Cult Of Pancakes: Ihop Opens At Siam Paragon

snoop1130

The menu shows them on a plate. The question is, is it a small plate or a large plate?  I am also surprised not to see "fish or shrimp" flavored pancakes.  Just give them time and served with "rice". They need to be served Hot not Cold.  We'll see how that goes too. And can you get 'eggs" with them? Other than that there is a lot of variety on the menu. Prices are about the same in the States.

2 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

The menu shows them on a plate. The question is, is it a small plate or a large plate?  I am also surprised not to see "fish or shrimp" flavored pancakes.  Just give them time and served with "rice". They need to be served Hot not Cold.  We'll see how that goes too. And can you get 'eggs" with them? Other than that there is a lot of variety on the menu. Prices are about the same in the States.

There's very little "Thai-ized" about the IHOP menu. Most of the choices are pretty similar to what you've find in the states. The main difference is the current ground floor location can't cook things like regular eggs, meats, hash browns, etc. because of Siam Paragon rules about open-air venues such as the one they're using.  That should be remedied if/when they open their promised second venue, a full service IHOP on Paragon's fourth floor.

As for the plates, they're serving their pancakes on very large plates not at all similar to those in the menu photos. But the pancakes themselves are normal sized, though in person everything looks a bit small on the large plates they're using.

59478cc2644a1_2017-06-1714_50_05.jpg.04c4ceceb6c62c3bc7ad6858e6ab13e6.jpg

3 hours ago, balo said:

Overpriced pancakes. You can make them at home you know. 

IHOP's pancakes are good and tasty... better than most what I prepare myself at home. After all, they've been in the pancake business for 50 years or so, so they must be doing something right. And beyond the pancakes themselves, obviously they have a wide range of toppings and flavorings that you can choose from, and I think it's pretty safe to say that most people don't keep all those kinds of ingredients at home to throw on top or or into their pancakes.  Plus, it's nice to let someone else do the cooking sometimes and have a nice breakfast out.

I've got a farang pub not far from my home that has an all you can eat pancakes breakfast promotion. I tried it once, and the resulting pancakes were tasteless, thick and hard -- an entirely forgettable, regrettable dining choice.  I'm never going back for any of the pub place's pancakes, but I'm certainly going back for some more of IHOP's offerings.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 1 month later...

I wish I could say I've been back as a return customer to the Paragon IHOP, but I haven't, and the reason is one example of why this is a Thai business -- despite having an American menu.

The first time I ate there was the day after their soft opening, I tried to pay with my VISA or MC debit card, and was informed by the wait staff that they didn't have their card machine yet, but would soon. So, no problem, I paid cash, and asked the manager how soon before they'd have a working card machine. He said the next day, which I clearly doubted at the time, so I gave it another week and went back to check.

A week later, nope, no card machine. Sorry, next week. A second week later, nope no card machine. A month after opening, nope no card machine. So the last time was about a week ago when I was in Paragon and popped by, nope, no card machine. So at that point, now five weeks after their opening, I basically gave up. If and when the IHOP BKK branch manages to join the modern world and accept bank card payments, I'll be back as a customer. Until then, Nope!!!

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wish I could say I've been back as a return customer to the Paragon IHOP, but I haven't, and the reason is one example of why this is a Thai business -- despite having an American menu.

The first time I ate there was the day after their soft opening, I tried to pay with my VISA or MC debit card, and was informed by the wait staff that they didn't have their card machine yet, but would soon. So, no problem, I paid cash, and asked the manager how soon before they'd have a working card machine. He said the next day, which I clearly doubted at the time, so I gave it another week and went back to check.

A week later, nope, no card machine. Sorry, next week. A second week later, nope no card machine. A month after opening, nope no card machine. So the last time was about a week ago when I was in Paragon and popped by, nope, no card machine. So at that point, now five weeks after their opening, I basically gave up. If and when the IHOP BKK branch manages to join the modern world and accept bank card payments, I'll be back as a customer. Until then, Nope!!!

If you need pancakes (or waffles!) make your way past IHOP to Clinton Street Bakery (close to the exit leading to the Kempinski)... great food and good service; used my Visa their yesterday.

39 minutes ago, planr said:

If you need pancakes (or waffles!) make your way past IHOP to Clinton Street Bakery (close to the exit leading to the Kempinski)... great food and good service; used my Visa their yesterday.

Yes, Clinton St. is very good for more than just pancakes. I've reviewed it here and like their food a lot, including their very good hamburger and their pancakes there.

And yet, it's nice to have the broader choice of pancake toppings/flavors that IHOP offers. I'd like to enjoy both.

Stopped by IHOP/Paragon today and had the cream cheese filled crepes topped with raspberries and whipped cream. (B195...B208 inc. VAT)

It was very tasty and quite rich.

I think the price was reasonable for what I got.