Thailand to launch new 10 year multiple entry visa for over 50s

rooster59

When will they just cancel/delist 90 days reporting, surely in the day and age with mobile phones, and CCTV on ever corner it is not longer needed.

This 90 reporting was rule was invented when phone were stuck on walls and only TV station have TV cameras.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The appeal for this Visa will be limited for all the reasons stated. As can be seen there were about 2 favorable replies  showing the complete lack of people who would actually use the Visa.

If a person is already retired in Thailand or married to a Thai and living in Thailand the appeal is even less simply because- these people, myself included, have money already tied up in homes; condos; cars; school tuition for children and other fixed expenses. Most of these people do not have an extra 3 Million Baht or 1.8 million plus income to even consider this visa.  Then there is the issue of the Insurance which is very high in premiums because the age of 50 and up normally accrues the highest premiums.  There needs to be some changes made to the program such as 

-Allowing the use of property; homes purchases; condos purchased; automobiles- as collateral against the  3 million total. If one has a chanot for a 3 million condo purchase- the requirement is met.  

-the insurance requirement needs to be waived- however- the Government could allow everyone on long term extensions- including elite holders- to purchase health insurance through the social security scheme and be covered.

If the requirements remain the same it is just another  Visa option along with the Non O-A and the Non O plus Permanent Residency and the Elite Program.  There is something for most everyone but they could have been more creative in structuring requirements so many people could actually take advantage of the scheme.

So. Thai's are desperately looking to "borrow" our money???  on never return..

They realy think world is full of brainless millioners who have no other place to go...only Thailand.???

What about your Chineese and quality Russian tourists ? 

Somehow you don't have much profit from them?

You made and still making all efforts to ensure us old expats that Thailand is for reach ones but not us....But we have spent already a lot of money in your country....

Thailand...look around you ...your neighbours learned on your mistakes and welcome us....on better conditions you just proposed. 

13 minutes ago, PaulHamon said:

When will they just cancel/delist 90 days reporting, surely in the day and age with mobile phones, and CCTV on ever corner it is not longer needed.

This 90 reporting was rule was invented when phone were stuck on walls and only TV station have TV cameras.

1984?

If Thailand was smart they would give the 10 years visa for free. Just have compulsory insurance as a requirement, enough savings/income to support yourself (goes without saying) and then it would attract more foreigners (minus the 90 day reporting . 1 year is sufficient)

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They must really wants the Brits. In the list of countries we are listed twice, UK and Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

"14 nationalities eligible: Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada and United States of America."

Doesn't mention the UK! (But I concur that the UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland) Also the Republic of Ireland isn't listed (Obviously no money there :smile:)

This does appear to be a visa that will either require the holder to do a lot of border run's as non-immigrant visas tend to incur as a 90 day stay maximum or a fair few trips to immigrations for quarterly/yearly extensions. 

However, I can see chiefs of Immigration becoming salesmen for health insurance companies - a ludicrous rule to buy from a Thai company when a number of companies offer worldwide coverage and many applicant at 50 yo's may already have such insurance from their home country.

5 hours ago, tigermoth said:

A much more satisfactory and saner policy for both the government and the farang is to scrap the useless  90 reporting. Surely O and retirement visas need renewing yearly and this suffices for reporting reasons. It would also save much money for the administration in doing away with the enormous amount of time and paper work involved.

"It would also save much money for the administration in doing away with the enormous amount of time and paper work involved."

The Immigration Service in Thailand is always seeking new ways to gather enormous piles of paper that no one will ever see or read!  I believe this is entirely done to provide more government jobs.  

Since Immigration constantly makes up new rules and fines I really doubt that the 10 year Visa will ever make any difference.  The people who have the funds required most likely will retire in Europe.  

Remember the 5 year Education Visa?  It is now a nightmare 3 month visa requiring a dozen visits to the Immigration office every year.  Each time half a kilogram of paper is required.  This program is under constant change!  I suspect that the new 10 year Visa will have the same risks of change not long after it is adopted.

Please don't get mad, it's just my opinion!:smile:

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Reading between the lines it appears that for this visa you wont need to get a re-entry permit, and if so this visa would in fact be cheaper than a retirement extension for anyone who goes in and out fairly often.

So I suspect that this visa targets those who intend to go back and forth a lot, and who may not be here all the year to be able to renew an extension, whereas the retirement extension targets people who mostly want to stay put. Indeed the article itself mentions that the visa is designed to promote medical tourism.

How do you come to the conclusion that this new visa is cheaper if you frequently exit and re-enter the country? A multiple re-entry visa is cheap.

51 minutes ago, the guest said:

If Thailand was smart they would give the 10 years visa for free. Just have compulsory insurance as a requirement, enough savings/income to support yourself (goes without saying) and then it would attract more foreigners (minus the 90 day reporting . 1 year is sufficient)

If Thailand was smart.. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

13 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

What exactly are the certain conditions that allow the Baht 3m to be reduced to Baht 1.5m? There is nothing related to this in the post just a mention of "certain conditions"?

From information that came out last Nov/Dec when this visa was first announced.

On one site:

"The three million Thai baht must be untouched for 12 months in a time deposit, and cannot withdraw more than 50 percent. Proof must be shown that monies was spent in Thailand for, amongst other things: local property, medical and tuition fees."

On another site:

"Applicants must not only leave 3 million baht untouched for one year in a time deposit, but they cannot withdraw more than 50 percent, which they must show proof was spent in Thailand for such as medical, property, tuition or similar expenses, according to the resolution. Want to renew it five years later? Visa holders must again show 3 million baht in the bank or an income of at least 100,000 baht per month."

Basically every site I've seen has the same info. You can withdraw up to 50% after year 1, but only to spend on "approved" items (and have to supply proof) and when it comes time to renew, the 3 mil has to be topped up again (and left for one year again).

So you are going to end up tying up a lot of money for a long time, as 1.5 mil of the total has to be "locked in" for the duration of the visa.

You need only 40k/100k coverage OPD/IPD. This is likely cleverly calculated, as this coverage is way too low for any treatment, on the other hand also so low, that nobody would go to court and sue. So insurances can just pocket the money without any payout in case of emergency.

5 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

I am 66, have you tried to get the required insurance in Thailand for above 65 and at what price?  In addition of all this, you need to apply for a criminal record check...  Not worth it!

I think the criminal check is a recent addition to this visa along

with the rule to buy your health insurance from a Thai company...  

3 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I think the criminal check is a recent addition to this visa along

with the rule to buy your health insurance from a Thai company...  

Why check for a criminal record you could have one from something you done 30 or 40 year's ago and  never had one since. What's the point  ?

1 minute ago, catman20 said:

Why check for a criminal record you could have one from something you done 30 or 40 year's ago and  never had one since. What's the point  ?

I suppose every country has different way but for my country if you have done some minor criminal 20 ++ years ago you will have clean record if asked..

27 minutes ago, thaitero said:

I suppose every country has different way but for my country if you have done some minor criminal 20 ++ years ago you will have clean record if asked..

In the UK it stays with you all your life.

9 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

In comparason to my Non O, followed by 10 extensions of stay based on retirement, this does not seem particularly attractive.

I fail to see which group it is aimed at?

aimed at hi so s'

Archived