Left on his own, a German citizen faces amputation in Pattaya

webfact

12 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

I copied the below from allnurses.com     

This is what my pharmacology textbook says about penicillins. It includes the cephalosporins with the penicillins (I'm paraphrasing):

First-Generation

penicillin G and penicillin V

have a narrow spectrum of clinical use (this means there are only a few organisms that they are able to successfully treat with this class of penicillin)

good for common gram-positive bacteria that cause ear and throat infections, venereal diseases of gonorrhea and syphilis, and staph infections due to Staphylococcus aureus that cause abscesses, endocarditis and pneumonia

a very high number of the drugs in this group are resistant to organisms that produce penicillinase [Penicillinase is an enzyme that some bacteria are capable of producing. This enzyme is also called a beta-lactamase and it inactivates some of the penicillins.]

Second-Generation

ampicillin, amoxicillin

have an extended or broad spectrum of clinical use

work equally as well as penicillin G class plus effective against Escherichia coli, Proteus mirabilis and Haemophilus influenzae which are associated with urinary, respiratory and ear infections

all drugs in this class can be taken orally as they are well-absorbed from the GI tract. Patients will get higher plasma levels of amoxicillin than with ampicillin, so amoxicillin is more frequently ordered

ampicillin can also be given IM or IV

not very effective against penicillinase-producing organisms

Third-Generation

carbenicillin and ticarcillin

carbenicillin can be given orally; ticarcillin is given IM or IV

broader spectrum of use than the second-generation penicillins

used in the treatment of serious urinary, respiratory and bacteremic infections due to gram-negative Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Proteus vulgaris

not resistant to penicillinase-producing organisms

Fourth-Generation

mezlocillin sodium, piperacillin

more potent than the other three classes

given IM or IV

have less sodium salt in them than the other penicillins so if a patient has congestive heart failure and needs restricted sodium intake this may be a reason for the doctor choosing one of these penicillins for them

used for serious infections due to Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus vulgaris, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Bacteroides fragilis in combination with other antibiotics

not resistant to penicillinase-producing organisms.

Thanks for the informations, I didn't know about these at all. Kind of you to give the informations.

Perhaps the name is misleading, I mean when it says "generation", I got the idea of the time sequence thing but it is not. It's just to distinguish the difference.

• 4 months later...

This person is a guy who has left his wife and three children back in Germany without any support. His family, especially his children, have suffered for years - did he care?

Why should his children take care of him now? They actually can´t support him for financial reasons.

His family has lost contact to him (and doesn´t want to reestablish) - but he knows where the family is.

On 6/20/2017 at 5:32 PM, tonray said:

I find it hard to believe the German embassy will not do anything, they take in everyone, my guess is he does not want to return to Germany and in that case there is nothing they can do.

Probably true. The German embassy would most likely loan him the money for the ticket, then the ministry of foreign affairs would ask him to repay it in Germany once he'd registered his address there. I presume the embassy in Bangkok would require him to go there in person. I'd seek medical attention in Germany if I were him. Good luck!