Since Brexit vote, Europeans warm again to EU

webfact

Since Brexit vote, Europeans warm again to EU

tag-reuters-2.jpg

FILE PHOTO: An EU flag flies above Parliament Square during a Unite for Europe march, in London, Britain March 25, 2017. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls/File Photo

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Europeans think much better of the EU now than they did a year ago when Britons dealt the Union a heavy blow by voting to leave, a survey showed on Thursday.

Support surged by 18 percentage points in both Germany and France, which just elected europhile centrist Emmanuel Macron as president, the Washington-based Pew Research Center found.

Even the British hold a much more favourable opinion of the European Union. Now 54 percent of them view the EU positively, 10 points up on a year ago, while 40 percent were unfavourable. In June last year, they voted by 52 percent to 48 percent for Brexit. Negotiations on withdrawal terms start on Monday.

In none of the other nine countries surveyed did more than 35 percent of people want their country to follow suit and leave the EU. Of those, the Italians and Greeks were the least enthusiastic. Despite growing friction between their nationalist governments and Brussels, Poles and Hungarians remain among the keenest EU citizens.

"The European Union has rebounded dramatically from its recent slump in public approval," Pew researchers wrote, noting an "up-and-down cycle over the past decade".

The findings, in line with other research, will hearten EU leaders who meet at a summit next week. Some had feared, after Brexit followed grave crises in the euro zone economy and with irregular immigration, that the bloc's survival was in doubt.

Fully 68 percent of Germans and 56 percent of French and Italians had a favourable view of the EU this spring, though Italians have not joined the general bounce in approval ratings.

The survey in 10 of the 28 members - the six biggest EU states and four of the next eight most populous - did not study reasons for changes in mood.

It did, however, also record more approval for the Union's handling of the economy and migration - two areas where anger has long been directed at Brussels.

An EU deal with Turkey a year ago has stemmed chaotic migrant arrivals and along with income growth, opinions about the economy have improved - with the exception of debt-laden Greece and in Italy, where the proportion of people saying their economy is in good shape slumped 18 points to 15 percent.

A huge 87 percent of the Dutch, whom eurosceptics failed to win over heavily in a March election, think their economy is doing well - 25 points up on a year ago. There was a 15-point upturn in Spain, even if still only 28 percent take a rosy view.

(Reporting by Alastair Macdonald; @macdonaldrtr; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-16

3 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Speak to Danish people, they are fed up to the teeth with the EU

EU membership support surges in Denmark after Brexit vote
Around 69 per cent of Danish people now endorse the country’s membership of the union

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-membership-support-surges-in-denmark-after-brexit-vote-a7120271.html

13 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Lets hear from Danish "man in the street", its not what i am hearing from the Danes I know

Well im danish and think the EU is great for Denmark and you have to remember, you properly speak with the 31% there is against it  :)

Denmark has done much to prevent foreigners from ruining our labor market with cheap hourly wages.

Our unions have been working successfully, with our government, even though we are facing small problems.

Foreigners can not get social support, before they are approved to stay in our country, speak our language, been on the labor marked etc.

This was some of the big issues i hear UK people talk about.

I do think Denmark get more benefit from EU, even there can be small issues sometimes, but we danish people like to complain :smile:

16 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

More Bull from the EU propaganda machine. Is that why Poland and Hungary etc are stopping immigrants and giving the fingers to the EU. Most People and not stupid and know the EU for what it is. A boys club that you must do as we say.

I dont agree with you. Cause if you don't like the rules, then you need to  have negotiation of the EU agreement, Simple as that :)

I think it is very obvious indeed why the EU members have increased support for the EU. They see a complete mess in the UK now with its political turmoil, falling currency, polarisation and all the other foreseeable problems that are going to arise in the future.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

More Bull from the EU propaganda machine. Is that why Poland and Hungary etc are stopping immigrants and giving the fingers to the EU. Most People and not stupid and know the EU for what it is. A boys club that you must do as we say.

You are so wrong. They see the mess that the UK is in because of brexit and they have become more pro EU

15 minutes ago, gamini said:

I think it is very obvious indeed why the EU members have increased support for the EU. They see a complete mess in the UK now with its political turmoil, falling currency, polarisation and all the other foreseeable problems that are going to arise in the future.

What mess? Hung parliament?? The UK elections are just getting more like European election results, at least we only need 2 parties in coalition to have a majority. The pound? it's probably about right. Polarisation? The UK is now split on near 50/50 on which party and brexit....were not going to have a civil war! 

Look how many opposing opinions there are with the EU as a whole, the polarisation in Europe from the smaller members up is far greater.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes Poland and Hungary are stopping the immigrants, while these 2 countries are biggest source of the troubles in Europe, by using the open borders to flood the European markets with cheap labour.

These 2 countries are the biggest example of we only want to take, but don't expect us to give something back.

I hope they leave as soon as possible, it will improve the situation in Europe.

4 hours ago, gamini said:

You are so wrong. They see the mess that the UK is in because of brexit and they have become more pro EU

No, Gravy is right and you are wrong! Tories called and messed up an election with an unpopular domestic manifesto and the Europhiles are making the most of it! 

I am a supporter of a common Europe with clear external borders.
If Europe decays back into small states, it loses importance.
The many complaints  is well known by all EU members.
However, if you look into many other regions of the world, the Europeans are doing damn good!
Free travel, free trade, free choice where to live, legal and social security, free education etc.
Why so many from non-functioning countries want to emigrate into the EU then?
But the EU must be careful not to be overrun by the outside world.
Brexit shows, that the EU structure has to be reformed urgently in many fields.

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Did you actually read the Dane's post? Your post is a complete non sequitur 

Good to see the EU/Brexit debate continuing in the same vein as always. :smile:

The irony is that many people who get so irate about it are the people who don't live in the UK anyway!  They choose to live thousands of miles away so what happens in Blighty has little effect on their lives.  For those of us with children who live in Britain it is far more relevant BUT of course anyone who carries a UK passport has an opinion that counts.

11 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Good to see the EU/Brexit debate continuing in the same vein as always. :smile:

The irony is that many people who get so irate about it are the people who don't live in the UK anyway!  They choose to live thousands of miles away so what happens in Blighty has little effect on their lives.  For those of us with children who live in Britain it is far more relevant BUT of course anyone who carries a UK passport has an opinion that counts.

Of course!

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

I am a supporter of a common Europe with clear external borders. But obviously not controlled borders!
If Europe decays back into small states, it loses importance. But born-again states will regain their self-respect and importance!
The many complaints  is well known by all EU members. Well said! But no action by the EU.
However, if you look into many other regions of the world, the Europeans are doing damn good! Well, Europe did have a good start!
Free travel, free trade, free choice where to live, legal and social security, free education etc. Not totally true and someone has to pay!
Why so many from non-functioning countries want to emigrate into the EU then? Because of all the free stuff.
But the EU must be careful not to be overrun by the outside world.Ah, we might be a bit late there, could you pass that on to Frau Merkel?
Brexit shows, that the EU structure has to be reformed urgently in many fields. Easier said than done - they don't want reform - ask Cameron.

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yes and that can only come from being on the inside fighting for reforms that are desperately needed.  To choose to leave (as Britain has done) then you no longer have any say.  I believe that there will be reforms now thanks to Macron and although Britain will be able to say that they were instrumental in some of those changes they will be out and therefore cannot benefit from them.

11 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Yes and that can only come from being on the inside fighting for reforms that are desperately needed.  To choose to leave (as Britain has done) then you no longer have any say.  I believe that there will be reforms now thanks to Macron and although Britain will be able to say that they were instrumental in some of those changes they will be out and therefore cannot benefit from them.

20 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You have misquoted me so please don't do that - these were tomacht8's words and my response is as follows in green:

Brexit shows, that the EU structure has to be reformed urgently in many fields. Easier said than done - they don't want reform - ask Cameron.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Fully 68 percent of Germans and 56 percent of French and Italians had a favourable view of the EU this spring,

Rather than celebrate this increase, they should be asking themselves why 32% and 44% respectively DO NOT have a favourable view of the EU.

32 minutes ago, nauseus said:

20 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You have misquoted me so please don't do that - these were tomacht8's words and my response is as follows in green:

Yes you are right, I apologise for misquoting you.

7 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Just found this, staggering the amount they have borrowed and yes Germany a good part of it (54Billion), but billions from EU as well, so that means UK

http://demonocracy.info/infographics/eu/debt_greek/debt_greek.html

And Denmark. We pay more to EU than UK do  per person and we are only 6 mill people

The Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Austria and France have an even larger net contribution than the UK

So dont complain :)

This i why i think UK shout them self in the foot.  Thanks for the link

They say the UK’s net contribution is worthwhile given the amount of money that is generated thanks to Britain’s partnership with the EU:

“Our annual contribution is equivalent to £340 for each household and yet the CBI (Confederation of British Industry) says that all the trade, investment, jobs and lower prices that come from our economic partnership with Europe is worth £3000 per year to every household.”

Edited by carstenp
Just more facts :)

18 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Just found this, staggering the amount they have borrowed and yes Germany a good part of it (54Billion), but billions from EU as well, so that means UK

http://demonocracy.info/infographics/eu/debt_greek/debt_greek.html

No it doesn't. Eurozone nations may be liable for money loaned to Greece but not the UK or any other non Eurozone nation.

UK 'strikes deal' over Greek bailout

A legally binding agreement has been struck to protect UK taxpayers' money from the impact of the Greek bailout, the Treasury says.

Chancellor George Osborne said the "impregnable ring fence" had followed "tough talks" and would also apply to future eurozone rescue packages.

Other non-eurozone countries would also be protected, the Treasury said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-33556085