Thai engineers working on high-speed rail project possible: Wissanu

webfact

Thai engineers working on high-speed rail project possible: Wissanu 

By The Nation

d437e55149bbb56b97ae35b2bdb7bdf5.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- A proposal to employ Thai engineers to work on the Bt170-billion Thai-Chinese high-speed rail project is constructive and can be implemented, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam has said.

Before his meeting on Monday with representatives of the Engineering Council and the Architects Council, Wissanu said more opinions needed to be gathered on issues regarding Chinese engineers and architects working in Thailand on the high-speed railway project.

Currently, only Chinese engineers are allowed to work on the project, according to the project contract between Thailand and China.

The government last week issued an order via Article 44 of the 2014 provisional charter, which was retained as a provisional clause in the current constitution, to grant multiple legal exemptions to the multibillion-baht scheme.

The order was issued by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha as head of the National Council for Peace and Order. 

The exemption includes allowing Chinese engineers and architects to work in Thailand on the project, bypassing existing regulations which require them to take local tests to qualify for the work. 

Thai engineers and architects raised their concerns, saying it might sideline Thai engineers and architects and the Kingdom would not get technology transfer.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30318573

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-20

"Thai engineers and architects raised their concerns, saying it might sideline Thai engineers and architects and the Kingdom would not get "technology transfer."

Yes, but you see, we need the trains to stay on the tracks and the stations not to flood. You can get the "technology transfer" the way Thais always do, by looking over the Chinese engineers shoulder.

and can you imagine what the Chinese will go through with having to tell a Thai what to do and how to do it?

and what language is this all going to happen in?

Edited by NCC1701A

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai engineers and architects raised their concerns, saying it might sideline Thai engineers and architects and the Kingdom would not get technology  transfer.

I think they meant to say "money transfer". Nothing surer than nepotism would be one of the first considerations and a quick run around by the hierarchy will possibly be done to find relatives and friends who could "qualify" as grunts for the Chinese.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The exemption includes allowing Chinese engineers and architects to work in Thailand on the project, bypassing existing regulations which require them to take local tests to qualify for the work. 

Due processes being skirted once again.  Sure the Thais and the Chinese will get on famously.

12 minutes ago, halloween said:

Somebody's got to make the coffee, carry the heavy stuff.

Ouch !  Not nice.  Thais built the Taiwan subway system and The Taiwan high speed rail.  Thai technicians go Hong Kong periodically to install new equipment on the MTR.  Bypassing an educated work force only makes sense for the Chinese. 

13 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Ouch !  Not nice.  Thais built the Taiwan subway system and The Taiwan high speed rail.  Thai technicians go Hong Kong periodically to install new equipment on the MTR.  Bypassing an educated work force only makes sense for the Chinese. 

"Bypassing an educated work force only makes sense for the Chinese""

Educated work force? Seriously?

Good God. Just think how all this will struggle forward gives me a headache. Thais are hopeless. Some are polite (especially if they want to you buy something from them), some aren't thick as pudding and most are uneducated; but in my experience, all are more or less completely hopeless while believing they are expert at everything without ever having to learn how to do anything.

And to be candid, that includes the Prime Minister.

If there are 15 ways to balls something up, a Thai will find 16 ways.

Edited by Trumpish

The Chinese won't care as they know that the project is a go due to article 44.

Wasn't the tender going to be awarded to the Japanese back in 2010? Or wont they deal with an unelected government run by military types?

In any event he has the cart before the horse.

38 minutes ago, Trumpish said:

"Bypassing an educated work force only makes sense for the Chinese""

Educated work force? Seriously?

Thailand has some very experienced railway people.  Most of their training from foreign owned businesses.  The Taiwan project was the biggest construction project in the world at the time.  Think you are thinking of SRT and the silliness of all the falling tools and beams.  Sadly the clumsy exists also. 

18 minutes ago, Trumpish said:

Yes, indeed. I can see that from the state of the railways in Thailand. And the SRT.

I wonder what they're experienced in...

SRT is a property management company posing as a railway.  Associating all Thais with the corrupt or incompetent environment they live in is unfair. 

Thai workers did a lot of the tunnelling works on the Dubai Metro and were highly thought of there. Not many other Thai engineers except my mate Wichit I took there to help me with the Test and Commissioning of the Comms systems..

I have worked with a lot of Thai engineers and they are generally very competent, although I doubt many have experience of the very different requirements of a high speed railway like Japan and Taiwan have.

With the right guidance they will be OK and I am sure will pick up some useful knowledge. I repeat "with the right guidance".

Just now, yellowboat said:

SRT is a property management company posing as a railway.  Associating all Thais with the corrupt or incompetent environment they live in is unfair. 

I guess so, in the same way as association all SS troops with the holocaust is unfair. But then I didn't do that either so I suppose it's moot.

1 minute ago, Classic Ray said:

Thai workers did a lot of the tunnelling works on the Dubai Metro and were highly thought of there. Not many other Thai engineers except my mate Wichit I took there to help me with the Test and Commissioning of the Comms systems..

I have worked with a lot of Thai engineers and they are generally very competent, although I doubt many have experience of the very different requirements of a high speed railway like Japan and Taiwan have.

With the right guidance they will be OK and I am sure will pick up some useful knowledge. I repeat "with the right guidance".

Ay, there's the rub.

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

That has ruined an already dodgy project. You can just hear the excuses already, that wasn't our poor work that made the train crash, it was the Chinese. 

Dodgy... sounds about right.

I just had a conversation with my Thai wife, and we agreed that the proposed rail line linking China and Malaysia won't happen. It won't be late, is just won't happen. Oddly, she asked why the Chinese demanded that Chinese labour be used. Then it dawned on her. Revelation. Two reasons:

1. Economic: The Chinese get paid what Thais would otherwise get paid - and take much of it back to China..

2. Efficiency. The Chinese don't want to have to rely on Thai labour to get the thing built well.

The downside, as soalbundy has already posted, is that when it goes wrong or just doesn't happen, the Chinese will get the blame. Of course by then, submarines, troop carriers and whatever else will already have been paid for, and there's a whole other story.

Only one thing I can say for sure about this (what I believe will be another Thai farce), is that I won't be going on any high-speed train driven, managed or anything else by Thais, not when I review the number of times their low-speed trains break down or bump into things. Same as I wouldn't even consider flying on one of their Air Force aircraft. The machinery I trust, the maintenance and the people I don't.

Edited by Trumpish

When calculator needed  for simple maths - for Thais including some people in this industry - scares me and they bothered about workers losing out on money as not qualified over the world - not saying all but most  

better they don't loose their lives but as this is Thailand always me more money - more snouts lapping it up and let the people that have been building these links do there job 

18 hours ago, Trumpish said:

Yes, indeed. I can see that from the state of the railways in Thailand. And the SRT.

I wonder what they're experienced in...

Well, they would seem to excel at derailment.  However they have ZERO experience in high speed rail.