Thailand to launch new 10 year multiple entry visa for over 50s

rooster59

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Um - never needed a work permit to open a Savings or Fixed Term bank account.

I've had dozens of accounts in Thai banks over the last 13 or so years and never had a work permit.

(Though I believe you need one if you want to open a Chequing account. It seems a lot of people try to open a Chequing account instead of a Savings account and then get confused when asked for a work permit.)

There are a lot of Thai bank branches that try to tell farangs who want to open a savings account that they need to have a work permit.

In reality, no, that's not required. But that doesn't stop bank staff from telling applicants that and in many cases refusing to open accounts without a work permit.

I, like you, have opened accounts without a work permit. But it takes some work, and I've been told many times that I needed a work permit. So I just went to other branches.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They came out with this visa in November of 2016 then sandbagged it for 7 months due to all the criticism....

After thinking over this visa for the last 7 months they now come out with the exact same visa....The only difference being that I can tell,is you now need a police report and you now must buy Thai health insurance.....

Boy they sure did not make the slightest effort whatsoever to respond to any of the criticism..This version is actually worse than the last one.. 

2 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

They came out with this visa in November of 2016 then sandbagged it for 7 months due to all the criticism....

After thinking over this visa for the last 7 months they now come out with the exact same visa....The only difference being that I can tell,is you now need a police report and you now must buy Thai health insurance.....

Boy they sure did not make the slightest effort whatsoever to respond to any of the criticism..This version is actually worse than the last one.. 

i am not attacking you, but I am seriously wondering how the criticism was presented to the Thai government?

Thailand has been trying its hardest to keep itself separate from the rest of the world for so long that this country truly now doesn't have a clue what the rest of the world thinks of it - it doesn't even know much about what's really out there!

This is yet another wild idea to try and grab money from us aliens. If exactly the same offer had arrived in my email from Nigeria, I'd smile at the blatant scam and bin it straight away.

3 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

In comparason to my Non O, followed by 10 extensions of stay based on retirement, this does not seem particularly attractive.

I fail to see which group it is aimed at?

Its just another jurk off move by the jaunta can change at  whim , go Vietnam  great no double dip price for farang  and one for thais all pay same price leave khailand for dead non racists against farang as the thais are + there surrounding neighbours they do treat them like <deleted> when there working there from a poor neighbour country's , to famn voilent there in denial the jaunta kwailand nanny country i left and been in and out for 30+ yrs " so glad i have gone where treated as human being  and not atm machine " im over thai double standards they cab keep there quality  chinese, lndians , Russian tourist for 7/11 and family mart , visa r great in Vietnam easy hassle free 3 × 3 month tourist  if u want on line they  want us , even laugh about thailand way they treat farangs they told me best thing thailand did for them , we want u come and stay live buy a house  or apartment easy to start business in your name and work visas r easy to apply for + price's are same for all going out , eatimg, parks etc, u can live there for 5 years and take up if u wish duel citizenship, criky leave , thailand in the land of oz .nanny country and violence has absolutely rife now farang and thai wives  all living there, example hanoi da nag  . Best move ever.

4 hours ago, merijn said:

I don't see the advantage of this.

You can get easily a one year extension based in retirement for 1900 baht.

If you have the money for the 10 year visa and are forced to tie up the money why would you not go for the normal 1 year extension instead?

Your spot on. They talk about 3 million baht like it's 300 baht. There never gona sell this visa.

3 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Idiots. I bet not 1 person will get this visa.

If they do then they are fools?

A military run country is not a place i would put 90k in and its also why i dont put 25k in.

Why bother printing this crap.

I bet soon after they remove the retirement visa. 

Thailand is bent on destruction of expats amd tourists i read about it every day.

I dont think there is any hope for this place . 

Its all down hill since 2014

Just my opinion.

I can certainly see your logic and reasons for your comment, it smells like a cash lock away insurance job to me, and if anyone was here and had money in certain banks when they crashed a few years ago or appeared to crash, they should remember what the feelings were for how safe your cash actually was, never in a military controlled country should this 'offer' be considered, unless of course you are so wealthy you are able to say'no problem'.

11 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

i can think of lots of other things to do with 3 million baht rather than have it sitting in thailand at 1% interest on a good day..

I get 1.7% tax-free on my retirement extension deposit here.

This is actually better than I could get in many western countries, including the UK, without locking the money up for several years. And if I take into account the devaluation of the GBP against the THB I have in fact earned about 30% over the last few years. More by luck or force of circumstances than by judgement, admittedly.

1 hour ago, connda said:

That will make Thai banks happy.  Deposits are guaranteed to 1 million baht after which the remainder becomes fodder for a 'bail-in' during the next financial crisis. 

No, the current limit is still higher, as the government has continued fiddling with the changes to the deposit insurance amounts, and delayed what was going to be an earlier reduction. At present, the 1 million baht coverage limit isn't supposed to take effect until 2020... But that year certainly would be within the timeframe of a current 5=10 year visa. So it's not an issue today, but certainly could be in the coming years.

5944b8bc72ce5_2017-06-1712_02.jpg.7dca223f1a572ccff27186c6ffcd0603.jpg

Personally, I would not put 1.5 million or 3 million into any Thai bank account, for two reasons.

1. I can make much better earnings on my funds, in a safer environment, elsewhere.

2. I don't trust the Thai banks and don't like the hassles on trying to get imported money out of the country once you've brought it in. The fact that the government also is planning in the future to cut their deposit insurance to 1 million per account per bank adds to that dis-trust.

1 hour ago, Gramps said:

No thanks. I'll stick to my "no money in bank, 65,000 baht per month, one hour at Immigration once a year for an extension and multiple re-entry permit"  scheme.  Works fine.

Indeed, I think the best thing about the current announcement/report is the fact that they appear to be leaving the current annual marriage and retirement extensions un-molested.

There had been some ardent Thai Elite visa proponents here who'd been scaremongering that there were very drastic changes coming to the extensions system that would have us all rushing to buy Elite visas.  Fortunately, thus far, that's not the case.

So I suppose this means that you have to buy junk Thai health insurance even if you already have international health insurance.  If you have 3000 USD per month income then other than the insurance requirement this visa doesn't seem so bad. Assuming that you still need a re-entry permit the price per year is almost the same as the retirement visa.

Plus you don't have to show up once a year to do your retirement extension, only once every 5 years. In my case I don't have to get my income affidavit and deal with immigration to get my extension every year but I assume that in this case I would still have to get a new multiple re-entry permit every year.

Can anyone confirm that re-entry permits are still needed with this new visa?

2 hours ago, DavoTheGun said:

Trying to get Health Insurance if over 70 would be interesting, not!

Among the Thai insurers, anything over 65 is a real challenge. There are just a few that will write new policies beyond age 65, but of course, they'll also exclude from coverage most anything that's ever bothered you, and the premiums will be very high.

On the other hand, if you already have existing Thai health insurance, it's often possible to extend it beyond age 65, but again, the premiums are going to go sky high as you get older.

1 hour ago, ekkamai said:

Who in their right mind would want to lend 3M to their Thai bank - (no interest like the 800K required now) -  for a full year?

Another one who is so eager to slag it of that he sees things that aren't written.

Where does it say that the deposit will bear no interest?

15 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i am not attacking you, but I am seriously wondering how the criticism was presented to the Thai government?

I don't know but I do know they had 7 months to read the last 10 year visa thread on Thai Visa....

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They must really wants the Brits. In the list of countries we are listed twice, UK and Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

maybe they are anticipating....or having a christal ball....for a future break up.....?

4 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I'll have some of that, even if I dont pull the pin on work in the next few years its handy for working overseas and not having to renew a Non immigrant in a different country every couple of years (For the pedantic ones , I renew my visa every year but most contracts/projects last 2 to 3 years and that usually means another country to work in and attain a Visa ,cheers)

I spent  over 45 years working for different American companies over seas as a electronics/communications technician  until I retired in 2010 in Thailand. The company I worked for always handled my visas for the countries I worked in.

Although , to be fair, sometimes I had to carry my U.S. passport around that country if I was stopped and asked to show it.

I worked in over 10 different countries, worldwide before I retired.

No complaints here.

I spent most of my non working "vacation" time in Thailand for most of those years.

24 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

No they didn't, they announced in November that would launch a 10 year visa, and confirmed now that it will be available from August

2 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I don't know but I do know they had 7 months to read the last 10 year visa thread on Thai Visa....

That thread alone went to over 160 pages !

Add to that all the other threads on all the other sites as well as the comments on the various news articles and editorials. I'm sure they had a wealth of critiques to peruse since late November (2016).

1 hour ago, fish monger said:

Pathetic joke...They never seem to think things through. Why in hell would anyone invest that amount of money in a country ruled by military....For all practical purposes, this country could implode at any time... Your funds are gone and the government could expel every single foreigner from the country... Thailand is not a very secure place to be...I don't care what anyone says...The bigger picture is looming....!

That's why I said I wouldn't put 1.5 million or 3 million baht into a Thai bank account.

I really don't think what you mention above is likely to happen or happen soon.

But on the other hand, I'm not willing to bet 1.5 to 3 million baht of my retirement funds on the chance that I'm right and you're wrong!!!

3 hours ago, nev said:

Such a shame they are only target the rich and not the average working class.

The thing is the rich are not going to live in Thailand the way it is now with a military run Government and so many other restrictions . If it was wild and free as it used to be maybe come for a visit but with all the BS about maybe not being safe if you wear a bikini unless your not pretty ( he did actually say that) jet ski scams , getting rid of popular street vendors  people visited ect no rich person would want to live here or stay long time except for maybe in Phuket or islands. They have no clue on how to market Thailand to foreigners and think that they know what we want instead of getting info from foreigners. Thailand could have something for everyone, adult areas for some, family areas and cultural tours but cannot just say this is what we will have and thats it. The other Asian countries in the area will soon surpass Thailand in visitors ,income and industry because they are changing, Thailand not so much for the better.

4 hours ago, merijn said:

You can get easily a one year extension based in retirement for 1900 baht

exactly this is the question as to the future policy of immigration!

How long will they still offer a one year extension? for how long will they suffer from 1900 baht, why not increase to say 5000 baht? for how long will they still be happy with 800k/400k to be shown when extending, why not finally move it up to 2 mill / 1mill??

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They must really wants the Brits. In the list of countries we are listed twice, UK and Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

"14 nationalities eligible: Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada and United States of America"

No UK mentioned there DSDog... Anyway I  don't care because they don't want any Kiwis. :saai:

Archived