Please help me understand this!

scoooooby

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Why do you have to resist the temptation to honk at them?

Give them a good blast and waken them up.

I don't wanna get my head blown off. I've borrowed a few cars from my inlaws and I've seen the type of firepower Thais are driving around with. We are farangs, we are very very privileged to be living in their glorious country. Can you imagine trying to get the police to resolve road rage between a Thai and a farang? 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, JohnJay said:

I don't wanna get my head blown off. I've borrowed a few cars from my inlaws and I've seen the type of firepower Thais are driving around with. We are farangs, we are very very privileged to be living in their glorious country. Can you imagine trying to get the police to resolve road rage between a Thai and a farang? 

I don't think that blasting your horn at someone to waken them up can be classed as road rage, I always thought that road rage was getting out your vehicle and theatening them or chasing them for something they had done towards you on the road.

In saying that, I will not be bullied by anyone either on the road or off it. If doing something deserves a blast of the horn then they will get it.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

The ones that really piss me off I can understand as well. They are the selfish turds who can't wait for other traffic, so they pull into the scooter lane, then force their way back into the line of traffic when the lights change. Usually SUV's and large pickups.

I am talking to my mechanic about equipping my vehicles with retractable blades on the axles, similar to those used in the chariot race of Ben Hur. You have been warned.

Maybe it is possible to do some kind of retracting blade into the axle, but I doubt it. In Goldfinger the Aston Martin DB5 had this ability. But when I spent time at the Aston factory they told me everything on the car was real except for the retracting blades. They said the technology wasn't available back then in the sixties. I would settle for the machine guns and rotating number plates so the police cannot match your car to the CCTV cameras. The ejection seat would be fun though. I understand they have been installed in limos to stop hijackers......though in those the roof doesn't open and they are crushed to death against the roof.....what a lovely way to go!

1 minute ago, Mansell said:

Maybe it is possible to do some kind of retracting blade into the axle, but I doubt it. In Goldfinger the Aston Martin DB5 had this ability. But when I spent time at the Aston factory they told me everything on the car was real except for the retracting blades. They said the technology wasn't available back then in the sixties. I would settle for the machine guns and rotating number plates so the police cannot match your car to the CCTV cameras. The ejection seat would be fun though. I understand they have been installed in limos to stop hijackers......though in those the roof doesn't open and they are crushed to death against the roof.....what a lovely way to go!

Thank you Nigel.

On 20/06/2017 at 11:01 AM, robblok said:

To squeeze through is the advantage of a motorcycle driver (i do the same when I drive on my motorbike). Its just one of the perks of driving a motorbike. The slow start from green also has a reason, if you don't wait a bit you get taken out by red light jumpers (the ones you also describe). So even if you were in the front you would have to start slow too or risk a collision. Motorbikes in general are off far faster than cars and usually (not all but 95%) accelerate faster then cars. I have been in my car too behind motorcycle drivers and I never find them a nuisance. Who I do find a nuisance and a real danger are the red light jumpers. 

Yes the slow start is a must in a country where trucks mini vans and buses speed with bad brakes on slippery roads, that slow start may one day save your life. Some traffic lights even have a count down.

7 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Yes the slow start is a must in a country where trucks mini vans and buses speed with bad brakes on slippery roads, that slow start may one day save your life. Some traffic lights even have a count down.

Always make a habit of looking left and right as you drive through the green light. It's saved me from wiping out a couple of times.

I pull away slow after a green light all the time. Seen too many jump the light just to get hit by someone running the yellow light crossing our path. Seen bodies fly . Seen many people almost get killed . No way in hell I will race from the green light. 

2 hours ago, grollies said:

Who gives a shit? I have retired and moved to Thailand.

I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere nowadays.

But they have 49 baht Leo and free food at the bar with the balloons until 7. And it is 6:45. Gotta run. 

4 hours ago, JohnJay said:

Always make a habit of looking left and right as you drive through the green light. It's saved me from wiping out a couple of times.

Not only traffic lights, everywhere you pull out from. Had a woman on a motorbike come screaming across our exit from a petrol station the wrong way on a dual carriageway, she's alive today only thanks to my wife who's the best back seat driver ever - and the most annoying, bless her.

On 6/20/2017 at 3:19 AM, topt said:

Agreed if you are in the front. As the OP stated though what  I do not get is once some vehicles have started to move off there are often 1 or more who seems to leave far too big a gap or drive so slowly through the junction potentially impacting your chances to get through whilst still green.

Inexperienced drivers, people on their phone, not paying attention etc.  Not just in Thailand have u been in the USA recently, just as bad. So many people on their dam phones screwing up traffic. 

11 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I don't think that blasting your horn at someone to waken them up can be classed as road rage, I always thought that road rage was getting out your vehicle and theatening them or chasing them for something they had done towards you on the road.

In saying that, I will not be bullied by anyone either on the road or off it. If doing something deserves a blast of the horn then they will get it.

In Thailand, using your horn IS classified by Thais as rude and insulting. You may have got away with it so far; however, statistically it's becoming more and more probable you will do it to the wrong person.

Many years ago, my driving instructor taught me using the horn was an indicator of my own bad driving, because I should not get into a situation where it was needed.

Edited by bazza73
Addition

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

In Thailand, using your horn IS classified by Thais as rude and insulting. You may have got away with it so far; however, statistically it's becoming more and more probable you will do it to the wrong person.

Many years ago, my driving instructor taught me using the horn was an indicator of my own bad driving, because I should not get into a situation where it was needed.

If someone is sleeping at the wheel on a green light, it is nothing to do with my bad driving, the same applies it someone comes out a side road and causes me to brake.

If someone comes up on the wrong side of the road and puts me in danger, that is also nothing to do with my driving.

Your driving instructor would have been in a western country, right! Thailand is entirely different.

On 6/20/2017 at 7:09 PM, BEVUP said:

The other reason they are slow is apparently from what i heard is that they like to start off in 3 rd gear on the presumption that it saves fuel (hate to see what it does to engine)

Very valid point and not unique to LOS as I have seen this nonsense in a few SE Asian countries as well as China. Chances are if you buy a used car from a 'careful' Thai driver in Bangkok, the big ends are well buggered.

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Was this your Thai driving instructor or the one back home?

12 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Bangkok is where I learned that even if the road you're crossing at the junction is one way it's essential to check for traffic coming both ways before you start to move.

Oh Lord no! Not ANOTHER one who never uses his mirrors?

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Therefore you are a bully.If he gets out of the car with a gun he is a bigger bully.Cant you just drive around.

3 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

And what does that prove.

So you are happy for people to cut you up, put your well being and even your life at risk, force you on to Incoming traffic by being on the wrong side of the road, and not let them know about it?  I am not horn happy, but I am going to let these illiterate morons know about it in the more serious situations.

4 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Therefore you are a bully.If he gets out of the car with a gun he is a bigger bully.Cant you just drive around.

What a ridiculous post, I take pride in my driving and riding, and that is why I have never had a mishap involving any other road user in my 12 years here.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If someone is sleeping at the wheel on a green light, it is nothing to do with my bad driving, the same applies it someone comes out a side road and causes me to brake.

If someone comes up on the wrong side of the road and puts me in danger, that is also nothing to do with my driving.

Your driving instructor would have been in a western country, right! Thailand is entirely different.

Yes, Thailand is different. Most Western countries, with one notable exception, do not have drivers with a gun in their glovebox.

In eight years of driving here, I've learned it's better for my blood pressure to drive defensively, and just ignore the  ****wits.

If you want to skate on thin ice with your use of the horn, good luck.

4 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Yes, Thailand is different. Most Western countries, with one notable exception, do not have drivers with a gun in their glovebox.

In eight years of driving here, I've learned it's better for my blood pressure to drive defensively, and just ignore the  ****wits.

If you want to skate on thin ice with your use of the horn, good luck.

Good post, but as I have said, I am not horn happy but there is a time when you have to let some moron know what they did.

Believe it or not, there are some M/B riders riding against the traffic that just do not know they are in the wrong, and I am not just referring

to a minority.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Good post, but as I have said, I am not horn happy but there is a time when you have to let some moron know what they did.

Believe it or not, there are some M/B riders riding against the traffic that just do not know they are in the wrong, and I am not just referring

to a minority.

If you're living in Phichit, I'm surprised you see anything more than a tractor.

I'm OK with the scooter riders going the wrong way, as long as they stay in the scooter lane. See it all the time in Chiang Rai.

One of my first driving experiences here was going to a restaurant. Our neighbour we took with us directed me to a u-turn on the dual carriageway then do a left turn against the traffic  for 300m to the restaurant entrance.

This was to me save going another 1km to, the next u-turn. Quite normal apparently. Country folk heh?

4 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

If you're living in Phichit, I'm surprised you see anything more than a tractor.

I'm OK with the scooter riders going the wrong way, as long as they stay in the scooter lane. See it all the time in Chiang Rai.

That is fine, but what about the MC riding the wrong way up the hard shoulder, and forces you out on part of the first lane where the traffic are overtaking you? In my experience about 99.9% are guilty of this.

I would have no problem with that if only they would get right in and slow down or even stop depending on how busy the inside lane is

In my almost 12 years here, I have driven and ridden through the busiest parts of Bangkok and other major cities, and believe it or not, I have found the driving and riding in Bangkok is of a much higher standard than say, Nakhon Sawan, Phitsanulok, Khon Kaen, Rio Et (the worst by a long shot).