Thais flummoxed - what was Cambodian man doing with 126 ATM cards and 3 million baht in a bag at a border ATM

webfact

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Even though there was no evidence of a crime?

Does he get it back if his story proves correct?

You know as well as I do, they will do whatever they can (legal or illegal) to keep the money !!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a crock of shit Police let him go and confiscate the money with 40 brown envelopes/ Kiss my ass ro article 44 :-)

In any Farlang country this guy would be at least looking at 2-5 years in gaol and auto gaol with no bail. Oh no not here! lol.

Now.......... where is Wally(Red Bull Heir). MM me thinks hiding with the Prime Minister General as Oh he has been so silent on this criminal? Red Bull laughing at us Farlang for complaining about justice in Thailand?

21 hours ago, berybert said:

No evidence, so whats all that stuff on the table in front of  them ?

It should have read "no evidence of a crime".

If none of these bank cards are reported stolen - and with so many, you'd expect at least a few of them to be - there is indeed none at that point.

The kid was unfortunately way too naive and self-centered and that lack of hiding what he was doing makes me think he really had the card holders approval to get their money... and now he's in deep <deleted>.

Police suspicious as Cambodians request return of Bt3m and 136 ATM cards
By Chatchawal Sopapan
The Nation
SA KAEW

bac505bff13a28bf00c73d494f468b49.jpeg

SA KAEW: -- A 24-year-old Cambodian man on Wednesday led 11 compatriots to request the return of 136 Thai ATM cards that Thai police had seized on Tuesday along with Bt3.34 million cash and six Thai bank account books.

Although the Cambodians’ names were on the ATM cards, police refused to return the cards to them pending an investigation, prompting the Cambodians to complain at the Sa Kaew’s Klong Leuk Police Station. 

The Cambodians reportedly had given conflicting accounts of their livelihoods. The 24-year-old man, Kaew Heng, claimed the cards belonging to Cambodian workers based in Bangkok, but authorities said his well-dressed compatriots looked more like businesspeople and some had claimed they were exporters.

Deputy superintendent Pol Lt-Colonel Jatupat Singhatthit said police asked Kaew Heng to appear on Wednesday for further questioning, but he still gave contradicting information in regards to the origin of the Bt3.34 million.

He reportedly claimed his Cambodian employer had wired the money to him, although he previously said he brought Cambodian currency to exchange into Thai baht, according to police.

The initial investigation found that he had wired money from various bank accounts to his account and withdrew the cash, which he allegedly planned to smuggle out of the Kingdom, police said.

Jatupat said police had let Kaew Heng go after apprehending him near the Rong Klua border market on Tuesday because they had no incriminating evidence against him, although they were suspicious that he might be involved in transnational motorcycle thefts. Other suspects in the case were busted in Samut Prakan’s Bang Phlee district on January 20. 

Before they let him go, police made a photocopy of his passport and recorded his identity details pending further investigation of alleged financial transactions with another Cambodian suspect, Tola Heng, who was arrested for allegedly accepting stolen assets linked to the stolen motorcycles. Police also reported that B1 million was deposited and withdrawn from Kaew Heng’s bank account on daily basis although they could not determine was his profession was.

He also reportedly travelled to and from Thailand on a daily basis.

Superintendent Pol Colonel Seksan Wattanapong has contacted the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) to join the investigation, while the AMLO in turn invited Jatupat to provide information at its head office in Bangkok on Friday in order to set up a committee to join the Klong Leuk police investigation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30318719

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-22

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Only the ones in his own name I would hope.

So all the workers would lose their money. 

If his version of events is correct, then the only ones who will suffer from permanent confiscation are them. 

18 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

So all the workers would lose their money. 

If his version of events is correct, then the only ones who will suffer from permanent confiscation are them. 

He was doing something not permitted by the issuer of the cards, I would like to think the police and the banks would prevent this.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

He was doing something not permitted by the issuer of the cards, I would like to think the police and the banks would prevent this.

Is it not permitted to give someone else your card to use?

As others have said, he would have been crossing borders with more than the amount of money allowable, however that's not really the point I was raising.

I just think that those who will lose their money are those least able to do so. 

If his story is true that is. 

If...

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Is it not permitted to give someone else your card to use?

As others have said, he would have been crossing borders with more than the amount of money allowable, however that's not really the point I was raising.

I just think that those who will lose their money are those least able to do so. 

If his story is true that is. 

If...

a Cardholder must not disclose his PIN to anyone in any circumstances.
(From my T&Cs)

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
a Cardholder must not disclose his PIN to anyone in any circumstances.
(From my T&Cs)

Yeah, I see that. I would never divulge mine. 

Always though that was the bank trying to limit their liability for card fraud.

Again I see how that could apply if the workers were ripped off by someone and wanted the banks to compensate them. . 

In this case though, the authorities have their money and should return it to them. 

If, the guy's story is correct that is. 

Keep the money and make this kind of practice a crime for sure.  Do not return any of the money

and maybe the Cambodians will learn to do things themselves.  Let this guy pay off he people he supposedly

was working for.  555.

Geezer