Trump says Supreme Court decision on travel ban "a clear victory"

webfact

Trump says Supreme Court decision on travel ban "a clear victory"

tag-reuters-1.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump holds up a pen after signing the “VA Accountability Act” in the East Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., June 23, 2017. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump praised the Supreme Court's decision on Monday to review the legality of his temporary ban on travelers from six Muslim-majority countries and all refugees, and to allow it to be partly implemented in the meantime.

"Today's unanimous Supreme Court decision is a clear victory for our national security," Trump said in a statement released by the White House, adding: "Today's ruling allows me to use an important tool for protecting our Nation's homeland." 

(Reporting by Tim Ahmann and Susan Heavey)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-27

I am not sure this is a clear victory since it is well within the domain of the President to set out conditions for entry to the US.   As it stands, a person has to overcome the presumption that they will remain in the US and that is a pretty broad and subjective category.    Anyone from poorer countries trying to come to the US without a connection or reasonably good reason, will not be granted a visa.  

Basically, this is not a ban, but a tightening of the vetting process, as near as I can tell.  

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I am not sure this is a clear victory since it is well within the domain of the President to set out conditions for entry to the US.   As it stands, a person has to overcome the presumption that they will remain in the US and that is a pretty broad and subjective category.    Anyone from poorer countries trying to come to the US without a connection or reasonably good reason, will not be granted a visa.  

Basically, this is not a ban, but a tightening of the vetting process, as near as I can tell.  

I agree totally with that. Donald is grasping at straws if he feels this is a victory. They have allowed about the smallest part of the bill through possible, with the rest to be reviewed in a few months, which has obviously been rejected for now. Calling it a victory is like a team beaten 10-1, saying they scored the best goal of the match. Donald, it's called a consolation prize.

4 hours ago, Scott said:

I agree with you that it is within his domain, as clearly shown when Obama used the exact same power before to ban travel from certain countries for 6 months. But the issue going to be addressed by SCOTUS is was the denial of that same order issued by Trump by a lower (liberal) court valid. Certainly Trump has not 'won', but clearly this decision by SCOTUS will decide who has the power to decide policy on who can enter the USA - the POTUS or the Hawaii/CA Lower Courts. 

1 minute ago, ELVIS123456 said:

I agree with you that it is within his domain, as clearly shown when Obama used the exact same power before to ban travel from certain countries for 6 months. But the issue going to be addressed by SCOTUS is was the denial of that same order issued by Trump by a lower (liberal) court valid. Certainly Trump has not 'won', but clearly this decision by SCOTUS will decide who has the power to decide policy on who can enter the USA - the POTUS or the Hawaii/CA Lower Courts. 

No, the Supreme Court will only be looking at the constitutional issue.  

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

So the old adage of  'if you don't succeed at first, try and try again' worked for Trump this time....

Can you explain how it has 'worked'?

The supreme court has also just agreed to review the decision of the man that would not sell a wedding cake for a gay marriage. Is that a 'clear victory' for the gay marriage lobby or would they be better advised to wait for the supreme courts decision before they start to celebrate. Trump is once again trying to use social media and his inept press department to influence the thinking of the Judges.

IMO, Trump wasn't/isn't wrong on the intent, in broad strokes. 

He screws himself when he opens his mouth and stuff  falls out.  If he was a thoughtful, well spoken person and hadn't blathered about "Banning Muslims", most of this time wasting drama could have been avoided.  Boasting about "victory" just makes him look like an idiot.  I don't think he's capable of critical self-analysis.

Well, this will certainly stop all those pesky tourists from these 6 countries from visiting the USA. Maybe this will send a message to all those Muslim tourists to go spend their money elsewhere. The USA doesn't need your damn cash! Never mind those Muslims that don't gamble (wink..wink) affecting Las Vegas.

Must be part of the "economic boom" that we keep hearing will happen. Not sure how preventing Muslim tourist dollars from entering the USA will increase the economy but I am sure there is a plan.

If it is a victory, it is a hollow one. Ever since 9/11 extreme vetting has been in place, for these nations, and many others. It was already extremely hard to get a visa for most from these nations, and the process took years. So, what has changed? Not something this administration wants to talk about. Nor most of his followers. 

Cheeto sure needs a victory. Hard for a man so accustomed to having his way, to suffer as much defeat as this guy has, in the past five months. Not exactly a great start.