Actor Johnny Depp apologised for 'poor taste' Trump assassination joke

rooster59

I beg to disagree, why make it at all?

Makes no difference who you support it's a tad crass. Try making the same 'joke' about other presidents or heads of state and see where that one leads.

Get invited to trump's white house. Ask Nugent.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under the United States Code (Title 18, Section 871), threatening the US president is a class E felony. Anyone who "knowingly and wilfully" makes "any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm" upon the US president could be sentenced to up five years and/or be fined. It also includes the vice-president and presidential candidates.

Lock Depp up, no one will miss him.

Under the United States Code (Title 18, Section 871), threatening the US president is a class E felony. Anyone who "knowingly and wilfully" makes "any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm" upon the US president could be sentenced to up five years and/or be fined. It also includes the vice-president and presidential candidates.

Lock Depp up, no one will miss him.

You're tripping.

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes. trump certainly does and so does the planet thanks for him.

...and you are one to judge here, of course, not in line with the topic, which as you can read the OP, this is about Depp making inappropriate comments.

I'm rather disappointed from a person with 79 000 posts something. Cheers. 

Edited by Minnie the Minx

Could be Depp thought his little joke would be found amusing by more people because trump is so horrifically bad. Get real here. trump just backed off from the Paris climate agreement. Depp made a poor joke. The actual real problem for the world is trump. Depp is a fake problem except for himself and his associates.

My post count is irrelevant. Don't bring it up again.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Could be Depp thought his little joke would be found amusing by more people because trump is so horrifically bad. Get real here. trump just backed off from the Paris climate agreement. Depp made a poor joke. The actual real problem for the world is trump. Depp is a fake problem except for himself and his associates.

My post count is irrelevant. Don't bring it up again.

This is not an OP to comment on Trump Mr 79,009 posts as such this conversation I shall abstain from.

Please use your cognitive skills and ascertain what this is about.

Thank you in advance and do not derail this topic.

Bashing Trump and various other comments you are out of line 79,009 posts .

So it's about bashing Depp then is it? The target of Depps verbage was indeed trump. I think trump is part of this story. trump did too. He tweeted about Depp.

Not at all Mr 79, 009 posts. As you can clearly read the OP ( opening post), now do go back and read it again please. 

I'm rather aghast at such a lack of comprehension here. 

I suggest you stay off whatever you are on....scary.

9 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

How do Trumps lies affects someone who lives in Thailand is a mystery to me.

But never mind, it is clear that you are a Hilary boy

That and many other things I am sure.

As leader of the free world, and Thailand being in the world.......

Not at all Mr 79, 009 posts. As you can clearly read the OP ( opening post), now do go back and read it again please. 

I'm rather aghast at such a lack of comprehension here. 

I suggest you stay off whatever you are on....scary.

You're not aghast. The topic isn't about me or my post count.

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'm still waiting for those actors and other known personalities to get and leave the USA as they promised they would if Trump wins.. what? change of hearts? if your words meant nothing than, why should

anyone pay attention to what you say now?....

If you have a list, email them

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

he pondered how long it had been since an actor had killed a U.S. president.

Take it easy everybody.  First, it's a question, and there was no threat or indication of a threat.  I'm sure it's been searched for on the internet more than once.  Everyone is too bored, and yes he probably was drunk.

When did politicians become so thin-skinned?

An actor (Depp) making a joke referencing a US president being shot by an actor (Booth) in 1865.  What! - too soon?

Personally, I thought it was quite clever and not at all offensive. Depp wasn't encouraging anyone to kill Trump, and Trump is still alive and well - so no harm done.

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

When did politicians become so thin-skinned?

An actor (Depp) making a joke referencing a US president being shot by an actor (Booth) in 1865.  What! - too soon?

Personally, I thought it was quite clever and not at all offensive. Depp wasn't encouraging anyone to kill Trump, and Trump is still alive and well - so no harm done.

Yes, there are zero grounds for any legal charges against Depp about this.

But the reason I think all anti-trumpists should refrain from going even close to talking about violence (much less doing it) is that it feeds into trumpist propaganda. trump is in the process of destroying all democratic norms in the U.S. and also killing the new deal from FDR as well. The trumpists use any real or rhetorical "leftist" violence to try to demonize all opposition to trump. We saw that in the recent Georgia special election. There were actually attack ads directly linking the democrat to violence. Fake of course, but we're dealing with very brutal operators. So  bottom line, joke or no joke, as I'm assuming Depp is correctly anti-trumpist, his little joke did NOT help the cause. 

Similar to the Griffin head thing. I expect the trumpists to use that image against anti-trumpists for many years to come. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, there are zero grounds for any legal charges against Depp about this.

But the reason I think all anti-trumpists should refrain from going even close to talking about violence (much less doing it) is that it feeds into trumpist propaganda. trump is in the process of destroying of massive destruction of all democratic norms in the U.S. and also killing the new deal from FDR as well. The trumpists use any real or rhetoric "leftist" violence to try to demonize all opposition to trump. We saw that in the recent Georgia special election. There were actually attack ads directly linking the democrat to violence. Fake of course, but we're dealing with very brutal operators. So  bottom line joke or no joke, I'm assuming Depp is correctly anti-trumpist and his little joke did NOT help the cause. 

I am British and have a limited knowledge of US politics. I don't have a horse in this race, but I understand what you are saying.

We Brits are quite used to hearing all sorts of jokes and cruel satire regarding our politicians (of all colours). For example - we still joke about the 1605 plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament (even celebrate the event every year).

IMHO Politicians gain most respect when they have a smart comeback. Here is an example (though it's verity is disputed) ...

Nancy Astor, Britain's first female MP, told Sir Winston Churchill that: "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee," Churchill famously replied: "Nancy, if I were your husband I would drink it."

If only President Trump had that sort of wit.

16 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Another low life, drunk, druggie.  He

should be considered a B list actor at

best...Hollywood Trash?

In one breathe I agree with you. But mostly I don't.

Some of the worlds best works of painting art, musical composing and stage and film acting has been

performed by addicts, mentally disturbed, drunks, egoists and depression afflicted.

Nearly all artists are afflicted in some way, and we should be grateful for their alternate talent

To suggest an assassination goes beyond the norm. He lost his lines somewhere, needs to go back to acting school

and not think he is qualified for world events chatting.  Even more so so when he is stoned out of his tiny mind.

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

pondered how long it had been since an actor had killed a U.S. president.

Actually  it has being 152 years one month  and 24 days

But who is counting :tongue:

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"President Trump has condemned violence in all forms and it's sad that others like Johnny Depp have not followed his lead," the White House said in a statement.

Trump on terorists families :"With the terrorists, you have to take out their families, "

Trump on protester:  "I'd like to punch him in the face'   "

Trump told a crowd of supporters that if they happened to see protesters getting ready to lob a tomato,:  "knock the crap out of them  "