Image of the United States has plunged under Trump, survey shows

webfact

1 minute ago, boomerangutang said:

I just looked at photo of Trump's visit to Paris to meet Macron.  There's a photo of the 2 men and their wives strolling.  It looks odd.  The wives are aloof/bored, and ARE WALKING ON COBBLESTONES IN STACCATO HIGH HEELS.  That's as practical as drinking soup with chopsticks.

For their part, the men look ok, but they're stuck in stiff business suits.  It's Nixonian.  If they want to connect with real people, they'd do well to dress in real people-type clothes; comfortable trousers, plaid shirts, comfortable shoes, etc. 

npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/14/537210524/macrons-strategy-for-trump-in-paris-long-handshakes-and-military-spectacles

I don't think the idea was to mix with people much, especially with trump there. Security. 

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Some real life consequences of electing an authoritarian clown as president --

http://www.businessinsider.com/trumps-rhetoric-hurt-us-tourism-and-retail-2017-5

Yes, great job Trump.  How many jobs have been lost because of this?  Lots.  From your link:

America's share of international tourism has dropped 16% in March, compared to the same month in 2016, according to Foursquare data released Wednesday. 

Foursquare estimates that the drop in international tourism could result in an additional 1% to 2% drop in sales at US shops, restaurants, and attractions. Hotels, with 15% of booking from foreign visitors, are expected to be hit even harder. 

Congrats to Trump! :bah:

9 hours ago, iReason said:

It's a certainty that the Special Counsel will have his crack team on all of the charges.

Stand by. True patriots are working on eradicating the rats from the White House. All of them.  :thumbsup:

Then, America will be great again.

It's too bad Special Counsel and his team are going to take soooooo long to publish findings.  It's understandable, because there's such haystacks of stuff to weed through. Yet, each day they tarry, is another day Trump, Kushner and all the other slimy crooks in the WH can continue their damage to the country.

It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall when Trump was first officially informed; that he and his campaign team were in deep doo doo.  It probably first happened a several weeks before the election, when, as candidate for the GOP, he was formally briefed by FBI and others.  Hillary was entitled to the same sort of briefing.

Similarly, just after being elected, Trump got briefed several times again, probably a lot more detailed.

It's like a scenario where the head of a mafia-like conspiracy is getting told details of what Intl agencies have on his conspiracy.  Very Odd.   It would be like a grand jury panel in NYC, which has been gathering incriminating data on local mafia - MEETS WITH THE MAFIA HEAD (they're investigating) TO TELL HIM ALL THEY'VE GOT.    

9 hours ago, bushdoctor said:

It's the desperation of the ill-informed left and wishful thinking. It will never happen. 

I'm not clear on what you mean.

What is "it's"?

"Desperation" about what?

"ill-informed" about what?

What is "wishful thinking"?

What will "never happen"?

Please inform me.

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I didn't say any such thing.

Perhaps you don't understand the last election.

Clinton decidedly won the POPULAR vote. 

She lost the election based on the electoral college in only four states by very thin margins in those four states.

The USA is close to a 50 / 50 nation as far as democrats / republicans.

It's a matter of moving a SMALL PORTION of the electorate to win presidential elections.

trump did that and studies are showing the main factors were racism and sexism. Not the economy. And certainly not Obamacare either which is actually quite popular compared to the replacement garbage bill which has less than 20 percent national support. 

Here we go again......the popular vote.  It's been done to death.

The Republicans won under an electoral system that has existed for a long time.   Would you be acting in the same childish way if Clinton had won under the same circumstances, i.e, won on electoral college votes but lost on the popular vote?  I doubt it.

Let's just leave the voting system out of this.  The election is long over, Republicans won, Democrats lost.

The US isn't much different from many other countries, close to 50/50, and not a huge portion of voters need to change the way they vote to influence the outcome.   That's not news.

46 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

The Republicans won under an electoral system that has existed for a long time.

The election is long over, Republicans won, Democrats lost.

Given the investigations, that remains to be seen...

Plenty of threads here to help you get informed.

:coffee1:

53 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

The Republicans won under an electoral system that has existed for a long time.   Would you be acting in the same childish way if Clinton had won under the same circumstances, i.e, won on electoral college votes but lost on the popular vote?  I doubt it.

Let's just leave the voting system out of this.  The election is long over, Republicans won, Democrats lost.

The US isn't much different from many other countries, close to 50/50, and not a huge portion of voters need to change the way they vote to influence the outcome.   That's not news.

The sore loser spin on "why my guy/gal shouldn't have lost" is what the complaints about the electoral are driven by.  Too funny, really.  It comes from a position of arrogance and a profound disconnect enabled by truly believing they're smarter than everyone else and just don't now how all those other persons can't see that fact.  

56 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Agree with you.

But you're reacting to a post completely out of context, your remarks have nothing to do with JT's point.

4 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

The sore loser spin on "why my guy/gal shouldn't have lost" is what the complaints about the electoral are driven by.

A very myopic, one dimensional view you have there.

I submit complaints are driven by, and are being investigated by;

The House Intelligence Committee

The Senate Intelligence Committee

The Senate Judiciary Committee

The House Oversight Committee

And Special Counsel Mueller.

As the White House is under investigation for obstruction of justice, collusion, fraud, racketeering, money laundering and espionage.

Unprecedented.

With the current fact that, the occupier of the White House' son, who along with a Senior White House adviser to his father and a Russian connected Trump campaign manager, had a clandestine meeting with agents from a hostile foreign adversary.

Russia.

"It comes from a position of arrogance and a profound disconnect enabled by truly believing they're smarter than everyone else

and just don't now how all those other persons can't see that fact."

Disconnect indeed.

I could't have composed a better description of supporters of the occupier of the White House myself.

17 minutes ago, iReason said:

A very myopic, one dimensional view you have there.

I submit complaints are driven by, and are being investigated by;

The House Intelligence Committee

The Senate Intelligence Committee

The Senate Judiciary Committee

The House Oversight Committee

And Special Counsel Mueller.

As the White House is under investigation for obstruction of justice, collusion, fraud, racketeering, money laundering and espionage.

Unprecedented.

With the current fact that, the occupier of the White House' son, who along with a Senior White House adviser to his father and a Russian connected Trump campaign manager, had a clandestine meeting with agents from a hostile foreign adversary.

Russia.

"It comes from a position of arrogance and a profound disconnect enabled by truly believing they're smarter than everyone else

and just don't now how all those other persons can't see that fact."

Disconnect indeed.

I could't have composed a better description of supporters of the occupier of the White House myself.

Please get a new hobby. These chronic duplicates of your opinion backed by google word searches to justify them go nowhere. 

7 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

Please get a new hobby. These chronic duplicates of your opinion backed by google word searches to justify them go nowhere. 

I'll stick with Facts.

As opposed to your hyperbolic, hysterical emotions.

41 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

As do your chronic dismissal of anything that goes against Trump.  Again, going nowhere...

Just now, craigt3365 said:

As do your chronic dismissal of anything that goes against Trump.  Again, going nowhere...

actually, I do not dismiss anything anti-Trump.  as a matter of fact, I have repeatedly stated I did not cast a vote for Mr. Trump.  but there has never been any substance on these repeated allegations against Trump and the current administration.  if you'll check, not a single forum member has ever asked me how I feel about what's been in action since January's inauguration.  all you get is comments like the above with comments about the "inner circle" and the hearsay surrounding them.   those queries have negative and accusatory conclusions regarding the "inner circle" and Pres. Trump built into them... and so it goes.

4 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

The thread is going nowhere, same old regurgitated crap.

Mods, please do us all a favor and kill off this boring, repetitive rubbish.

Stop reading it if it doesn't float your boat and stop contributing. You are one of the people responsible for the 'same old regurgitated crap'. Simple.

Edited by Andaman Al

6 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

if you'll check, not a single forum member has ever asked me how I feel about what's been in action since January's inauguration.  

Ramen087, how do you feel about what's been in action since January's inauguration?

15 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

And yet here you are.

Vainly attempting to silence what you don't agree with.

2 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

if you'll check, not a single forum member has ever asked me how I feel about what's been in action since January's inauguration.

"not a single forum member"

No one? 

That is tragic.

I hope you'll survive.

On a brighter note, another poster did respond to your plight.

Hours ago.

And so far, all he got was a big no response nothing burger.

7 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

I will do my best.   It will start now.   Further comments that are not about the US image in other countries will get removed and posters will be given a warning and possible suspension.  

Thaivisa is an international forum and I am sure that there is plenty of information about the image of the US available.  

U.S. Image Suffers as Publics Around World Question Trump’s Leadership

"Trump and many of his key policies are broadly unpopular around the globe,

and ratings for the U.S. have declined steeply in many nations."

"According to a new Pew Research Center survey spanning 37 nations,

a median of just 22% has confidence in Trump to do the right thing when it comes to international affairs."

"This stands in contrast to the final years of Barack Obama’s presidency,

when a median of 64% expressed confidence in Trump’s predecessor to direct America’s role in the world."

http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/06/26/u-s-image-suffers-as-publics-around-world-question-trumps-leadership/

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 9.17.22 PM.png

The image of the US has not fallen as far as I am concerned. Sure, give me Obama over Trump anytime, but what has it to do with Americans I see at Heathrow, Dubai or Suvarnabhumi? I have no idea who they voted for unless in conversation.

To me they are the same people they always were - some I like, some I don't. The same as anyone else from any other country one could choose to mention. Trump has not swayed my opinion nor will he.

10 hours ago, iReason said:

U.S. Image Suffers as Publics Around World Question Trump’s Leadership

"Trump and many of his key policies are broadly unpopular around the globe,

and ratings for the U.S. have declined steeply in many nations."

"According to a new Pew Research Center survey spanning 37 nations,

a median of just 22% has confidence in Trump to do the right thing when it comes to international affairs."

"This stands in contrast to the final years of Barack Obama’s presidency,

when a median of 64% expressed confidence in Trump’s predecessor to direct America’s role in the world."

http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/06/26/u-s-image-suffers-as-publics-around-world-question-trumps-leadership/

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 9.17.22 PM.png

I think a more valid comparison, or certainly a parallel comparison, would be Obama with Clinton when Obama first took office.   I do know that Obama's approval/popularity soared in his final couple of years, and it's not unusual for approval to drop when a new leader takes office because the voters don't know what to expect.  Percentages will no doubt vary,  but broadly, those are traditional trends.

I don't have the time or level of interest to trawl through the net looking for similar graphical data, but I'm sure it's there somewhere, and you will be able to find something that expresses a contrary view.

You really need to compare apples with apples, not apples with durian.

7 hours ago, baboon said:

The image of the US has not fallen as far as I am concerned. Sure, give me Obama over Trump anytime, but what has it to do with Americans I see at Heathrow, Dubai or Suvarnabhumi? I have no idea who they voted for unless in conversation.

To me they are the same people they always were - some I like, some I don't. The same as anyone else from any other country one could choose to mention. Trump has not swayed my opinion nor will he.

Did you read the article?  It did say..."On the positive side, the survey showed that 58 percent of respondents had a positive view of Americans in general."  So the thread title is not about what the world thinks of individual Americans, but more about how they view the USA.  And Trump is supposed to represent the USA.  Unfortunately, he's not doing us any favors.

30 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I think a more valid comparison, or certainly a parallel comparison, would be Obama with Clinton when Obama first took office.

But, but, but, Obama...

But, but, but, Clinton...

The ancient moldy oldie deflection of the Trumpeteers.

F4UCorsair said:

"The thread is going nowhere, same old regurgitated crap."

Indeed.

Yawn.

Edited by iReason

30 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I think a more valid comparison, or certainly a parallel comparison, would be Obama with Clinton when Obama first took office.   I do know that Obama's approval/popularity soared in his final couple of years, and it's not unusual for approval to drop when a new leader takes office because the voters don't know what to expect.  Percentages will no doubt vary,  but broadly, those are traditional trends.

I don't have the time or level of interest to trawl through the net looking for similar graphical data, but I'm sure it's there somewhere, and you will be able to find something that expresses a contrary view.

You really need to compare apples with apples, not apples with durian.

"parallel comparison, would be Obama with Clinton when Obama first took office"

We all tend to black out bad memories, but I notice you skipped a whole eight years of the disastrous Bush presidency, you know, the one that directly preceded the Obama presidency.

T

T

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

Yet you opine on it ! Why even bother contributing?

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Also in the Telegraph! Very funny from Reebok who offered some etiquette lessons to Trump. I am sure they may have lost some customers (not many rednecks can buy Reebok) but I bet they made a lot more customers! Here is the picture/poster

596ad6da1f479_ScreenShot2017-07-16at9_58_13AM.png.4629075410744693f2ad40515ecc23af.png

Edited by Andaman Al

I think its the same Image.Bill the Zip Clinton, Obama , the Song n Dance Man , now its Don the Wall ,all good fun because they are just told what to do on major issues.?[emoji383]
Kennedy was yer last good chap.!.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect