivisa for every one decent response you will get 4 or 5 from pretentious pricks who (apparently) have never done anything wrong telling you how to live your life. It's just par for the course.

11 hours ago, pumpjack said:

went through a new speed zone in KK last month,  it is on main highway no2

it is from just before central festival robinson centre and it ends 2 km after  you exit the tunnel heading northbound to udon thani

40km limit i think,  you will see many signs and road markings.   there are also speed camers everywhere and red light cameras.

this info may not be 100% correct but i do remember seeing the cameras etc and the location is definately central KK on road no2

The speed limits are 60kmh on the approach to and in the tunnel and 80kmh on the rest of route 2. Big signs, difficult to miss.

KK town the Mitraphap stretch =80 strictly enforced.

Outside town the fast lane, even if the inner lane is a mine field in some villages, too long (in the fast lane) and you're gone.

Except for the blue busses....who seem to have no problem from KK to UdonThani to drive the fast lane without switching....different matter bewteen Udon Thani and NongKhai....never saw a bue bus in the fast lane.

47 minutes ago, hgma said:

KK town the Mitraphap stretch =80 strictly enforced.

Outside town the fast lane, even if the inner lane is a mine field in some villages, too long (in the fast lane) and you're gone.

Except for the blue busses....who seem to have no problem from KK to UdonThani to drive the fast lane without switching....different matter bewteen Udon Thani and NongKhai....never saw a bue bus in the fast lane.

There is no fast lane there all 80k an hour exept frontage road 50 k ph

Archived