Medical certificate requirements for work permit

Does anyone know currently what tests are required for a medical certificate in order to renew a work permit ?

I'm hearing that it now includes all sorts of other blood tests, such as Syphilis and HIV ?

Did my renewal last week.

1)My original passport and work permit, plus required company documents were sent by my office to 'One Stop' at 8am and back by 11.30am.

2)No medical certificate required.

3)As I am on 'Marriage extension' I gave a copy of my marriage certificate only.

Very easy this time (this is my 4th renewal)...quite impressed.

17 minutes ago, thainet said:

Did my renewal last week.

1)My original passport and work permit, plus required company documents were sent by my office to 'One Stop' at 8am and back by 11.30am.

2)No medical certificate required.

3)As I am on 'Marriage extension' I gave a copy of my marriage certificate only.

Very easy this time (this is my 4th renewal)...quite impressed.

Thanks Thainet, did your work permit actually expire, or did you just renew the recent stamp ? 

In other words did you re-apply all over again and get a new blue book ?

4 minutes ago, taxin said:

Thanks Thainet, did your work permit actually expire, or did you just renew the recent stamp ? 

In other words did you re-apply all over again and get a new blue book ?

I actually always renew 6 -7 weeks before expiry, as my WP and Visa are 1 month apart.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No HIV test is required. Just the usual perfunctory health checks and a blood test for syphilis. Takes about 20 minutes.

I believe this is not a true statement, as I stated 2 posts ago. My WP is renewed in Bangkok at the Rama V building.

Edited by thainet

8 minutes ago, thainet said:

I believe this is not a true statement, as I stated 2 posts ago. My WP is renewed in Bangkok at the Rama V building.

You may be an outlier. Most of the rest of us need a new cert especially if teaching so it may depend on the job title

2 minutes ago, tonray said:

You may be an outlier. Most of the rest of us need a new cert especially if teaching so it may depend on the job title

I am an Engineer with a BOI company so that may account for it.

• Like 1

Thanks Thainet, I'm actually renewing an expired work permit, not renewing a previous stamp, effectively applying all over again. I'm renewing mine 6-7 weeks AFTER the last stamp expired and not before.

You are absolutely correct in that you do not need a medical certificate to get a new stamp in a current/valid work permit.

Sorry, what I should have said in my OP was "re-apply" and not renew, as often I hear many people refering to getting a new stamp as renewing, when it is not. 

Renwing the stamp in your WP is almost like 90 day reporting, your not actually renewing anything, you are merely checking in.

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I am a project manager at a BOI company and renewed last week, no medical at all.

I have already established that I need a medical certificate. My question in the OP was not if I required a medical certificate or not, the question I was asking is what blood tests are carried out as part of the medical, if any.

The medical states you are not suffering from the following six addictions/illnesses:

Leprosy

Tuberculosis

Drug Addiction

Alcoholism

Elephantiasis

Syphilis 3rd Stage

I have no idea which of these are detected by a blood test. I do know very well that some clinics do not actually perform a blood test, while some do.

• Like 1

A off topic inflammatory post has been removed.

All a I can say about the medical being needed is that it appears on the work permit application and renewal  forms. See: https://www.doe.go.th/prd/main/downloads/param/site/1/cat/14/sub/0/pull/category/view/list-label#

Also there have been many  reports on this forum of them wanting a blood test for syphilis as part of the requirement for few years now.

The medical states you are not suffering from the following six addictions/illnesses:

Leprosy
Tuberculosis
Drug Addiction
Alcoholism
Elephantiasis
Syphilis 3rd Stage

I have no idea which of these are detected by a blood test. I do know very well that some clinics do not actually perform a blood test, while some do.

As stated earlier, only the syphilis test requires blood to be drawn.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A off topic inflammatory post has been removed.

All a I can say about the medical being needed is that it appears on the work permit application and renewal  forms. See: https://www.doe.go.th/prd/main/downloads/param/site/1/cat/14/sub/0/pull/category/view/list-label#

Also there have been many  reports on this forum of them wanting a blood test for syphilis as part of the requirement for few years now.

Appreciate what your saying Joe but you may notice I was asking for "current" requirements and not from a few years ago.  As you may well know rules change all the time, a "few years" ago it was OK to do unlimited border runs while on a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

As an administrator of this forum I'm quite surprised you would ask posters to go back a few years for their answer, rather than encourage more up-to date information.

So back to my question, it seems the only blood test they may ask for is syphilis ? Im also hearing they have recently introduced a test for HIV ?

And please refrain from the usual predictable replies like "why, are you worried ?  The answer is yes I'm worried, I hate needles !!

7 minutes ago, taxin said:

As an administrator of this forum I'm quite surprised you would ask posters to go back a few years for their answer, rather than encourage more up-to date information.

I did not say go back and check for the answer. It has been posted several times since the blood test was first made a requirement.

I seen nothing that says a HIV test is now required. Their might some employers that will require one.

The current requirements that are shown for the physical are from an old ministerial order and it does not include HIV.

3. Not being insane or mentally sick, suffering from Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug Addiction, Alcoholism, Elephantitus and Tertiary Syphilis.