London/Finsbury Park: 'Several hurt' as vehicle hits pedestrians

webfact

Seems to that the UK is heating up.. if this get worse it would be a real bad place to be. Terrorist attacks.. flats that are not fire proof and a cover-up about it.  Lets hope cooler head prevail... though with crazies on both sides, i wont hold my breath.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Seems to that the UK is heating up.. if this get worse it would be a real bad place to be. Terrorist attacks.. flats that are not fire proof and a cover-up about it.  Lets hope cooler head prevail... though with crazies on both sides, i wont hold my breath.

You can have diversity or you can have peace and a civil society.  But you can't have both.

Extremists and terrorists of whatever affiliation should be dealt with in the same way. It's not like Britain has never experienced right-wing extremism before, Jo Cox's murder last year for example. 
One of the great things that we have seen from the tragedies of the last few weeks is ordinary people of all faiths and colours coming together to support the victims. That's the real Britain. 

" The Finsbury Park mosque was long known to have served as a clearing house for radical Muslims after Hamza arrived as imam in 1997. His hate-filled rants inspired attendees such as Richard Reid, the failed “shoe bomber”, Zacarias Moussaoui, one of the 9/11 terror plotters, and Mohammed Sidique Khan, one of the four suicide bombers who blew themselves up on public transport in London on July 7, 2005. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10841236/Abu-Hamza-trial-The-hate-preacher-of-Finsbury-Park-who-tried-to-plead-he-was-a-friend-of-the-West.html

Edited by Opl

34 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

Pay back for what happened recently in London,enough is enough now it seems

Terrorism is terrorism.  There's a 99+% chance that the victims are just innocent people going about their lives.  There is no way to justify this act.

Unless, of course, you just don't like Muslims.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I guess it was only a matter of time before someone turned the tables. I do not agree with the action, or condone it, though it is to some degree understandable.

27 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

So deliberately trying to kill innocent people is understandable,. You are as bad at the Islamic fundamentalists

I believe you will find, if you reread my post, I said I did not agree with or condone the attack, so your swipe at me is a bit off. My comment about it being understandable, is echoed in many of the posts here. It was recognition that some people, not me I hasten to add, were bound to feel the need for retribution, given terrorist events around the world.

I add that I feel an attack of this nature is evil and wrong, whoever carried it out and for whatever the reasons.

Well  am going to wait and see all the facts but the feeling I got from the UK and London a few weeks ago and I am back again very soon is that tensions and feelings are high. My sympathies to anyone hurt.

I have never been a supporter of multiculturalism and with the attacks across Europe over the last 18 months would support that idea. Before I get flamed, I do not support any form of terrorism from any religious side but it is growing extremely clear to me,  that various people/religions can't live together, in the way we expect civilized people to live.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

but it is growing extremely clear to me,  that various people/religions can't live together, in the way we expect civilized people to live.

Sure they can.  There have been peaceful Muslim communities all over the west for decades, centuries even.

Ask yourself what's going on in the world that has upset the apple cart.

The attacker was a 48 year old white male.  

I watched an interview on Sky News were a muslim man was shouting "tell them it was a white terrorist "  .   Ok so what ?    It's a war going on now , are we surprised?   

Edited by balo

Van driver deliberately ploughed into worshippers in London - Muslim Council of Britain

tag-reuters.jpg

Men pray after a vehicle collided with pedestrians near a mosque in the Finsbury Park neighborhood of North London, Britain June 19, 2017. REUTERS/Neil Hall

LONDON (Reuters) - A white man deliberately ploughed a van into worshippers near a north London mosque, the Muslim Council of Britain said on Monday, citing witnesses and video from the incident which left several people injured.

"It appears that a white man in a van intentionally ploughed into a group of worshippers who were already tending to someone who had been taken ill," the Muslim Council said in a statement.

It said the incident was the most violent manifestation of islamophobia in Britain in recent months and called for extra security at places of worship as the end of the holy month of Ramadan nears.

(Reporting by Costas Pitas; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-19

Just now, Usernames said:

Answer: Immigration from violent failed Third World countries into the West.

You mean the colonies carved up then abandoned when the west bankrupted itself with centuries of stupid Euro wars for glory and territory?

This is nothing compared to what happened on London bridge but of course it will be used in the media to tell us they are just as bad as ISIS. 

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

Sure they can.  There have been peaceful Muslim communities all over the west for decades, centuries even.

Really tell that to the Bosnians and the Serbs. Communities in France Germany, Manchester and London.

What is going on is obviously the 'so called war on terror'. Whilst I am not in agreement with it all, I still don't believe it is an excuse for what is happening in Europe which ever side of the fence you are on.

London has not seen terrorist attacks like this since the IRA in the 1980 and 1990s. Somehow I don't think an agreement like the Good Friday One will stop these current attacks.

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

You mean the colonies carved up then abandoned when the west bankrupted itself with centuries of stupid Euro wars for glory and territory?

I am sorry but I am not prepared to except what happened centuries ago for the murder of our children.

24 minutes ago, balo said:

The attacker was a 48 year old white male.  

I watched an interview on Sky News were a muslim man was shouting "tell them it was a white terrorist "  .   Ok so what ?    It's a war going on now , are we surprised?   

For the some token many here wanted that the 3 guys stabbing and killing would have to be called Muslim terrorists. So its not that strange. If a Muslim says I don't condone but understand people are ready to crucify him, here when someone does the same the comments are relatively mild. 

For the record i find comments like that understandable, just showing how things are on both sides. 

22 minutes ago, balo said:

This is nothing compared to what happened on London bridge but of course it will be used in the media to tell us they are just as bad as ISIS. 

Its only nothing because less damage was done.. the intent was similar.. what if the guy had done a better job.. would white guys be worse then Muslim terrorists ? 

Fact is there are crazies on both sides of the fence and the more attacks there are the more there will follow. Because every action will draw out reactions. 

Just now, vogie said:

I am sorry but I am not prepared to except what happened centuries ago for the murder of our children.

Sadly, it's still going on today.  Ya figure if the west wasn't bombing the crap out of their countries,  propping up despotic dictators, happily raking in $$$ trillions selling weapons to the combatants on all sides, and using the 3rd world acreage and human fodder to fight our proxy wars between democracy and communism, perhaps there wouldn't be so many refugees that don't fit in to their new homes?

ISIS will again be well pleased to see many comments here and elsewhere directly aiding their twisted goal of creating a clash of civilizations. Well done, keep helping to propel ISIS (a relatively tiny minority which otherwise cannot possibly 'win' without your constant servitude and invaluable assistance) by spreading ever more division thus creating ever more terrorists on both extremist sides, 'assisting' ISIS in achieving their sick aims. They will be especially pleased at how easy it is to manipulate you and sardonically thank you for defacto doing their bidding...

Meanwhile, those who refuse to aid or fuel terrorists/extremists twisted goals certainly wouldn't pin this heinous act on all white people or all Christians etc, any more than one should blame all Muslims etc for other heinous acts. Grateful for the vast majority on both sides who steadfastly refuse to fuel/aid/assist terrorists/extremists by refusing to stoke division and hate.

Van rams worshippers leaving London mosque, killing at least one

By Ritvik Carvalho and Costas Pitas

tag-reuters-1.jpg

Police officers attend to the scene after a vehicle collided with pedestrians in the Finsbury Park neighborhood of North London, Britain June 19, 2017. MANDATORY CREDIT Thomas Van Hulle/Social Media via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - A van ploughed into worshippers leaving a London mosque on Monday, killing at least one person and injuring several in what Britain's largest Muslim organisation said was a deliberate act of Islamophobia.

The Muslim Council of Britain said the vehicle hit people as they were leaving the Finsbury Park Mosque, one of the biggest in the country. The attack comes during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, when people attend prayers at night.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said police had confirmed it was being treated as a potential terrorist attack and said she would chair an emergency response meeting later on Monday.

Police said one man was pronounced dead at the scene and that the van driver, 48, had been detained by members of the public before being arrested. The driver would undergo a mental health assessment in due course, police said.

The London Ambulance Service said it had taken eight people to hospital, while two were treated at the scene.

Prime Minister May said her thoughts were with those injured in "this terrible incident". The leader of the opposition Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn, said he was "totally shocked".

The Muslim Council said the incident was the most violent manifestation of Islamophobia in Britain in recent months and called for extra security at places of worship as the end of Ramadan nears.

"It appears that a white man in a van intentionally ploughed into a group of worshippers who were already tending to someone who had been taken ill," the council said in a statement.

Police said they were called just after 12:20 a.m. (2320 GMT Sunday) to reports of a collision on Seven Sisters Road, which runs through the Finsbury Park area of north London.

"From the window, I started hearing a lot of yelling and screeching, a lot of chaos outside. … Everybody was shouting: 'A van’s hit people, a van’s hit people'," one woman who lives opposite the scene told the BBC.

"There was this white van stopped outside Finsbury Park mosque that seemed to have hit people who were coming out after prayers had finished."

The incident comes just over two weeks after three Islamist militants drove into pedestrians on London Bridge and stabbed people at nearby restaurants and bars, killing eight..

It also comes at a time of political turmoil, as Prime Minister May plunges into divorce talks with the European Union weakened by the loss of her parliamentary majority in a June 8 election.

She has faced heavy criticism for her response to a fire in a London tower block on Wednesday which killed at least 58 people, and for her record on security after a series of attacks blamed on Islamist militants in recent months.

One witness told CNN it was clear that the attacker at Finsbury Park had deliberately targeted Muslims.

"He tried to kill a lot of people so obviously it's a terrorist attack. He targeted Muslims this time," the witness, identified only as Rayan, said.

Other witnesses told Sky television that the van had hit at least 10 people.

'DELIBERATELY SWERVED'

Miqdaad Versi, assistant secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said the van had deliberately swerved into a group of people who were helping a man who was ill and had fallen to the ground.

"Basically, a van swerved into them deliberately," Versi told Reuters, citing a witness.

He said the driver had run out of the van but a group of people caught him and held him until police arrived.

Britain has been hit by a series of attacks in recent months, including the van-and-knife attack on London Bridge on June 3.

On March 22, a man drove a rented car into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge in London and stabbed a policeman to death before being shot dead. His attack killed five people.

On May 22, a suicide bomber killed 22 people at a concert by American pop singer Ariana Grande in Manchester in northern England.

The attacks were a factor in campaigning ahead of the June 8 election, with Prime Minister May criticised for overseeing a drop of 20,000 in the number of police officers in England and Wales as interior minister from 2010 to 2016.

She was also criticised for keeping her distance from angry residents during her visit to the charred remains of the 24-storey Grenfell Tower.

She said on Saturday the response to the fire, in which at least 58 people were killed on Wednesday, had been "not good enough".

The Finsbury Park Mosque gained notoriety more than a decade ago for sermons by radical cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri, who was sentenced to life in a U.S. prison in January 2015 for his conviction on terrorism-related charges.

A new board of trustees and management took over in February 2005, a year after Abu Hamza was arrested by British police, since when attendance has greatly increased among worshippers from various communities, according to the mosque's website.

(Additional reporting by Will James, Dylan Martinez; Writing by Guy Faulconbridge and Nick Tattersall; Editing by Robert Birsel and Simon Cameron-Moore)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-19

30 minutes ago, impulse said:

Why do people have to bring up what happened centuries ago, we are all supposed to be in a more civilised world now...centuries ago we didn't know better.  If you start mentioning recent things like Iraq, Afghan, Syria and the West interfering then I suppose you think we just should have sat back and watch as certain ethnic groups were systematically slaughtered, oppressed and abused?  We can't have it all ways.  Mind you if the West had just sat back a watch this going on it would have given certain people something else to f***ing whine about.

No sympathy for what has just happened, quite surprised it has not happened sooner.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Sadly, it's still going on today.  Ya figure if the west wasn't bombing the crap out of their countries,  propping up despotic dictators, happily raking in $$$ trillions selling weapons to the combatants on all sides, and using the 3rd world acreage and human fodder to fight our proxy wars between democracy and communism, perhaps there wouldn't be so many refugees that don't fit in to their new homes?

Top and bottom of it is that islam does not belong in our society, muslims do not want to integrate with the west, they bring their backward culture into the west and do not accept our values or culture. They want us to change for them, at the moment I have never seen England so volatile, it's like a tinderbox, maybe this is the start of something alien to us in the UK, like a fight back, who knows. But you can't keep blowing us up, knifing and running us down without someone blowing a gasket (btw I don't condone his actions,) everybody reacts differently to these attrocities.

Have you got many Muslim friends?

Just now, vogie said:

Top and bottom of it is that islam does not belong in our society, muslims do not want to integrate with the west, they bring their backward culture into the west and do not accept our values or culture. They want us to change for them, at the moment I have never seen England so volatile, it's like a tinderbox, maybe this is the start of something alien to us in the UK, like a fight back, who knows. But you can't keep blowing us up, knifing and running us down without someone blowing a gasket (btw I don't condone his actions,) everybody reacts differently to these attrocities.

Have you got many Muslim friends?

I work with about a dozen Muslims in BKK, and hundreds of them in South Thailand.  And I would take their company any day over a lot of the mongers we have cycling through on business.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Because it's still going on?

What exactly is still going on?  Except of course the problems involving muslims in nearly every single country on the planet where they infest. 

Again don't mention the West and Iraq etc, because the West has nothing to do with South Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines and some of the African countries.  They just can't help them selves.  

This attack was a When and not an If