Image of the United States has plunged under Trump, survey shows

webfact

10 hours ago, Opl said:

The wall could be a crowdfounding project promoted by Ivanka, what's the matter? 

Whats the matter?? I'll tell you what's the matter: her dad's romantic rival, Jared would prefer she work on some his projects once in a while, if you know what I mean.

T

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

And can track the sun throughout the day.

So now we not only have a wall 1000 miles long but it must have movable, sun traceable panels (east to west). Maybe now your wall will be 50 billion dollars. It would need an army of maintenance men and the Mexicans would amuse themselves by spraying paint on it on their side. A gifted and intuitive idea (NOT) that Trump heard elsewhere and has communicated it to people like you and you then lend it some sort of credibility. Talk about engaging mouth before brain.

10 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

There still isn't money allocated for the wall. The bill hasn't been enacted into law yet. And you think it's only trump-bashing democrats who oppose the wall?

Trump's Wall Request Lacks Support from Border Lawmakers

Republican and Democratic lawmakers in Congress from states that border the southern U.S. appear unified against President Donald Trump's spending request to build a wall, according to a survey conducted by The Wall Street Journal. 

Trump has asked Congress to appropriate $1.4 billion as part of a spending bill which must be passed by April 28 to avoid a government shutdown.

The Wall Street Journal survey, published Friday, said that most lawmakers from the region were either opposed or noncommittal, and many said they had unanswered questions.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/border-lawmaker-southern-wall/2017/04/22/id/785805/

Even if the proposed allocation passes the House, it's going to run into very stiff opposition in the Senate. All 4 Republican Senators from states bordering on Mexico oppose the wall. It's going to need 60 votes to pass in the Senate. You think those 4 senators are politically suicidal?

You're linking an article that pre-dates this bill. That April deadline has come and gone. This is a bill yet to be voted on. (I'm assuming this was an honest mistake.) 

The House is projected to pass it easily. As for Democrats, many have voted for border barriers before...including Senator Clinton, Senator Schumer, and Senator Obama....so rather than trying to predict the future I suggest we wait for the actual results. 

16 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

You're linking an article that pre-dates this bill. That April deadline has come and gone. This is a bill yet to be voted on. (I'm assuming this was an honest mistake.) 

The House is projected to pass it easily. As for Democrats, many have voted for border barriers before...including Senator Clinton, Senator Schumer, and Senator Obama....so rather than trying to predict the future I suggest we wait for the actual results. 

Here's the guy you're supporting.  You're in the minority.  Which is shrinking by the month.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/16/politics/trump-poll-abc-wapo-approval/index.html

Only 36% of Americans approve of President Donald Trump's performance in the Oval Office, a new Washington Post/ABC News poll has found.

That gives Trump the lowest approval rating at the six-month mark of any president in 70 years, ABC News reports.

Americans liked Clinton and Bush better than Trump! :cheesy:

2 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

So now we not only have a wall 1000 miles long but it must have movable, sun traceable panels (east to west). Maybe now your wall will be 50 billion dollars. It would need an army of maintenance men and the Mexicans would amuse themselves by spraying paint on it on their side. A gifted and intuitive idea (NOT) that Trump heard elsewhere and has communicated it to people like you and you then lend it some sort of credibility. Talk about engaging mouth before brain.

And in the beginning, "The US military sought to build virtual borders during the Vietnam War. And in the process they helped to invent the modern electronic battlefield, whose technologies came back to the US in the early 1970s, where they were quickly deployed against drug cartels, smugglers, and anyone else trying to cross the border from Mexico.

Igloo White also formed the bedrock of a border surveillance revolution that’s ongoing today. At the US-Mexico border, drones stalk the skies and electronic sensors alert Border Patrol agents to anyone trying to cross into the United States."

Operation Igloo was operated from Naknon Phanom, Thailand, besides, I know, I was there. The 'Way-Back' Machine. They used this surveillance in Laos, too. So there you go, cutting edge Thailand. 

20 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

And in the beginning, "The US military sought to build virtual borders during the Vietnam War. And in the process they helped to invent the modern electronic battlefield, whose technologies came back to the US in the early 1970s, where they were quickly deployed against drug cartels, smugglers, and anyone else trying to cross the border from Mexico.

Igloo White also formed the bedrock of a border surveillance revolution that’s ongoing today. At the US-Mexico border, drones stalk the skies and electronic sensors alert Border Patrol agents to anyone trying to cross into the United States."

Operation Igloo was operated from Naknon Phanom, Thailand, besides, I know, I was there. The 'Way-Back' Machine. They used this surveillance in Laos, too. So there you go, cutting edge Thailand. 

Very  Interesting! Thanks!

I didn't know about this

I read about The Ravens but this sensor warfare was way ahead of its time!

1 hour ago, bushdoctor said:

Yes, the bill has yet to be voted on. So no money has been allocated to building a wall. It 's just in a draft of a bill that has yet to be voted on.  

Really? Schumer is going to vote for the walll? 

"In June, Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) sent a letter expressing concern “with the President’s Fiscal Year 2018 request for a very expensive, ineffective new wall along the southern border with Mexico,” and rejected the idea of funding it."

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/341380-trump-wall-moves-to-center-of-shutdown-fight

You can't be following the American political scene very closely if you believe that it's going to get much, if any Democratic support. It doesn't even seem to be able to draw support from Republican Senators  in border states, and Republican representatives particularly those who represesent border districts.

48 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

I understand about the surveillance and sensor equipment, I have a company that sells it (including large UAV's), but I don't get the connection with a 1000 mile wall that now people want to upgrade to incorporating sun tracking solar panel technology when the purpose of the wall/structure is to prevent people from crossing (i.e. the centre of the wall at least must be fixed, unmovable with no gaps). When I refer to an army of maintenance men that is what would be required to keep a 1000 mile stretch of solar panel operating. I assume you mean that the 1000 mile wall is totally needed and useless if you consider the 'cutting edge' technology available?

I do agree that they could surveil the border far more effectively by having an increased number/net of UAV's with high quality thermal imaging sensors. This would allow border patrols, via live feedback,  to be directed to the exact spot of border crossing.

8 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

I do agree that they could surveil the border far more effectively by having an increased number/net of UAV's with high quality thermal imaging sensors. This would allow border patrols, via live feedback,  to be directed to the exact spot of border crossing.

Operation Igloo and Task Force Alpha was operated from Naknon Phanom, Thailand. It's no longer a secret. That's 45 odd years ago. Much of the work was military research and development. They were also working on drones. My point is after all these years we are discussing medieval walls. Like the "Great Wall of America". The concept is political fast food. And, it's like all or nothing solutions. Apply the appropriate solution to the situation. Much of work could be done with smart sensory or drone surveillance. Use data analytics for tracking and predictions. Break drug trafficking routes. Maybe the who thing is babble and who gets the contracts. 

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Very  Interesting! Thanks!

I didn't know about this

I read about The Ravens but this sensor warfare was way ahead of its time!

Here you go. Nakhon Phanom, a military base on the west bank of the Mekong River in northeast Thailand that was so secret it officially did not exist.

http://www.businessinsider.com/long-before-drones-the-us-tried-to-automize-warfare-during-the-vietnam-war-2015-3

Good reading, I was there 69-70. As young man, there, I fell in love with Thailand. 

15 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Not MY wall Al, nor do I have any interest in it, so your poke about 'communicating it to people like me' is not valid, and just plain foolish.   I was commenting on a post that mentioned varying the angles for best absorption.   I had read that technology is available for panels to be able to track the sun throughout the day, thereby maximizing the captured solar energy.

Go provoke somebody else seeking a hostile response so you can report the poster.  Not my style.

44 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Not MY wall Al, nor do I have any interest in it, so your poke about 'communicating it to people like me' is not valid, and just plain foolish.   I was commenting on a post that mentioned varying the angles for best absorption.   I had read that technology is available for panels to be able to track the sun throughout the day, thereby maximizing the captured solar energy.

Go provoke somebody else seeking a hostile response so you can report the poster.  Not my style.

Tracking the sun isn't new technology, a colleague of mine built that into his camping van, what would be problematic is keeping an army of cleaners to keep the dust off, Mexicans?

“This year’s Soft Power 30 results should raise concerns in the American foreign policy establishment, the rankings  reporting a fall in America’s global reputation and influence..Polling on the US was undertaken before the president announced it was withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement, a decision that is likely to have further damaged the US’s reputation. At the same time, President Trump’s drive to put ‘America First’ continues to undermine US soft power.”

( Soft Power 30 Index combines polling in 25 countries and objective digital data to measure a country’s impact. The polling looks at the perceived favourability towards countries. The Index is compiled by the PR firm Portland Communications in conjunction with the University of Southern California school of public diplomacy.)

Explore results for 30 countries: http://softpower30.portland-communications.com/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/18/macron-helps-france-become-world-leader-soft-power-survey-finds

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/due-to-trump-us-no-longer-most-powerful-country/

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Tracking the sun isn't new technology, a colleague of mine built that into his camping van, what would be problematic is keeping an army of cleaners to keep the dust off, Mexicans?

I knew the technology had been around for some years.

High unemployment in Mexico, so perhaps jobs for all?

2 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I knew the technology had been around for some years.

High unemployment in Mexico, so perhaps jobs for all?

What a trifecta! The Mexicans are going to be stopped by The Wall, pay for The Wall that is stopping them and work to maintain The Wall that is thwarting their dreams.

In horse racing, that kind of win is known as a quinella.

Those lucky Mexicans!

T

3 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

What a trifecta! The Mexicans are going to be stopped by The Wall, pay for The Wall that is stopping them and work to maintain The Wall that is thwarting their dreams.

In horse racing, that kind of win is known as a quinella.

Those lucky Mexicans!

T

Very astute observations Thakkar..   Maybe payment can be made by the Mexicans foregoing their wages??

You confused me though.....trifecta or quinella, two quite different things.

4 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Maybe payment can be made by the Mexicans foregoing their wages??

Heck, why not just bring back slavery? That's what some Trump voters may really be hankering for when they say MAGA.

T

24 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Heck, why not just bring back slavery? That's what some Trump voters may really be hankering for when they say MAGA.

T

When I see some of the incomes Americans earn, I think it still exists!!

11 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

When I see some of the incomes Americans earn, I think it still exists!!

Under Trump and his healthcare repeal and tax cuts for the rich, it will soon progress to the actual slavery that existed in the 17th and 18th century America. #MAGA will have been achieved.

T

13 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Off topic a little,...Lee Kwan Yew, the father of modern Singapore, had a policy of the rich keeping far more of their incomes than low income earners.   The basis for that is that high income earners are the engine rooms of the economy, they employ, invest, spend, live well, etc.   Without big business, there is no small business, and then few jobs, small business being the largest employer in most countries.   Also, there is an incentive to attain a higher income, create the will to be wealthy, and look at Singapore.   What a country!!!

I like Singapore, a great country in many ways.  Their economy, rule of law, IT, stability, education, etc., are the envy of the world.  BUT, they do sacrifice a number of things, mostly in the area of individual freedom.  Take World Press Freedom.  Singapore is 151 in the world...lower than Russia.

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

It's a dictatorship, afterall, so things like freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, and other civil liberties are quite limited. 

It's also an expensive place, not just to own a home, but to even own a car.  And it's the 3rd most dense place in the world, very crowded.  So lots of pluses and minuses....just like everywhere else in the world. 

23 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

So now we not only have a wall 1000 miles long but it must have movable, sun traceable panels (east to west)

As the sun apparently shines out of the man-child's backside they're mostly required to be pointed towards one of his golf courses.

Speaking of the US's image around the world, this one really stings and was so freakin predictable...

[Walter M. Shaub Jr., director of the Office of Government Ethics, told the New York Times that President Trump’s apparent disdain for long-established ethical norms has undermined the credibility of the United States around the world.

“It’s hard for the United States to pursue international anticorruption and ethics initiatives when we’re not even keeping our own side of the street clean,” Shaub told the Times in an article published Monday. “I think we are pretty close to a laughingstock at this point.”]

[Shaub — who has been a vocal critic of Trump’s since his election — said the president’s frequent trips to his family-owned golf clubs are a microcosm of just how blurry the line between the White House and Trump brand has become.]

[“It creates the appearance of profiting from the presidency,” Shaub said. “Misuse of position is really the heart of the ethics program, and the internationally accepted definition of corruption is abuse of entrusted power. It undermines the government ethics program by casting doubt on the integrity of government decision making.”]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/outgoing-federal-ethics-chief-pretty-close-laughingstock-point-133538320.html

Trump's Presidency is becoming the textbook definition of corruption.  Yet his minions, just can't/won't see it.  Amazing. 

21 hours ago, Kim1950 said:

Operation Igloo and Task Force Alpha was operated from Naknon Phanom, Thailand. It's no longer a secret. That's 45 odd years ago. Much of the work was military research and development. They were also working on drones. My point is after all these years we are discussing medieval walls. Like the "Great Wall of America". The concept is political fast food. And, it's like all or nothing solutions. Apply the appropriate solution to the situation. Much of work could be done with smart sensory or drone surveillance. Use data analytics for tracking and predictions. Break drug trafficking routes. Maybe the who thing is babble and who gets the contracts. 

Thank you for clarifying. I agree 100% with your last sentence.

2 hours ago, attrayant said:

Tried that already: Reaganomics.  Maybe if we rename it Yewanomics it'll work this time?

Hey don't be making fun of Reaganomics, wages have been trickling down and down ever since, and thats a really good thing I've been told.

2 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Hey don't be making fun of Reaganomics, wages have been trickling down and down ever since, and thats a really good thing I've been told.

Not to mention Trump's always up for some trickle, if you know what I mean.

T

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Trump's Presidency is becoming the textbook definition of corruption.  Yet his minions, just can't/won't see it.  Amazing. 

I also find that incredible.  He's accomplished nothing but create chaos. Yet some still support him.

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I also find that incredible.  He's accomplished nothing but create chaos. Yet some still support him.

The most recent polling shows just 25 percent of Americans now support him enthusiastically. I doubt it ever gets lower than 20 percent. He can't really effectively govern with support so low. 

Archived