Bank teller charged with theft after 80,000 baht deposited and 40,000 baht recorded case

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wvavin said:

I would not say that the bank teller was totally wrong unless the authority can prove their case beyond reasonable doubt because there is a possibility of an innocent mistake.

Daily till check would have shown B40,000 excess if not removed.

4 hours ago, thaifan01 said:

Nothing is wrong with this story, as u can see on the receipt in the article above, the teller gave a receipt of a deposit of 40,000 - not 80,000.

So the employee from the pet shop should have noticed this at the beginning of course. But obviously he was stressed or his brain didnt work well that day - who knows...

Moral of the story? ALWAYS CHECK YOUR RECEIPT - EVEN WHEN YOU ARE IN THAILAND  :smile:

Then there is the possibility the pet employee only deposited 40k. 

I always use CDM's when I deposit to my Thai account. Never had a problem

30 minutes ago, nasanews said:

This story is strange because every time a deposit made to customer bank account sms message text is sent right away to account holder's mobile.

Only if you sign up for the service and pay the monthly sms fee.

moral: if you own a business, deposit your cash yourself.   Maybe pet shop  employee & teller were working together?

On 06/19/2017 at 1:34 PM, johnc925 said:

cool.. that list I sent you should help.. enjoy Thailand

On 06/22/2017 at 7:22 AM, friendphil said:

Is this to secure your future in the case you have none? 

On 06/22/2017 at 2:36 AM, observer90210 said:

Always switch on the CCTV in your homes when bringing in "friendly guests", and make sure the footage is secured online for later recovery if necessary!

And inform any trustworthy person where the footage is, that can hopefully would never be needed!

Requiescat in pace ©

8 hours ago, RichCor said:

Usually I have to 'declare' the amount I'm depositing by filling out a deposit slip and the teller verifies the written amount matches the actual amount before crediting the account.  Did that not happen here?

Not sure if you've noticed, but Thai banks don't seem to work like banks in the rest of the world.

Sometimes I wonder if some Thai bank 'managers' even knows how many employees they have.

N.B.

Initially the branch would not entertain the complaints of the customer.

This case has only moved forward because the customer made the effort to involve the Damrongtham Centre who in turn got the police involved.

The initial Kasikorn attitude was, "Go away".

Not trying to play the devils advocate but the other possibility is that the shop employee took it.  Depends which one had a debt problem at the time and how good the in bank video is.  I wonder if it shows that the Teller handed the book back closed, and the shop girl never looked???

1 hour ago, rapom said:

Only if you sign up for the service and pay the monthly sms fee.

Yes it is not free.

Every time money goes in and out of my account I receive sms notification on my mobile so, I am totally aware of my money status.

I would worry a lot If I do not have this service.

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I asked the manager if there was a way to avoid the police, but make sure this woman could never work in a bank again.  She said there was.  I told her I would be happy with that.  She assured me it would be handled immediately. Meanwhile, the young woman was fired and told to get out of the bank immediately.  My wife said I am too "kind hearted" and should have had her arrested. She's probably right, but destroying her future as a bank employee was good enough for me.

Sorry to say, but I think you're a soft-hearted sucker... Sure, the bank will take care of your thieving teller.

Some day down the road, you'll probably go back into the same branch and discover that your teller woman has been promoted to branch manager. After all, she was certainly showing the kind of initiative that's valued here.

3 hours ago, wvavin said:

I would not say that the bank teller was totally wrong unless the authority can prove their case beyond reasonable doubt because there is a possibility of an innocent mistake.

Yes, like the unfortunately fellows who accidently attacked an ATM with an oxy acetylene torch while wearing balaclavas.

6 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Yes, like the unfortunately fellows who accidently attacked an ATM with an oxy acetylene torch while wearing balaclavas.

Why concentrate on the petty stuff. KTB has the distinction of having a whole batch of senior management in jail after they approved (on Thaksin's orders) a B1 billion loan to a company that immediately went under. Defendant #1 has a jail sentence waiting his return.

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Unless things have changed when you get a job as a bank teller in Thailand you have to deposit a considerable amount of money with the bank you work for and leave it on deposit there.  It is because you have access to such a large amount of cash and each teller is responsible for their till being correct.  My friend's wife works in a bank in Chiang Rai and that is what they had to do.  She also needed to have a university degree.  However that was ten years ago so it may have changed now.

Correct. I once dated a bank worker who told me the family had to guarantor her for 1m baht to get the job. Also a long time ago, so things may have changed.

Unbelievable to think she could get away with it. Greed obviously trumps common sense in our beloved LOS.

speaking of cash deposits, here in the USA at Wells Fargo, if you go inside a branch there is NOT a paper slip to use.  You count out the money, give it to the teller and she comes back with xxxx amount.  What if her initial tally differs from what you thought or actually for sure did present?  Sure you get a deposit receipt, but the amounts may already have been messed up. 

11 hours ago, RichCor said:

As this is a She said vs she said accusation it should be impossible to adjudicate; unless the 'missing' money actually turned up somewhere.

True, were it not for the video recording of her separating the cash deposit into two equal bundles, then putting one "safely" away in a drawer...

1 hour ago, Foozool said:

This case could be resolved by the branch manager right at the spot. It was very obvious what had happened. 

This branch has problems. Something is not right. 

Prob in partnership with her Manger showed her all the tricks

The teller/bank made the first mistake by failing to immediately reject the deposit slip, whereupon the customer had clearly written "80,000".  The second mistake was made by the customer, who apparently walked away without checking the deposit slip to see the teller had keyed in 40,000.

Penalty: bank.

Edited by attrayant