PM asks people not to hate military

snoop1130

I think there are a couple of old geezers posting here who don't like politics, don't care if the Thai people have any say in their government, and are happy to let a military what's-it-called remove all politics and freedom of expression from Thailand.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I think there are a couple of old geezers posting here who don't like politics, don't care if the Thai people have any say in their government, and are happy to let a military what's-it-called remove all politics and freedom of expression from Thailand.

And of course they never provide any data or precise fact, only their own perception. They know better than what is shown in economic data, because in their village, the economy is allegedly booming. An election is not necessary because they know better (alternatively, their wives know better) than the Thai if they are happy or not.

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Thailand is better off with this government, and those who have to wake up each day with bitterness on their mind should really seek happiness elsewhere.  I mean why waste your life being in a miserable place.

I don't think it is a miserable place and have no intention of leaving. It has some shortcomings like any other country. You are obviously the latest Promotions Manager for the "If you don't like it  get out brigade". Your sort come and go with regular monotony leaving nothing original behind. 

Some people posting here are concerned for the quality of life for their families under the present heel clicking military regime and many do it without the bitterness you describe. In fact your bitterness to those people who have opinions contrary to yours comes through clearly. 

The way that military censorship is progressing the day might soon arrive when we will be unable to read your righteous anti-democratic pro-military twaddle. 

Just now, Cadbury said:

I don't think it is a miserable place and have no intention of leaving. It has some shortcomings like any other country. You are obviously the latest Promotions Manager for the "If you don't like it  get out brigade". Your sort come and go with regular monotony leaving nothing original behind. 

Some people posting here are concerned for the quality of life for their families under the present heel clicking military regime and many do it without the bitterness you describe. In fact your bitterness to those people who have opinions contrary to yours comes through clearly. 

The way that military censorship is progressing the day might soon arrive when we will be unable to read your righteous anti-democratic pro-military twaddle. 

please explain how it affects your everyday life from morning till night .. ?

what is it that you had to change  ...  ? 

would you like to have the old way back when there wasn't actual control ?  would you like to see the road blocks and protests again ? 

Thailand, as some other countries work fine when someone can control all sides and in this case it's the Junta & Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha.  If one is so hell bent on living in a democratic society then the west is where it is apparently. But even there I believe there is corruption, cheats, thiefs in power.

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

would you like to have the old way back when there wasn't actual control ?  would you like to see the road blocks and protests again ? 

Thailand, as some other countries work fine when someone can control all sides and in this case it's the Junta & Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha.  If one is so hell bent on living in a democratic society then the west is where it is apparently. But even there I believe there is corruption, cheats, thiefs in power.

I thought you lived in a village.  All that you describe happened in select areas of Bangkok.

Where I live everything was peaceful and under control before the coup.  The roadblocks and protests started after the coup, along with martial law, emergency decree, curfews, soldiers on the streets and people taken from there homes for "attitude adjustment". That has mostly stopped now, but with the threat that all this will happen again if there are protests against military rule. 

You may think that's fine, most of us don't.

10 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I thought you lived in a village.  All that you describe happened in select areas of Bangkok.

Where I live everything was peaceful and under control before the coup.  The roadblocks and protests started after the coup, along with martial law, emergency decree, curfews, soldiers on the streets and people taken from there homes for "attitude adjustment". That has mostly stopped now, but with the threat that all this will happen again if there are protests against military rule. 

You may think that's fine, most of us don't.

Again ....  please explain how it affects your everyday life from morning till night .. ?

Democracy in the west is all done with smoke and mirrors,  there is still corruption in the west, there are still cheats in control.

Thailand is fine ....  each day is fine .....    it doesn't affect me or millions of others one bit.

7 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i just finished living in thailand for 10 years. i just left as i want my kids to be schooled in new zealand.

what is happening now in thailand effects me just as much, probably more than it does you as my family is half thai.  i am not speaking on their or any other thai persons behalf,  i never said i was. 

thousands of years of more history. no idea what that means.

still missing what you think i said that was so ridiculous. 

No, no, no, you don't understand. Only SpiderOrchid has the qualifications and experience to speak of what is real in Thailand, the rest of us know nothing. After all, he lives there! 

Despite the vast majority of the rural people having been terribly affected by the dreadful rice scam to the point of bankruptcy, for some reason there's a strong reluctance to allow these poor victims to express their anger and disappointment over who has betrayed them through the polls. Not only that, they're making damn sure that regardless of the poll results, the Army and old regime will still retain control. Why is that, do you suppose? Surely given your knowledge that the rural poor are ready to rise up and avenge the terrible hardships inflicted upon them by Thaksin and his evil family you would support an election as soon as possible, no?

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I personally think that he General PM has done at least as good a job as the last two leaders

and I do not think that he is nearly as corrupt as the last two were. My wife is Thai and her family

in Thailand were no fans of the last two leaders.  The last two leaders were considered as very rich

Hi Sos. and of course most Thais know how corrupt they were.

Geezer

Your understanding of Thai politics and society is quite lacking. The Shins were in no way considered Hi-So, they're new money, not old.  If your wife and her family were "no fans of the last two leaders" then you already know that she would think highly of Prayut in comparison. That's pretty much the definition of the divide.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Again ....   Again ....Again ....           

Democracy in the west is all done with smoke and mirrors,  there is still corruption in the west, there are still cheats in control.

Thailand is fine ....  each day is fine .....    it doesn't affect me or millions of others one bit.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Thailand is better off with this government, and those who have to wake up each day with bitterness on their mind should really seek happiness elsewhere.  I mean why waste your life being in a miserable place.

Where to start on the logic of this post? First, an unsubstantiated blanket statement, followed by a completely unrelated conclusion that anyone who might think differently is therefore "bitter" and thinks that being in Thailand is as a result "miserable".  

Actually, many of us of the opposing viewpoint to you and SpiderOrchid et al are quite happy living in or visiting Thailand and have their own sources of information that lead us to our own conclusions about the situation. I do strongly believe that the coup has moved Thailand backwards and only serves to prop up the old regime and perpetuate the same cycle that the country's been spiraling downwards within for 80+ years now. This does not mean however that I in any way admired Thaksin, or any of the other elected leaders. But that's part of the process of a fledgling democracy. If it's continually interrupted and power taken away arbitrarily and always by the same people and against the same side, there's no way forward other than the continuation of the cycle. I am happy to accept your (and his) arguments and observations, but I will debate them based on my own observations and understanding and without denigrating you as a basis for the argument. As far as arguments go, this one is rather lacking I'm afraid.

17 minutes ago, JCauto said:

No, no, no, you don't understand. Only SpiderOrchid has the qualifications and experience to speak of what is real in Thailand, the rest of us know nothing. After all, he lives there! 

Despite the vast majority of the rural people having been terribly affected by the dreadful rice scam to the point of bankruptcy, for some reason there's a strong reluctance to allow these poor victims to express their anger and disappointment over who has betrayed them through the polls. Not only that, they're making damn sure that regardless of the poll results, the Army and old regime will still retain control. Why is that, do you suppose? Surely given your knowledge that the rural poor are ready to rise up and avenge the terrible hardships inflicted upon them by Thaksin and his evil family you would support an election as soon as possible, no?

would seem that politics dont effect spiderorchid so no one should be discussing them.  

actually i dont know what will happen with the next election. i doubt anyone really does. i suspect many people will be angry that they wont really be elections at all but a sham trying to project the illusion of an election. i actually dont see any point having elections at all. not under they armies current method where they choose who runs and can take power back at any time.

If the army wish to be Thailand's police the boss needs to get them to work on the important things to improve,

not regression as the Ms Minister of Tourism's mouthpiece. We are adults,,,,,,, don't kill all the fun which is

what Thailand is known for

How about freedom of speech. Over the past year or two people have had to be much more careful in airing their views. At least in the west if you believe something is wrong, you have the freedom to say so, without worrying about repercussions because there aren't any. 

I live and work here, and it certainly affects me as I have  opinions I would like to freely express, but have to stay schtum, except with a close group of colleagues with similar views. 

This lot are also <deleted> up the country and since this is my home, it is of great concern to me.  

Edited by GarryP

11 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

That is fine for you." A brief period of democracy" may be fine for the plebs, it caused untold grief to the farmers, the backbone of this country.

Your brief period of democracy (despite rampant corruption) caused political murders, terrorism and total uncertainty.

Not the foundation to stable democracy. It also caused untold grief and debt to the farmers

But you city centric democracy heroes don't give a rats about farmers. You are totally ignorant about three fifths of the Kingdom.

God bless you sir, my hat off to you, we bow down to your superior intellect.

Or you could just leave and let Thais resolve a future for themselves. So far, everyone I talk to is happy with the status quo.

Junta huggers and haters alike always claim that all the Thais they know think like they do. It's an assertion that carries no weight.

8 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Junta huggers and haters alike always claim that all the Thais they know think like they do. It's an assertion that carries no weight.

I know people from both sides of the divide. But some people I thought would never change in their support for the current regime have become very disillusioned and are now anti. Don't know any who have gone the other way.  

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Is Prayuth not a thief? How did he get so obscenely wealthy off a soldier's salary? And why has declared that no one is allowed to ask that question?  Your comments are very bold here on TV but why not put your money where your mouth is and go about telling Thais they should be happy living in a dictatorship, and happy facing lengthy jail time for expressing and opinion or pressing like. 

20 minutes ago, GarryP said:

How about freedom of speech. Over the past year or two people have had to be much more careful in airing their views. At least in the west if you believe something is wrong, you have the freedom to say so, without worrying about repercussions because there aren't any. 

I live and work here, and it certainly affects me as I have  opinions I would like to freely express, but have to stay schtum, except with a close group of colleagues with similar views. 

This lot are also <deleted> up the country and since this is my home, it is of great concern to me.  

good response and I see where your coming from. At least you offered a reason instead of just mud slinging because the Military is in charge.  I don't hold the free speech drawback as a deal breaker as it doesn't affect me day to day in the slightest.  I am happy to have someone in control as it ensures stability and security without lawlessness.

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

good response and I see where your coming from. At least you offered a reason instead of just mud slinging because the Military is in charge.  I don't hold the free speech drawback as a deal breaker as it doesn't affect me day to day in the slightest.  I am happy to have someone in control as it ensures stability and security without lawlessness.

I'm alright Jack, and sod anyone rotting in prison for pressing like. 70 years?  Hey, that's ok cause it doesn't affect me.

I don't have to explain anything to you about my life. 

Even using his best bullying skills PM Prayut can't control anything even his own subordinates. They are each out for what they can get and selfishly pulling in different directions for their own benefit and ego rather than working together as a team in the best interests of the country. The sign of a poor leader is one who cannot keep his troops in order.

The only people he seems to have some sort of unhealthy control over lately is the hip thrusting Lamyai and the media.

Again ....  please explain how it affects your everyday life from morning till night .. ?

I found martial law, curfews, and military roadblocks inconvenient and extremely boring.  I was lucky, the early curfews cost a lot of restaurants money and workers were temporarily out of work.  I also find censorship and the idea of a military deposing an elected government offensive.

Democracy in the west is imperfect and there is corruption in all societies, however nothing on the scale of Thailand exists in democratic first world countries.  There is murder in all societies as well, does that mean it should be tolerated? 

How did democracy terribly inconvenience and offend you?

4 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

I don't have to explain anything to you about my life. 

Even using his best bullying skills PM Prayut can't control anything even his own subordinates. They are each out for what they can get and selfishly pulling in different directions for their own benefit and ego rather than working together as a team in the best interests of the country. The sign of a poor leader is one who cannot keep his troops in order.

The only people he seems to have some sort of unhealthy control over lately is the hip thrusting Lamyai and the media.

True, but even that wont last.  Once she thinks the coast is clear and his attention is focused on some other trivial matter, I reckon she'll work up the courage to go back to the 9 thrusts... maybe even 10, just to be cheeky.

4 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I found martial law, curfews, and military roadblocks inconvenient and extremely boring.  I was lucky, the early curfews cost a lot of restaurants money and workers were temporarily out of work.  I also find censorship and the idea of a military deposing an elected government offensive.

Democracy in the west is imperfect and there is corruption in all societies, however nothing on the scale of Thailand exists in democratic first world countries.  There is murder in all societies as well, does that mean it should be tolerated? 

How did democracy terribly inconvenience and offend you?

Depends on what scale you are using, I would say that corruption in dollars per citizen, the west is way more corrupt than Thailand.

Nothing wrong with Thailand. It's fine. However some don't like it because they can't express their opinion. That's sad ....   but it's not the worse thing in the world to ever happen and I don't think many thais will lose sleep over it ....  farangs maybe ... but that's how it is and for the better. As mentioned by many, you make your own choice where to live. :shock1:

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Nothing wrong with Thailand. It's fine. However some don't like it because they can't express their opinion. That's sad ....   but it's not the worse thing in the world to ever happen and I don't think many thais will lose sleep over it ....  farangs maybe ... but that's how it is and for the better. As mentioned by many, you make your own choice where to live. :shock1:

Too bad the Thais currently rotting in prison for speech-crime didn't have that option.

44 minutes ago, steven100 said:

good response and I see where your coming from. At least you offered a reason instead of just mud slinging because the Military is in charge.  I don't hold the free speech drawback as a deal breaker as it doesn't affect me day to day in the slightest.

Of course it doesn't, given you are on the side of those suppressing it.

21 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Depends on what scale you are using, I would say that corruption in dollars per citizen, the west is way more corrupt than Thailand.

I find that hard to believe. But then I suppose it depends on your interpretation of corruption. Would you include the lobby industry in the US for example.