Why does Pattaya bring out such debate?

Inspire

Been hearing this same drivel churned out every year since i first came here in 1996, and i am quite sure somebody will still be regurgitating the same claptrap in another 20 years, but no matter how long it is spouted.....still wont make it any more factual!!

I've heard most of those things said about Chiang Mai too. The good old days are gone everywhere, it seems.

On 6/18/2017 at 9:10 AM, Peterw42 said:

Its sour grapes, some of us are here living the dream. (we dont go to walking st and we didn't marry bar-girls)

The negatives are no different to any other expat area in Thailand, and the positives make it a great place to live, its affordable, great western infrastructure and lifestyle choices, 

All of the criticism comes from ill-informed people who dont live here or visit, or even live in Thailand. 

I have friends here that fly ultralights airplanes, race cars at the raceway, live in great houses/condos in small village like soi's, go deep sea fishing regularly, are part of the expat music scene, go to the pristine beaches just south of pattaya or out on the islands, go scuba diving,  ride motorbikes in a club with Thai and western members. They do all of this with their non bargirl Gf or wife.

When we eat and drink we have a choice that rivals any city in the word, cheap Thai food through to 5 star rooftop restaurants, and everything in-between. Most of the waitstaff have excellent language skills and are genuinely friendly because they have been dealing with westerners for decades..

We dont live in isolation to Thai people, we live together with thai people, have Thai friends and all the great aspects of Thai life.

We are not impacted by petty crime or ripoffs as we dont go to red light areas.

Why do people trash Pattaya? Its sour grapes, they live in there mothers basement in their home country and want to live here or they married a bargirl and live in nakon nowhere, were the only western infrastructure is the ATM

I agree with ALL of the above - however, whenever people ask me where I live -  I "NEVER" say ..... Pattaya, because as soon as you do - most people who are familiar (even if only vaguely...?) will immediately consider you a Sex-Tourist...... so I just tell them CHONBURI, or JOMTIEN, or just SOUTH of Bangkok.

I like the easy access from Suvarnabhumi - only about 14 hours Door-to-Door from my home in Oz - and it is very useful as a BASE, in between Trips throughout Thailand (because Pattaya certainly is NOT Thailand) - or trips to other SEA Destinations and Europe, The Middle East or US are still within (relatively) easy reach.

NO SOUR Grapes from me....:shock1:

Excellent post! I've been sharing my time between Pattaya and Nakhon whatever for 15 years and I am perfectly happy with this situation. Agree that most critics about Pattaya seem to come from people who do not really know the place and judge the book by its cover, not good practise...

5 hours ago, Froggybanrai said:

Excellent post! I've been sharing my time between Pattaya and Nakhon whatever for 15 years and I am perfectly happy with this situation. Agree that most critics about Pattaya seem to come from people who do not really know the place and judge the book by its cover, not good practise...

Except the cover of the book is "Sex Capitol of the World." It has its reputation for a reason. Many expats living there may not indulge, but when I visited it looked like a giant brothel. I hated it.

1 hour ago, duanebigsby said:

Except the cover of the book is "Sex Capitol of the World." It has its reputation for a reason. Many expats living there may not indulge, but when I visited it looked like a giant brothel. I hated it.

Pattaya is neither a capital nor does it have a capitol. :whistling:

On 6/19/2017 at 2:23 AM, rennie1988 said:

I'm always seeing the phrase "Pattaya is the sex tourism capital of the world". People come to Pattaya for many reasons, but it does attract an undesirable element from all corners of the world. I mean, almost the whole city is a red light district. Sex tourists don't have a reputation as being the nicest, friendliest type of people that you would let babysit your kids.

There was a time when probably the safest place to leave kids was with the 'girls'. They would protect those children like rottweilers. 

Sadly, those days have long gone.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, pumpjack said:

a thai woman in HAU HIN recently told me that PATTAYA  was   " the hell of thailand " .   

She probably never went there. Hua Hin is my idea of hell in Thailand.

Why? Because it used to be a great place to live, and they are ruining it with horrid promenades, horrid big buildings in front of the lookout, horrid broken marina, horrid useless car park at Bali Hi, stupid regulations aimed only at farang nite scene, and didn't improve any of the infrastructure. Beach is disappearing, water polluted, stinky drains, floods, over development, traffic jams, too many malls and getting expensive.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, suzannegoh said:

I've heard most of those things said about Chiang Mai too. The good old days are gone everywhere, it seems.

Whatever they say about the nite scene in C M, it's pathetic for anyone that's been in Pattaya.

The "good old days" are going anywhere I've been. I think it's something to do with how all people care about now is money and appearance.

Whatever they say about the nite scene in C M, it's pathetic for anyone that's been in Pattaya.

The "good old days" are going anywhere I've been. I think it's something to do with how all people care about now is money and appearance.

The topic wasn't the nite scene, it was the general quality of living, though the fact that you would think that it was goes a long way toward answering the OP's question. Of course Chiang Mai is not the best place for mongers, it never was.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

She probably never went there. Hua Hin is my idea of hell in Thailand.

Why? Because it used to be a great place to live, and they are ruining it with horrid promenades, horrid big buildings in front of the lookout, horrid broken marina, horrid useless car park at Bali Hi, stupid regulations aimed only at farang nite scene, and didn't improve any of the infrastructure. Beach is disappearing, water polluted, stinky drains, floods, over development, traffic jams, too many malls and getting expensive.

Well it doesnt seem to be holding back the hundreds of thousands of touring Chinese from visiting. The Beach rd is packed with tours .Or the thousands of younger independent  Korean and Chinese coed travelers that are everywhere now. And then all the domestic visitors. Then add to this mix the Indians and Arabs.