Filing for US Social Security from Thailand

themerg

I don't want to go to USA to file to receive my Retirement benefits.

I want to do from Thailand.

I read but cannot find.

I saw Bangkok Bank will help with paperwork to Manila, PI US Social Security with the understanding that money goes to Bangkok Bank.

I know there are many US expats here in LOS. I am on a Thai Retirement Visa.

I want to collect starting on my 64th Birthday month starting by my February, 2017 check.

I would like information, so I am not running around needlessly in the Thai heat.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Info for applying while here is here on embassy website. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/social-security/retirement-benefits/

You can get your SS payments direct deposited to a special direct deposit account at Bangkok bank via their branch in New York. Info for setting it up is here. 

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

You might need to wait until you are 64 to do the application to insure your benefits are calculated from that age.

11 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

If you have a US address, real,  not a mail forwarder,  you  can apply online, just make sure you try during SS opening times

The same info is in the links posted. 

But is also states you will be contacted by the Manila SSA office for a interview by telephone.

Applying online can delay the processing and approval if using an address for here on the application done online.

IMO it would be best to start the process via Manila.

I applied through Manila late last year and walked another U.S. citizen through the pension application process with Manila over recent months.  Not hard at all.   See below post for more details to include the application form for a submission to Manila...it talks the bank account with Bangkok Bank also.

I've assisted several people in applying for SS here in Thailand.  First step was to use the on-line application process (be aware it's not a 24/7 service, you have to use it during the stated times of operation), then a day or two later contact the U.S. Consulate (everyone I've helped was in Chiang Mai) and ask them to notify SSA Manila that an online application was submitted for the person, giving SSN, and the confirmation number of the application.

Eventually, Manila responds with an email to set a time for a phone appointment.  It helps to shorten the phone conversation that they have all the information already input via the on-line application.  This is especially valuable if the applicant has difficulty using the telephone, i.e. stroke victim, hard-of-hearing, etc.

It's also VERY helpful to have the direct deposit Bangkok Bank account set up ahead of the phone interview, if that's the way the applicant wants to receive the funds.  As stated, the SS benefit can be deposited into a regular account in the U.S., even a joint account and the SS recipient can transfer funds to Thailand via online banking, ATM card, however they wish.  Just be aware that if you select this route, have a system in place with a back-up in case you become incapacitated, i.e. someone with Power of Attorney to communicate with your U.S. bank, a joint account holder, automated regular transfers, something.

On numerous occasions, I've known of retirees who have been either directed to gov't hospitals or transferred from public hospitals to gov't hospitals because no one can access their U.S. bank account, yet they have money in their U.S. bank -- but they're in no shape to move the funds to Thailand themselves.  In some cases, people have died needlessly because of this.

And after you have submitted your application with your foreign address (i.e., Thailand), either online or directly with Manila, after that submission the SSA Baltimore Office is the one who accomplishes the final processing of the application.   The Baltimore Office process those folks with foreign addresses.   The Baltimore Office has 60 days before they even need to look at the application for final processing once it arrives their inbox so to say.   When you submit via Manila you will not get a submission confirmation number which allows you to go online to check the status of your application; you only get a confirmation number when submitting online.

Once the Baltimore Office processes your application it will be several weeks before you get the decision notice via snail mail although you can can contact the SSA/Manila to ask what their system shows for status or if having a confirmation number just checking online line.  You can also call the Baltimore Office but they can be hard to get a live person and you'll probably have to leave a voice message...the Baltimore recording says they will call you back with 48 business hours but that may not occur as I know from my personal experience in making several calls to Baltimore when my application was being processed last year.  I had also contacted  the main SSA Help number and talked to a real person who could only see the status in the system (ditto for Manila) and really couldn't say why Baltimore had not processed/finalized the application yet. 

So when deciding to submit your application plan on it taking X-days to weeks before Manila contacts you to setup the telephone interview...then wait for that interview date...if the telephone interview doesn't require any additional info/docs like a copy of your Naturalization Certificate or Passport then you can assume that is the date Manila submits the application to Baltimore for further/final processing...and as mentioned Baltimore has 60 days before needing to open the application for processing.  

If you are a Naturalized citizen Manila will need to see the original or U.S. Embassy certified copy of your Naturalization Certificate or U.S. Passport after the interview.  Manila will tell you that you can take the document(s) to the U.S. Embassy who will copy, certify, and forward them to Manila for free....that way your important original documents get to stay with you versus being put in the postal system.   Manila will get the docs in X-days/a week or so and finalize their processing...then hit submit to Baltimore for final processing.

So, if you want your first benefit payment to arrive on month XYZ, but sure to submit you application 3 months ahead of time.   And for folks with an international address your monthly benefit payment is made on the 3d of each month (that would be the 4th in Thailand) instead of being paid for U.S. addresses on the 2nd, 3d, or 4th Wednesday of the month based on your birth date during the month.

I applied on-line when I turned 66 until I reached full eligibility,  I applied on 14 May 15, and got my first check on 14 June 15..............being deposited in a stateside bank, if I need it, I draw against a debit card.  As others have advised, You can have it deposited directly in a Bangkok Bank account, the address will be New York City Branch and you draw against it in Thailand - you have to open the Bangkok Bank account in Thailand............Good Luck

PS - I thought people moved to Chiang Mai because it was cooler than the rest of Thailand, we are having gorgeous weather in Bangkok, haven't had a drop of sweat in two weeks, and I walk everywhere.

22 minutes ago, Pib said:

And after you have submitted your application with your foreign address (i.e., Thailand), either online or directly with Manila, after that submission the SSA Baltimore Office is the one who accomplishes the final processing of the application.   The Baltimore Office process those folks with foreign addresses.   The Baltimore Office has 60 days before they even need to look at the application for final processing once it arrives their inbox so to say.   When you submit via Manila you will not get a submission confirmation number which allows you to go online to check the status of your application; you only get a confirmation number when submitting online.

Once the Baltimore Office processes your application it will be several weeks before you get the decision notice via snail mail although you can can contact the SSA/Manila to ask what their system shows for status or if having a confirmation number just checking online line.  You can also call the Baltimore Office but they can be hard to get a live person and you'll probably have to leave a voice message...the Baltimore recording says they will call you back with 48 business hours but that may not occur as I know from my personal experience in making several calls to Baltimore when my application was being processed last year.  I had also contacted  the main SSA Help number and talked to a real person who could only see the status in the system (ditto for Manila) and really couldn't say why Baltimore had not processed/finalized the application yet. 

So when deciding to submit your application plan on it taking X-days to weeks before Manila contacts you to setup the telephone interview...then wait for that interview date...if the telephone interview doesn't require any additional info/docs like a copy of your Naturalization Certificate or Passport then you can assume that is the date Manila submits the application to Baltimore for further/final processing...and as mentioned Baltimore has 60 days before needing to open the application for processing.  

If you are a Naturalized citizen Manila will need to see the original or U.S. Embassy certified copy of your Naturalization Certificate or U.S. Passport after the interview.  Manila will tell you that you can take the document(s) to the U.S. Embassy who will copy, certify, and forward them to Manila for free....that way your important original documents get to stay with you versus being put in the postal system.   Manila will get the docs in X-days/a week or so and finalize their processing...then hit submit to Baltimore for final processing.

So, if you want your first benefit payment to arrive on month XYZ, but sure to submit you application 3 months ahead of time.   And for folks with an international address your monthly benefit payment is made on the 3d of each month (that would be the 4th in Thailand) instead of being paid for U.S. addresses on the 2nd, 3d, or 4th Wednesday of the month based on your birth date during the month.

FYI - First, I have my SSA direct deposited into my US account. I was told two facts at the SSA office in America when I applied for my early retirement. 1) My direct deposit will be made on the 3rd day of each month since my birthday is on the 4th. This was true before we moved to Thailand and has not changed since we have moved to Thailand. We were also told the exceptions. If your direct deposit date falls on a weekend, then the direct deposit will be made on the preceding Friday. If your direct deposit date falls on a National holiday, then your direct deposit will be made the preceding day or on the preceding Friday if the holiday is on a Monday. 2) We were told to return to the office 1 week before leaving the US to have our Thai Address correctly formatted and changed in the system. We received a confirmation for change of address from the SSA to our house shortly after we arrived in Thailand. This avoided having to deal with Manila.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

And for folks with an international address your monthly benefit payment is made on the 3d of each month (that would be the 4th in Thailand)

The SSA does the direct deposits transfers on the 2nd so they are available in your bank on the 3rd.

I have mine direct deposited to Bangkok Bank in New York and they are in my account here on the 3rd unless it is a bank holiday here.

If the 3rd falls on a weekend the they do the transfer on Thursday before the weekend.

The SSA does the direct deposits transfers on the 2nd so they are available in your bank on the 3rd.
I have mine direct deposited to Bangkok Bank in New York and they are in my account here on the 3rd unless it is a bank holiday here.
If the 3rd falls on a weekend the they do the transfer on Thursday before the weekend.

Then why did I get direct deposits on the 3rd every month in America when my address with SSA was not international. I later changed it to an international address and it stayed the same? And, why was I told by the SSA office in America that the direct deposit date is dependent on your birth date and is no longer made on just the Wednesday of the week that your birth date falls on? Is it maybe coincidence that my birth date happens to be on the same date as international deposits? Do you know if everyone that lives in Thailand has their direct deposit made on the 3rd when deposited with banks other than Bankok Bank? Is this just a Bangkok Bank thing? Just trying to make sense of it all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hubby's SS payment is direct deposited to a U.S. credit union account, joint in both our names.  His birthday is on the 17th day of the month, but he applied through SS Manila.  The money arrives in the U.S. credit union on the 3rd day of the month and he receives correspondence from SSA at our Chiang Mai address, including the "are you still alive" form sent each year to foreign recipients.  So, it seems that SSA is using his foreign address to control what day of the month they make the deposit.

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Recently, I assisted two separate cases of  Chiang Mai expats applying for SS for the first time in situations that would definitely be considered as hardship cases.  They had been healthy, but suddenly struck down by illness and now very much in need of the extra income and unable to fully handle the application process themselves (now -- they would have before their illness).  I was VERY pleased with how quickly both the U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai and SSA Manila responded and lit a fire under SSA Baltimore to expedite processing.  It helped that both cases were very "clean" from the standpoint of SSA -- both cases were "native-born" U.S. citizens, with straight-forward work, military and marriage histories.  Plus, I had access to some basic documents to provide information that neither man was in any condition to provide himself at the time.  (Thank god, one guy's computer was working, not password protected and he had scanned & saved important documents. And in the other case, the man's Thai girlfriend had his documents well organized, without really understanding anything more than they looked important -- something I've seen other mature Thai partners do well before.)

Hubby's SS payment is direct deposited to a U.S. credit union account, joint in both our names.  His birthday is on the 17th day of the month, but he applied through SS Manila.  The money arrives in the U.S. credit union on the 3rd day of the month and he receives correspondence from SSA at our Chiang Mai address, including the "are you still alive" form sent each year to foreign recipients.  So, it seems that SSA is using his foreign address to control what day of the month they make the deposit.

Recently, I assisted two separate cases of  Chiang Mai expats applying for SS for the first time in situations that would definitely be considered as hardship cases.  They had been healthy, but suddenly struck down by illness and now very much in need of the extra income and unable to fully handle the application process themselves (now -- they would have before their illness).  I was VERY pleased with how quickly both the U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai and SSA Manila responded and lit a fire under SSA Baltimore to expedite processing.  It helped that both cases were very "clean" from the standpoint of SSA -- both cases were "native-born" U.S. citizens, with straight-forward work, military and marriage histories.  Plus, I had access to some basic documents to provide information that neither man was in any condition to provide himself at the time.  (Thank god, one guy's computer was working, not password protected and he had scanned & saved important documents. And in the other case, the man's Thai girlfriend had his documents well organized, without really understanding anything more than they looked important -- something I've seen other mature Thai partners do well before.)

Thanks NancyL. It seems to be a coincidence with me getting my deposit on the 3rd in America. But, I did get it on the 3rd in America regardless of which day the 3rd fell on. Not just on a Wednesday.

Thanks NancyL. It seems to be a coincidence with me getting my deposit on the 3rd in America. But, I did get it on the 3rd in America regardless of which day the 3rd fell on. Not just on a Wednesday.

Or maybe the date just stayed the same since I had the address changed before leaving America and it had nothing to do with the Manila processes. As I stated, Wednesday did not apply to me in America.

Anyway, thank you for your clarification. I guess it will have to remain a mystery.

1 hour ago, timkeen08 said:

Then why did I get direct deposits on the 3rd every month in America when my address with SSA was not international.

Do either of the these fit in your case.

Beneficiaries receiving benefits prior to May 1997 or receiving both Social Security benefits and SSI payments

That would explain why you were getting your payments on the 3rd of the month with a US address.

See this on SSA website: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031.pdf I could not find the schedule for 2017.

That would explain why you were getting your payments on the 3rd of the month with a US address.
See this on SSA website: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031.pdf I could not find the schedule for 2017.

I did not retire prior to that date. I never got a deposit the 2nd week as shown on that chart. As I was told by the SSA office, the 3rd of each month since my birth date was the 4th. I will just leave it as a mystery. Thanks for looking into it.

When your monthly SS pension payment occurs depends on "when you applied for benefits" and "your address."   The SSA refers to it using a "Cycles" reference Here's how it goes

1.  If you applied for benefits prior to Jun 97 (a couple decades ago) then your payment date is  generally on 3rd of the month "whether you live in the U.S. or a foreign address."     People with a U.S. address in this category would be in the 80's....probably at least 82 and above.    People like me far, far below 80 and who resides here in Thailand (i.e., have a foreign address) also receive on the 3rd.

2.  If you applied for benefits after May 97  and have a U.S. address then payment generally occurs on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Wednesday of the month depending on your birthday.

3.  If you reside in a foreign country you are paid on the 3rd like talked about in statement 1 above.

See the SSA language of above at this SSA webpage.

8 minutes ago, westsail said:

Is the exchange rate you receive when your SS check is direct deposited to your Bangkok Bank account the same that you receive when you transfer funds from the U.S. to a Bangkok Bank account thru Bangkok Bank's New York branch?

Yes.  The exchange happens at the in-Thailand Bangkok Bank branch just like a normal incoming transfer.   The Bangkok Bank New York branch still slices off its fee (generally $5 for payments up to $2,000, $10 for payments over $2,000) and then your in-Thailand branch applies a 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) fee.  

These fees are applied "before" posting to your account and will not appear on your passbook or ibanking which fools a lot of folks into thinking no fees were applied and also causes a lot of people to never get their personal math regarding "exchange rate given" to match exactly with any of the Bangkok Bank exchange rates for the date of posting.  

However, if you are signed up for the free Bangkok Bank SMS Remittance it will show the amount of dollars arriving your in-Thailand branch which will be x-amount lower due to the NY branch fee sliced off already, the exchange rate given, the in-Thailand branch receiving fee, and amount posting to your account.

Yes.  The exchange happens at the in-Thailand Bangkok Bank branch just like a normal incoming transfer.   The Bangkok Bank New York branch still slices off its fee (generally $5 for payments up to $2,000, $10 for payments over $2,000) and then your in-Thailand branch applies a 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) fee.  

These fees are applied "before" posting to your account and will not appear on your passbook or ibanking which fools a lot of folks into thinking no fees were applied and also causes a lot of people to never get their personal math regarding "exchange rate given" to match exactly with any of the Bangkok Bank exchange rates for the date of posting.  

However, if you are signed up for the free Bangkok Bank SMS Remittance it will show the amount of dollars arriving your in-Thailand branch which will be x-amount lower due to the NY branch fee sliced off already, the exchange rate given, the in-Thailand branch receiving fee, and amount posting to your account.

Is the Bangkok Bank account still a passbook only and your name only account? No ATM?

3 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

Is the Bangkok Bank account still a passbook only and your name only account? No ATM?

For the required/special Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit acct required for U.S. govt payments such as social security an ATM/debit card and "transfer-outs" via ibanking are not allowed. 

To withdraw/transfer funds out you must show-up  in person at any Bangkok Bank branch with passport in-hand.

If you already have Bangkok Bank ibanking you can transfer funds "into" the Direct Deposit account or transfer funds into the account from your another bank such as your home country bank.   Transfers into the account can occur electronically; withdrawals/transfers out requires your in-person body.

Basically, withdrawing/transferring funds out has to be done in person to prove you are still alive.  And the account can only be in your name; no joint account allowed.

For the required/special Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit acct required for U.S. govt payments such as social security an ATM/debit card and "transfer-outs" via ibanking are not allowed. 

To withdraw/transfer funds out you must show-up  in person at any Bangkok Bank branch with passport in-hand.

If you already have Bangkok Bank ibanking you can transfer funds "into" the Direct Deposit account or transfer funds into the account from your another bank such as your home country bank.   Transfers into the account can occur electronically; withdrawals/transfers out requires your in-person body.

Basically, withdrawing/transferring funds out has to be done in person to prove you are still alive.  And the account can only be in your name; no joint account allowed.

Thanks for the reply.

Another option that no one has discussed is U.S. direct express. This service is provided by the U,S. government. You just need to open an account with USdirectexpress.com and instruct them to have S.S. deposit your S.S. check directly into your USdirect account. From there you can transfer money to any other bank with a U.S. branch such as as Bangkok bank. You can also use a USdirect debit card anywhere in the world. This will save you the trouble of having to  go to the Bangkok bank branch to personally make a transfer.

INfo sent to me by Jeffrey346 thanks Jeff works great  

2 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

Another option that no one has discussed is U.S. direct express. This service is provided by the U,S. government. You just need to open an account with USdirectexpress.com and instruct them to have S.S. deposit your S.S. check directly into your USdirect account. From there you can transfer money to any other bank with a U.S. branch such as as Bangkok bank. You can also use a USdirect debit card anywhere in the world. This will save you the trouble of having to  go to the Bangkok bank branch to personally make a transfer.

That is indeed an option but use of the DirectExpress card in an ATM outside the U.S. will incur a healthy "$3 plus 3% of withdrawal amount on top of the Thai bank ATM User Fee of Bt220."   

On 6/27/2017 at 5:56 PM, Blue bruce said:

This is the first I have heard about being able to transfer funds from usdirectexpress.com to other banks.  I don't see any mention of that service on the website.  What is your source for this information?

9 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

This is the first I have heard about being able to transfer funds from usdirectexpress.com to other banks.  I don't see any mention of that service on the website.  What is your source for this information?

From the Direct Express website FAQ:

6.14 Can I transfer money from the Direct Express® card to a checking or savings account?
Yes. You may transfer funds from your Direct Express® card account to a personal U.S. bank account. A fee of $1.50 will be deducted from your Direct Express® card account for each transfer made. To transfer funds, call the Direct Express® card Customer Service Department toll free at 1 (888) 741-1115 or visit the web www.USDirectExpress.com.
  • 1 month later...

Just received my 1st ever retirement check from Uncle Sam, just can't believe that I am that damn old. Anyway, here is my experience from Thailand.

• Applied online (taxes, passport, bank info).
  • Received a phone call from Manila.
  • Received a letter from the Maryland confirming my SS bennies.
  • Waited 3 months.
  • Payment received on the 4th of August. All international people who use international addresses will receive their check on this date. An American bank goes by birthdays.
  • Bangkok Bank had issued an ATM card, which upon checking today, works.

Overall, relative painless. On a final note let me add that the SS database did check my Thailand Provident Fund and lowered my monthly amount accordingly. I could appeal but probably just a waste of time.

Archived