Turnaround time at London Embassy for Tourist Visa?

I always admire those who trust their passports to travel by post!!.....

No matter in which country of the world, if one can,  of course,  make it a point to give and pick up your passport personnaly and avoid having it travelling by mail!!..

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Done it myself several times without a problem. And it was not entirely to get visas for Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

No matter in which country of the world, if one can,  of course,  make it a point to give and pick up your passport personnaly and avoid having it travelling by mail!!..

Certainly, my preference for an SETV would normally be to make an appointment with an honorary consulate, and get the visa while I wait. Unfortunately, with most visa types, that is no longer an option, and risking the post may be the pragmatic solution.

Not too recent, but in January, I sent mine by Royal Mail Special Delivery on the Monday and got the PP back, also SD on the Thursday. I had included a prepaid SD envelope in with the original application although one can just send an extra £10 as per the website instructions

Doing in person is no longer an option for me now that all visa applications have to go to London. 

I've sent my passport by mail to various embassies and other things over the years and thankfully no issues so far (touch wood).

Thanks for the advice ubonjoe.

Edited by TheSpade

On 6/25/2017 at 6:40 PM, observer90210 said:

Ridiculous statement, visa applications by post are to be done by Royal Mail Special Delivery, probably safer than being in your pocket.

19 hours ago, TheSpade said:

Doing in person is no longer an option for me now that all visa applications have to go to London. 

I've sent my passport by mail to various embassies and other things over the years and thankfully no issues so far (touch wood).

Thanks for the advice ubonjoe.

Before I came hear I did many visa applications by post, all very quick and efficient. I will have to do another when I go to the UK next month to come back and going to the embassy would mean 2 days of hassle and about £300 in costs apart from the visa. The website says that postal applications are only available to permanent UK residents so I emailed the embassy and they agreed to accept the application by post.

If you send your application by special delivery which I did less than 2 weeks ago it will be returned to you within a week. The last 2 times that I have done this I sent my application in on a Monday and I had my passport and visa returned to me on the Saturday.

Very good service imo.