Is Reporting Death of Thai Wife with UK Authorities Necessary?

GarryP

My Thai wife died a few years ago and I reported her death at the local District Office.  Now I am getting married again, but I am concerned about the UK end of things. I also registered my first marriage via the British Embassy and the marriage was then recorded with the Central Registry in the UK. However, I am not sure whether I also need to record the death of my first wife or the fact that the marriage is now null and void. I do not anticipate registering my new marriage with the UK authorities as I gained no benefit from the first one and it seems to have been a waste of time and money.  However, my concern is that if we apply for a visa to the UK in the future for my new wife (we are planning a trip next year), the fact that I previously recorded a marriage that is still on record may cause problems for her visa application.  Anyone with a similar experience? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

As a widower getting remarried won't you need a form from the embassy declaring you are free to marry?

If so asking for one before telling them your first wife is dead could be an issue!

You might consider checking if you need a permission to marry letter and if so make sure you take proof of death with you.

13 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

As a widower getting remarried won't you need a form from the embassy declaring you are free to marry?

If so asking for one before telling them your first wife is dead could be an issue!

You might consider checking if you need a permission to marry letter and if so make sure you take proof of death with you.

I have lived in Thailand for many years and I registered my first marriage at the District Office where I also registered my wife's death. Also, since my wife's death, I have become a Thai citizen so getting married this time around I will not need anything from the Embassy.  

I will definitely be taking my wife's death certificate with me as you suggested. However, my main concern is the visa for my wife "to be" when we visit the UK next year.  I assume that as far as the UK is concerned I am still married to my first wife as they have no reason to know she is no longer alive. Thus, the concern if we apply for a visa next year on the basis of marriage but to a different woman.  I am probably over thinking this as I took my girlfriend to the UK with me last year and there was no problem with getting the visa then, but better safe than sorry. 

Anyway, thanks for the input.  

11 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Perhaps if your late wife had been receiving a British Government pension I've no doubt her death should have been reported at that time. Only guessing. Anyone been in this situation?

My late wife didn't draw any pension. In 26 years of marriage she spent a total of no more than 2 months in the UK. I have lived in Thailand all my adult life.

If you are, or will be, drawing a company/private pension then it could affect that.

I informed my pension company of my marriage as my wife will get 50% of this upon my death.

Have you told any UK authorities of your marriage? The British Embassy will not necessarily have a record of your marriage, only that you applied for an affirmation of freedom to do so.

If you plan to remarry see this link - start it and after country and type of marriage section 3 says you will need a death certificate,

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y/thailand/opposite_sex

Details for the British Embassy in Bangkok ---

Address: 14 Wireless Road Lumpini, Pathum Wan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Edited by TheGibbo

Thanks for all the input. I will not be drawing any UK pension. My retirement will be based on my savings alone. I have lived in Thailand for nearly 36 years and work here. 

The only registration with the UK authorities my late wife and I made was the registration of our marriage. 

My concern is whether it will impact a visa request for my new wife if I don't register my late wife's death. When we went to the UK last year there was no problem but she was just my girlfriend then.

Anyway, as suggested I will call the embassy.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, GarryP said:

I have lived in Thailand for many years and I registered my first marriage at the District Office where I also registered my wife's death. Also, since my wife's death, I have become a Thai citizen so getting married this time around I will not need anything from the Embassy.  

I will definitely be taking my wife's death certificate with me as you suggested. However, my main concern is the visa for my wife "to be" when we visit the UK next year.  I assume that as far as the UK is concerned I am still married to my first wife as they have no reason to know she is no longer alive. Thus, the concern if we apply for a visa next year on the basis of marriage but to a different woman.  I am probably over thinking this as I took my girlfriend to the UK with me last year and there was no problem with getting the visa then, but better safe than sorry. 

Anyway, thanks for the input.  

IMO you already know the answer to your OP. Notify them of her death if intending to take your new lady to the UK as your "wife".

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO you already know the answer to your OP. Notify them of her death if intending to take your new lady to the UK as your "wife".

If I knew the answer I would not have posted. We will just be spending a week or so in the UK next year.