Hua Hin plans comprehensive public transportation that will transform the resort town

Hua Hin plans comprehensive public transportation 

The Hua Hin Municipality is planning the development of city-wide public transportation to transform the resort town in the near future. 

If the comprehensive plans become a reality, residents and future tourists to the city, won't need a private car to travel around town. 

Panod Srisinsuphya has the story.

Hua Hin municipality doesn't have the intelligence to even manage a road system, water, and power reticulation, and as for traffic management...that's left to the local kindergarten.

I seriously doubt that a viable public transport system can emerge from the dolts that run this city. It'll be baht busses for the next 10 years!

How about giving exclusive transportation rights to a group of armed strongmen who can then operate taxis and baht busses with absurdly high fees to fleece tourists and locals?

That worked well in Phuket so why not in Hua Hin?

10 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

How about giving exclusive transportation rights to a group of armed strongmen who can then operate taxis and baht busses with absurdly high fees to fleece tourists and locals?

That worked well in Phuket so why not in Hua Hin?

They have nearly done that already.

The Airport link VIP buses were moved from the bus station in town to out near the airport. So now, you pay around 300 Baht to go from Swampy to Hua Hin, then the taxi mafia take over, and it can be another 300 to get into town !!!!

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

They have nearly done that already.

The Airport link VIP buses were moved from the bus station in town to out near the airport. So now, you pay around 300 Baht to go from Swampy to Hua Hin, then the taxi mafia take over, and it can be another 300 to get into town !!!!

they do have a free shuttle into town that goes to the clock tower. From there you can catch the baht bus. I could see how first time visitors would not use this option because they don't know what to expect on the other end.

Going to the new bus station from Hua Hin the baht bus head north and then u-turns back to the south about 200 meters south of the new bus station. It is OK if you can walk on the margin of the very busy highway and don't have a lot of luggage. :)

All they would have to do is extend the baht bus route to the next u-turn to the north to include the new bus station on the route.

I can get from my house in Khao Takiap four kilometers south of Hua Hin to the new bus station now located in the north end of town for 20 baht. But most tourist would not know how to do this or would be willing to walk 200 meters down the very busy highway.

12 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

All they would have to do is extend the baht bus route to the next u-turn to the north to include the new bus station on the route.

If the local taxi drivers had any say in it I would not be surprised if they specifically set it up so the baht bus terminates shy of the airport. That would surely keep the taxi drivers happy.

It seems to me that all public transport in Thailand is planned and executed to the betterment of TTS.

(Taxi, Tuktuk, Songtaew)

Those three keep many people in a job, but is not ideal for customers and environment. 

Sensibly, the minibus service to BKK and northern cities has now been moved out of the centre of HH town to a dedicated purpose-built bus station on Soi 51 so this helps relievesome of the congestion.

The proposed public transport system is known as Park and Ride in many other countries and is long overdue. The location of the proposed Southern terminus car-park is the Army NCO School on Phetchaburi Road, Nong Gae about  8kms south of the HH Tessaban crossroads. Since this is military land the local administration will have had to lever this from the military. Now I understand why the highway has been upgraded to four lane on most of the route.

I for one would use a Park and Ride service but trying to get out-of-town Thais out of their cars onto a bus? I wish them luck!

Presumably this will be a free service?

As an immediate improvement to movement  and safety in Hua HIn, it would be nice just initially to see the pavements for pedestrians levelled and tidied up.  Years have gone by and tourist money has been welcomed and swallowed up with very few infra structure changes being made as a result.   In view of this, I can envisage that the proposed plan for what Europeans refer to as a "Park and Ride" scheme will either never take place or take longer to implement than the proposed Bangkok to Hua Hin high speed railway.

As I am not Bill Gates, it is probably a waste of time to also refer to the unsightly and, in many cases, dangerous, low hanging electric cables and poor quality junction boxes in the town.

Although Hua Hin is supposed to be a tourist attraction, in no way can the appearance of the centre of the town be described as such.

It is a great pity, because I believe that the suggested improvement to the pavements would not cost too much. 

I was told a few days ago, by a woman operating a taxi in Hua Hin, that the minimum to go two blocks, was 100 baht, and the meters are never used. When you are told, that a city in Thailand is going to implement anything in the way of public transportation, one has to be very skeptical. It is just not something the Thais are very good at. Perhaps decades from now, they will get with it, and start to engage in some progressive thinking. For now, they are in nearly last place, within SE Asia, when it comes to progressive thinking, doing anything to benefit it's tourists, locals, or ex-pat community, or any sort of forward thinking. Nearly last. Perhaps only behind Laos and Burma? Maybe? 

Pattaya and parts of Bangkok, are the the only Thai cities I have been to, that operates anything approaching a fair, and reasonable public transportation system, with the use of the baht buses in Pattaya. They are cheap, reliable, and easy to use, as long as you are going somewhere on the route. Which is basically a circle. And of course the skytrain and subway in Bangkok, which are magnificent. 

Samui has never had anything fair or reasonable, and neither has Phuket, and Chiang Mai, to my knowledge. The southern islands are exorbitant to get around, if you do not have your own vehicle. Crazy, stupid, NY or London prices. 

15 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Hua Hinit's love  municipality doesn't have the intelligence to even manage a road system, water, and power reticulation, and as for traffic management...that's left to the local kindergarten.

I seriously doubt that a viable public transport system can emerge from the dolts that run this city. It'll be baht busses for the next 10 years!

Archived