Me first! Me first! - two Thai trains derailed at Bangkok's Hua Lamphong station

webfact

Me first! Me first! - two Thai trains derailed at Bangkok's Hua Lamphong station

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Two trains at Bangkok's Hua Lamphong station were pictured trying to use the same piece of track and were stuck for hours.

While the authorities are not sure who or what is to blame.

The trains collided as one was leaving the area of Platforms 9 and 10 and one was trying to get in. Train 285 was on its way to Chacherngsao while the number 78 was coming in from Nong Khai.

Fortunately no one was hurt but it took four hours to get the trains back on track.

Operations manager at the state railways Thanongsak Phongprasert said the matter was under investigation though it was unclear at this stage if it was an equipment failure in the system or human error that was to blame.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-19

All lottery crazed people are no on the hunt for those ' auspicious ' winning

numbers, I better tell the missus so she can run and get some...

and as for the train drivers, if we win. well done guys....

Lack of what is called a "Fouling point marker " which defines the limits a train can go into a crossing without fouling the adjoining branch track , Its a basic railway rule and used everywhere Also points should be set so a train falls off the rails first before colliding with another train. Looks like one stabled on the points and then points were thrown and another train came through  .  I've a 30 year career building and maintaining railways in several different countries and this kind of shit should not still be happening its pure lack of knowledge, .Roll on high speed

44 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Looks like they were "racing"?

It looks like train # 1262 "won"?

The trains collided as one was leaving the area of Platforms 9 and 10

Harry Potter jokester writing the article I think?

Train 1262 was slightly in the lead as you can see in the photo but to actually finish the race they had to make it to the merging of the two tracks to the one track. Therefore both of them sadly lost the race to the finishing line.

2 minutes ago, DLang said:

They do have issues with yielding to others. 

It actually hurts their ego and emotional well being. :sad:

The system in place should not allow this to happen its just that they have a shit or no system in place

Did anyone actually read the article? 

It clearly says, " The trains collided as one was leaving the area of Platforms 9 and 10 and one was trying to get in. "

That should make it simple to assign blame - the one at fault is the one who was trying to get in to Platforms 9 and 10 since they didn't wait for the other train to clear the tracks.

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

The system in place should not allow this to happen its just that they have a shit or no system in place

Would wager no system or it has been out of service for a long time.  SRT does not make much money from transport, so they do the bear minimal. 

The overnights to Chaing Mai and Nongkai make some money so they are usually no more than a few hours late.  Would hate to have to rely on the SRT on a daily basis. 

Lack of what is called a "Fouling point marker " which defines the limits a train can go into a crossing without fouling the adjoining branch track , Its a basic railway rule and used everywhere Also points should be set so a train falls off the rails first before colliding with another train. Looks like one stabled on the points and then points were thrown and another train came through  .  I've a 30 year career building and maintaining railways in several different countries and this kind of shit should not still be happening its pure lack of knowledge, .Roll on high speed

Perhaps the train to Chachengsao ( which was departing ) had almost cleared the points and the incoming train either started against a red light protecting the junction, or ran through the red signal (more likely).

Basic interlocking (which I'm sure they have - much of their signalling is supplied and installed by "Westinghouse", a very reputable company) would prevent the signal being cleared for the incoming train until the outgoing one was clear. I suspect driver error rather than signalman or signalling installation.

First it was motorbike racing in Sukhumvit. Now it´s train racing at Hua Lamphong.
You got to say that they do everything to make the country attractive for tourists.

I wonder when it comes to aircraft racing at Suvarnaphumi?

Do you think systems & maintenance on the high speed will be any better in the long run?

1 hour ago, coulson said:

Do you think systems & maintenance on the high speed will be any better in the long run?

With the Chinese involved quality and safety will not improve. Especially if the Junta interfere to speed thing up . What will suffer will be durability ie it will fall to bits a lot earlier than it it should do . As mentioned on other thread I worked as Track consultant for High speed Rail in Taiwan which was a sucessful 300k project at 300kph and China , We wrote report after report in China telling them that what they were building would not get anywhere near required standard and would not have a 99 year life time as required, The Goverments push for a advanced China meant our reports were ignored and it came to the stage where we just changed the dates on our monthly report because they did not listen or change as it would have cost them time to build it properly. We even told them how to build it properly in our reports which was not our job. So the omens here are not good for Thailands high speed railway. You may get a high speed railway but it will fall to bits earlier than planned also speed restrictions for remedial works which happened in China

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Perhaps the train to Chachengsao ( which was departing ) had almost cleared the points and the incoming train either started against a red light protecting the junction, or ran through the red signal (more likely).

Basic interlocking (which I'm sure they have - much of their signalling is supplied and installed by "Westinghouse", a very reputable company) would prevent the signal being cleared for the incoming train until the outgoing one was clear. I suspect driver error rather than signalman or signalling installation.

Agreed but as in Malaysia when we double tracked them from a 100 year old British built Railway to something what would be looked at as modern. The operating staff were using hand throw points old stye semaphore signaling , white painted blocks as fouling points.  They couldnt cope with the new technology and asked us to leave the Blocks rather than stop at the insulated joint until signal turned green, We gave them both but because of train overhang from the wheels to the front the Insulated joint is placed 5 metres back from actually fouling point , so when they kept tracking up to the fouling block everything the other side went red. They had to bring in drivers from overseas

7 hours ago, Dave67 said:

The loop should have had derailing slip points.

4 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Did anyone actually read the article? 

It clearly says, " The trains collided as one was leaving the area of Platforms 9 and 10 and one was trying to get in. "

That should make it simple to assign blame - the one at fault is the one who was trying to get in to Platforms 9 and 10 since they didn't wait for the other train to clear the tracks.

True but signaling should be Fail Safe

11 hours ago, webfact said:

it was unclear at this stage if it was an equipment failure in the system or human error

Now, if I was a betting man my money would be on "Equipment Failure" as the favorite, having managed to wrest victory from "Human Error" on uncountable occasions; especially when "Human Error" crosses the finish line first, it is invariably "Equipment Failure" that wins anyway on managerial grounds.