Australian dies of rare mosquito-borne disease after visiting Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Australian dies of rare mosquito-borne disease after visiting Thailand

An Australian man returned from Thailand has died from the rare but potentially fatal mosquito-borne disease, Japanese encephalitis.

It is understood to be only the 10th case of the disease recorded in Australia since 2001 and one of only a handful of deaths in that time, although Japanese encephalitis is endemic in South-East Asia, where it is most commonly found in rural or farming areas.

The Victorian man in his 60s had visited Phuket for 10 days in early May and became lethargic on day eight.

After returning home he struggled to stay awake and went to hospital a few days later in a confused state

Full story: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-21/australian-man-dies-after-returning-from-thailand/8639620

ABC Online -- 2017-06-21

It is some concern as to where he contracted this disease, since he only stayed in Phuket.

Japanese Encephalitis is usually only found in rural/remote areas of south-east Asia (I now live in Myanmar and will have a JE vaccination in a few weeks because I travel to remote areas in that country).

RIP to this man - very unfortunate indeed.

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

It is some concern as to where he contracted this disease, since he only stayed in Phuket.

Japanese Encephalitis is usually only found in rural/remote areas of south-east Asia (I now live in Myanmar and will have a JE vaccination in a few weeks because I travel to remote areas in that country).

RIP to this man - very unfortunate indeed.

A man from a family I know from the same village I came from back home was here in Phuket on a 3 week holiday for more than 12 years ago, stayed at a beach hotel in Karon and was barely elsewhere. He got deadly sick of JPE here and the hospitals here could not find out what he suffered from and if he had not had family with him who helped him home he had been dead now.

Speaking from a position of total medical ignorance, JE vaccination is not usually on the list of required jabs for those who visit the main tourist areas of Thailand.  It is found in very rural areas, on pig farms as well (so a holiday in the deep south might be in order - LoL).

1 hour ago, mwbrown said:

I got the full set of shots before I moved here but decided against the Japanese Encephalitis, due to its rarity and the cost was over USD $500!

Do you know how much it will.cost for the shot here in Thailand? 

19 hours ago, kkerry said:

Why would all Australians need to be vaccinated for JEP?

Back when people died from it so they put it on the mandatory vaccine list. Australasia is at risk and if you have the bad misfortune to contract it the prognosis is not good.

immunise.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/Handbook10-home~handbook10part4~handbook10-4-8

Japanese encephalitis (JE), is an infection of the brain caused by the mosquito-borne Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV).

Edited by Minnie the Minx

I had a fourteen year old friend in high school die from it, scary really and she never set foot outside of Oz or come in contact with anyone who traveled to high risk areas.

I would definitely put it on my list if you haven't had the shots.

4 hours ago, mwbrown said:

I got the full set of shots before I moved here but decided against the Japanese Encephalitis, due to its rarity and the cost was over USD $500!

£90 in the UK.

Quinine in any form has no effect on JBE.

And the vaccine is effective.

Pigs are the usual resevoir so it is usually transmitted in rural ateas but need not be remote ones. Just need to have pigs somewhere about.

In addition to death it can cause permanent brain damage in survivors. A diseade well worth avoiding.

3 hours ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Back when people died from it so they put it on the mandatory vaccine list. Australasia is at risk and if you have the bad misfortune to contract it the prognosis is not good.

immunise.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/Handbook10-home~handbook10part4~handbook10-4-8

Japanese encephalitis (JE), is an infection of the brain caused by the mosquito-borne Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV).

Your Australian Government link doesn't state mandatory for all Australians, it's not how I read it anyway... 4.8.7 only recommends for travellers, lab workers and in the Torres Straits.

For travellers it says really only required if you spend extended time in rural areas during the wet season.

Generally the risk is stated as less than one case per million travellers to JE endemic countries.

The reason this is in the news is because it is so rare.

Nothing wrong with getting it if you're concerned, but personally I would get Twinrix (hepatitis A+B) and rabies vax, ahead of JE, unless I was expecting to be in the countryside a lot during the wet season.