Best value pick up to buy new now?

Any advice would be appreciated re buying a new automatic  2 or 4 door pick up Isuzu or Toyota [as not interested in Ford/Mitsubishi/Nissan as poor service IMHO]?

Are there any new models due soon which would depreciate the current models?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets' short-circuit this debate even more than the OP's already stated purge of arguably more desirable vehicles.

In order of quality of service and warranty repair issues.

Toyota.

Isuzu.

In order of resale value regardless of 'new' model of the same marque coming out.

Toyota.

Isuzu.

I mean based on the self-inflicted 2-horse race, why bother with anything else?

Best? Hilux

Worst? BT-50. I took a HUGE hit when I sold it after two years. Absolutely brilliant truck and probably the best in the 2014 class but the resale is terrible because of it's polarizing design language. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew I was leaving after two years.

A dealer said vehicles drop 100,000 in value every year... I laughed and said that I should have got a nine year old truck for free.

Any advice would be appreciated re buying a new automatic  2 or 4 door pick up Isuzu or Toyota [as not interested in Ford/Mitsubishi/Nissan as poor service IMHO]?
Are there any new models due soon which would depreciate the current models?

Is you 'honest opinion' based on any reality or just on what a few sheeple keep regurgitating on this forum?

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

4 hours ago, kannot said:

i  like  the  tritons 180hp,  blows  tuthers  away at  the  best  price.............is service  really  that  bad  though?

I have a 2014 Triton, the service has been impeccable, so don't know where you got the bad service info.

There all the same to me like the SUVs, there's no bad ones anymore,just some have abismal Service reputation. I take them for service for folks who work, I'd say Toyo and Nissan are the most switched on.Ford are real dopes locally.Value?.Toyota by 3as Drag Racers say.?[emoji594]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 hours ago, Skyboogie said:

Best? Hilux

Worst? BT-50. I took a HUGE hit when I sold it after two years. Absolutely brilliant truck and probably the best in the 2014 class but the resale is terrible because of it's polarizing design language. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew I was leaving after two years.

A dealer said vehicles drop 100,000 in value every year... I laughed and said that I should have got a nine year old truck for free.

I just bought a BT50 and it is a great truck. Great VFM also. Not too bothered about resale value as it has been bought for the long haul. Hilux is a joke. 15 year old technology living off past glories and overly priced at that. The Isuzu doesn't cut it in the safety department.

I'm amazed at how many BT50s I have seen now that we have bought ours (her's really). It is not the pretties looker.

I would advise the OP to get on Youtube and watch autoexpert.com.au review of which pick up to buy. It is a little bit out of date now but if he does some research into any newly released models it should give him a good idea.

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Is it the 3.2. ?

We got the top of the range 2.2. I had all intensions of getting the 3.2 with the 4x4 and all the bells and whistles but after test driving and thinking a bit more I realised that the 4x4 would likely never be needed. The truck will only be used for transporting friends and family and some shopping so the top 2.2 double cab gives us everything we need. Comes with leather seats, sat nav, reversing camera etc. and is a good bit cheaper. Had to pay extra for auto as she can't drive manual. I gave her plenty of "stick" about that. :smile:

5 minutes ago, MW72 said:

We got the top of the range 2.2. I had all intensions of getting the 3.2 with the 4x4 and all the bells and whistles but after test driving and thinking a bit more I realised that the 4x4 would likely never be needed. The truck will only be used for transporting friends and family and some shopping so the top 2.2 double cab gives us everything we need. Comes with leather seats, sat nav, reversing camera etc. and is a good bit cheaper. Had to pay extra for auto as she can't drive manual. I gave her plenty of "stick" about that. :smile:

I had the 3.2 and can confirm it was unnecessary. 

5 minutes ago, Skyboogie said:

I had the 3.2 and can confirm it was unnecessary. 

I wouldn't say unnecessary because it depends where you live in Thailand.

Used mine most of the time and 4 times helping people stuck. :smile:

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I wouldn't say unnecessary because it depends where you live in Thailand.

Used mine most of the time and 4 times helping people stuck. :smile:

Sounds fun! Sadly no opportunities like that on Sukhumvit.

Probably best to tour the dealerships, checkout prices and specs, and buy the one you like. Have had an Isuzu and a Mitsu and the Mitsu is miles better. Better engineering and design.

Isuzu engines sound like a bag of nails after a while and my 11 year mitsu is like new. 

You also need to think about the cab you want and whether you want low down or higher suspension. I went for the lower suspension as its much more comfortable on long distance dual carriageway high speed drives. Raised suspension will mean you bounce around more and your passengers are more likely to get car sick. Could have done with the 4wd a couple of times, but you can always take a tow cable and there is always someone to tow you out! Also have the double cab; better if you have kids or expect to carry 4 people regularly. 

Lower spec Toyotas are lousy; if you want a lower spec you will get more for your money from the other brands.

Shop around and get the best deal for your money!

4 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Is you 'honest opinion' based on any reality or just on what a few sheeple keep regurgitating on this forum?

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

We forgive you...........great.gif.ca61a718e519856a92a9dd5f2a7abd9a.gif

BT50 Now 295,000 on the clock. After 150,000 just changed the oil/filters every 10,000

All the oils once a year, only had to get some pressure/vacuum thingy changed on the engine last year. It ate the battery twice and now on third, maybe because someone sitting not a thousand miles away from me now left lights on.

No complaints over 5/6 years.

Resale, don't care.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

There many 2.2 trucks about in our village now l've noticed but all Fords. :smile:

Stands to reason when you consider the current T6/PX model which was released at the 2010 Bangkok motor show to pretty much universal adulation and despite the waiting lists on first deliveries in 2011, the odd but inexcusable fumble by Ford Thailand when it came to early major warranty claims, the model and after-sales service has had a steadily improving run especially since the mid-2015 makeover. The 2018 major rejig and extended release in new markets including China and the US promises much more. But I digress...

Has the OP come back with an opinion yet? Or has he gone and bought one already?

7 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

My logic and pocket book want the Toyota for resale and availability of service. But I made the mistake of driving the Ranger and my heart wants the Ranger no doubt about it. Still deciding. 

You only live once. Oh, unless you're a Buddhist.

There many 2.2 trucks about in our village now l've noticed but all Fords. :smile:

Apparently the ranger and the bt50 share the same platform and drive train. I chose the bt50 as i don't fancy dealing with ford.

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have a 2014 Triton, the service has been impeccable, so don't know where you got the bad service info.

op stated  that not  me , Ive neve r owned a mitsubishi but maybe next time

2 hours ago, MW72 said:

Apparently the ranger and the bt50 share the same platform and drive train. I chose the bt50 as i don't fancy dealing with ford.

Dealership here is good by all accounts l guess if dealerships of any make in an area don't perform owners have problems. 

Archived