Blood in urine - Help

randymarsh

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

First post.  

Now

Did you really need to say that to people trying to help you?

Ok sorry I value all constructive replies, but we all know Sheryl's help is what makes this Health forum as good as it is.  I think without her, we would be better shutting it down as if that were the case, jak would probably have a point about taking advice from random strangers.

However, as Sheryl, is here, the Health forum is clearly worthwhile, and one of the best things about the ThaiVisa forum overall.  

On 6/21/2017 at 3:15 PM, randymarsh said:

Thanks for the advice Cheryl.

On staying hydrated, how much water a day is sensible in this climate?  With an hour or twos exercise, I'm thinking 5 litres a day spread as evenly as I can might be ok.  And I was drinking nowhere near that now I think back, I was probably averaging 2 litres a day.  I know there's a risk from too much water but very unlikely so rather drink too much than too little.  I've had 3.5 litres already today and only been to the toilet 3 or 4 times.

Are you saying you are walking 20kms a day in only an hour or two? Have you considered training for the next Olympic twenty kilometer race walk?

I find it hard to believe you could have gone from no exercise to walking a half marathon every day for a fortnight in a hot climate, with all the dodgy footpaths in Thailand, without ending up with blisters or some other muscle or joint injury, besides the dark urine. I walk a brisk 5-10kms a day and when I do walk 20kms in a day I feel it. 20kms a day would be 20,000 steps for most people... that's a lot.

Get a pedometer and calibrate it properly to confirm you are walking as far as you say you are.

I was trying to do as close to 15km as I could each morning between 9am and midday.  The remainder was just general walking throughout the rest of the day, evening.  My average was actually just below 20km a day but not far off.  

Edit:  sorry I see your point.  The "hour or two" I mention above is for my new plan - to cut back on anything as intensive as before, to avoid a repeat of last time.  It's not about what I was doing previously.

Here's my steps.  19th was day I got sick so I stopped since then.  I'm quite young and not too unhealthy so it's not impossible.  Here's a screenshot of steps:

And I got lots of blisters!

Edited by randymarsh

31 minutes ago, randymarsh said:

I was trying to do as close to 15km as I could each morning between 9am and midday.  The remainder was just general walking throughout the rest of the day, evening.  My average was actually just below 20km a day but not far off.  

Edit:  sorry I see your point.  The "hour or two" I mention above is for my new plan - to cut back on anything as intensive as before, to avoid a repeat of last time.  It's not about what I was doing previously.

Here's my steps.  19th was day I got sick so I stopped since then.  I'm quite young and not too unhealthy so it's not impossible.  Here's a screenshot of steps:

And I got lots of blisters!

Fair enough. I've done that sort of walking years ago but not every single day because whenever I did I kept getting nagging muscle and knee problems.

The idea someone said earlier about stopping at a convenience store for a drink along the way is also what I do. I try to have at least one coconut water or a sports drink as with all the water you need if exercising in the heat, you will need to top up your electrolytes. Don't forget some sunscreen if you're out in the heat of the day.

The test results you report show nothing to be concerned about.

Do not worry about the pH of your urine. Mainly a function of your diet (both food and drink - it is the kidney's job top maintain the body at the correct pH and it does this by excreting excess acid or base).

I do think though that 15 km a day is overdoing it and it is hard to see what you would expect to gain from it.  5 km would be plenty in terms of fitness.  While you seem now to be managing to avoid heat stroke and to stay well hydrated you will still likely run into skin and musculoskeletal problems (blisters, rashes, muscle strain etc) sooner or later if you persist in this.

Moderation in all things.