Best value pick up to buy new now?

41 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Dealership here is good by all accounts l guess if dealerships of any make in an area don't perform owners have problems. 

Yes. If I lived in Phuket, I would not buy a Ford of any sort. Plenty stories of how totally rubbish they are down south.

Then again, if I got a wild hair up my ass and wanted to move to Phuket, I would hope someone would shoot me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Then again, if I got a wild hair up my ass and wanted to move to Phuket, I would hope someone would shoot me.

I do not like what Phuket has become but there must some places there that are OK.

15 hours ago, MW72 said:

Apparently the ranger and the bt50 share the same platform and drive train. I chose the bt50 as i don't fancy dealing with ford.

The big differemces are some fancier lights wheels and engine management system.

I think.

Maybe I think too mutt.

???

Funny some said the Ford service is bad, I must had missed something since we took ownership of our 2.2WT in 2013 & service had been very good here in Pattaya, hmm.

Truck has been excellent too, very happy with it.

Maybe keep if until it's 7-8 years old,then you don't get hit so bad when selling it, but I might keep it longer than that, haven't decided yet.

Well above is off topic since OP wants a Toyota or Isuzu, up to him. 

I see these threads appear ever so often with the predictable quibbling.

IMO the truth of the matter is that the level of technology is such that all Pickup trucks are pretty much of equal quality.

Some do this better but that worst others do this worst but that better. 

Go look at them all and see what tickles your fancy.

I Had a Chevy Colorado that I sold when I came back to the US to work and knew WE  would be away from Thailand for the better part of a year for  a few years . 

Still sorry I did, since we rent every year I come there and by now I have spend more in rentals than I  got from selling it.

Never had a problem, so not sure of the quality of service as I only used dealer service for scheduled maintenance.

The resale issue is a red hearing. Maybe I got less when I sold it but I paid less when I bought it , personally I would rather pay less and get less, a wash situation from an investment POV than pay more and hope to get more if I ever sold it.

Mazda BT50 or ford ranger ( basically the same car) I got the 2015 3.2 diesel 4x4 and been everywhere in it (Laos) Had a 2" suspension lift and fitted 33" mud tyres. Nice to know you can travel anywhere you want with peace of mind.

9 hours ago, lovelaos said:

Mazda BT50 or ford ranger ( basically the same car) I got the 2015 3.2 diesel 4x4 and been everywhere in it (Laos) Had a 2" suspension lift and fitted 33" mud tyres. Nice to know you can travel anywhere you want with peace of mind.

Not driven the one with the Ford badge but the one with the Mazda badge, BT50, has the turning circle of the QE2.

It's the only thing I don't like about it but you get used to it.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Not driven the one with the Ford badge but the one with the Mazda badge, BT50, has the turning circle of the QE2.

It's the only thing I don't like about it but you get used to it.

Turning circle on thecEverest is good ..my not be applicable though .... just buy the truck you want ...why have buyers remorse from trying to do a cheapee

7 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Turning circle on thecEverest is good ..my not be applicable though .... just buy the truck you want ...why have buyers remorse from trying to do a cheapee

It is the only thing I dont like about it. Happy with everything else.

A pick up is just a tool used to move things about and only there to save wear and tear on the cars.

16 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It is the only thing I dont like about it. Happy with everything else.

A pick up is just a tool used to move things about and only there to save wear and tear on the cars.

A pickup can be your only means of transport, and the most practical one in a lot of circumstances.

On 6/24/2017 at 8:06 AM, transam said:

Was told    Chevrolet is actually an Isuzu !

In what way...? he asked.

I remember being told by UK engineers that Isuzu engines were reliable but were behind Toyota in development and Toyota had been making bullet proof engines a long time.

The Isuzu D-Max pick-up manufactured since 2002 shares the same platform with several General motors mid-size trucks in the United States such as the Chevrolet Colorado.

Isuzu diesel engines are used by dozens of manufacturers, to include Ford,  Renault & Nissan. 

Isuzu were going put 1.6 diesel engine in Toyota vehicles but the deal flopped.

After a lot of research we were still undecided which pick up to get. Lots of different views from family. In the end we went for what we wanted not what was cheapest on the basis that we would be keeping it till it disintegrated. So even though it's not as pretty as other trucks we went for the Revo and got to say I don't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, chezy86 said:

After a lot of research we were still undecided which pick up to get. Lots of different views from family. In the end we went for what we wanted not what was cheapest on the basis that we would be keeping it till it disintegrated. So even though it's not as pretty as other trucks we went for the Revo and got to say I don't regret it.

Well trucks Thailand now pretty much the same so you buy what you like the look of IMO and take the best deal offered by dealer franchise's where you live.

Many Ford 2.2 here 599,000 baht.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

A chap near us just bought a new Revo TuRD with every stick-on bit of kit known to man on it. God, it's hideous! At least all the windows are tinted.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

In all honesty I've seen  a few pick ups with 4WD/FWD decals applied by suppliers that are bog standard rear wheel drive only.

I stuck one on the tail gate, folk behind don't like it if they ain't got a 4x4........sad-face.gif.47850c285f490634ea469c74c77c1f62.gif

Coming up to 6 years with the old Ford Ranger, just fitted new tires. Its rock solid, as are all trucks here.

Plan to, and have no worries about, keep this truck for another 5 or 6 years. At that point, resale will be under 200,000B. If I'd bought a Toyota, it might be 40,000B more, at 3000B a year resale value becomes irrelevant. My next truck will be a Ford, but a 4 door next time, bloody kids.

A chap near us just bought a new Revo TuRD with every stick-on bit of kit known to man on it. God, it's hideous! At least all the windows are tinted.

Well I'm past the stage where I buy a vehicle for its looks and street cred,I based my decision on reliability and build quality,and after watching top gear try to destroy a Hilux and fail even Thai roads should pose little issue (I hope) [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well I'm past the stage where I buy a vehicle for its looks and street cred,I based my decision on reliability and build quality,and after watching top gear try to destroy a Hilux and fail even Thai roads should pose little issue (I hope) [emoji12]

So, you bought a 25 year old Hilux?

40 minutes ago, chezy86 said:

Original poster should have known better than ask an opinion on here for a serious reply haha wet mi pants I laughed that much (not)

There are the odd few who mess things up, but on the whole there is a lot of good input from many. Some of us even do Net searches to try and dig out an answer to help....great.gif.76dc7e827ed58fcc363a252e9e52c9a1.gif

On 7/2/2017 at 1:22 PM, chezy86 said:

Well I'm past the stage where I buy a vehicle for its looks and street cred,I based my decision on reliability and build quality,and after watching top gear try to destroy a Hilux and fail even Thai roads should pose little issue (I hope) emoji12.png

What do you think would happen if they tried to destroy a new Revo? Pickup trucks have gotten a lot more refined and are certainly not as tough as in the past. Some people have incredible brand loyalty. I have no brand loyalty. Years ago the company I worked for bought me a new Isuzu. It idled rough and the fenders shook at stop lights. I swore I would never buy an Isuzu. Things change. I now have an Isuzu V-Cross. That rough idling noisy engine is history. At highway speed, you cannot even hear the engine. When I was shopping for a new truck, I test drove many of what was available. The Isuzu was a major surprise, quiet, tight and a decent ride. I was really wanting a Toyota but the price and dealer irritated me. I went directly back to Isuzu and ordered exactly what I wanted. Isuzu gave me more truck for the baht. No regrets here.

Archived