Clinton campaign chairman testifies in U.S. House Russia probe

webfact

Clinton campaign chairman testifies in U.S. House Russia probe

By Patricia Zengerle

tag-reuters-2.jpg

John Podesta, chairman of the 2016 Hillary Clinton presidential campaign, addresses the crowd at Democratic U.S. presidential nominee Hillary Clinton's election night rally in New York, U.S., in this file photo dated November 9, 2016. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman, John Podesta, on Tuesday appeared before the U.S. House of Representatives Intelligence Committee, which has begun interviewing witnesses in its probe of how Russia may have influenced the 2016 election.

Committee members declined to comment on the discussion to reporters as they left the panel's secure hearing room. Podesta stopped and commented briefly.

"They asked me to come forward to give to the best of my knowledge what I knew about that, and I was happy to cooperate with the committee in their investigation of Russian interference with the democratic process in the United States," he said.

Republican President Donald Trump, who defeated Clinton in the election, recently has accused former Democratic President Barack Obama of doing too little to address Russian cyber attacks while he was still in the White House.

On Monday, Trump demanded on Twitter that investigators apologise for looking to Russian interference and possible collusion with his campaign. He accused Obama of having "colluded or obstructed," without providing evidence.

Asked whether he thought Obama had done enough, Podesta said, "I think the president and the entire administration were dealing with an unprecedented incidence of the weaponisation of the fruits of Russian cyber activity and making the best judgements they could on behalf of the American people."

During the 2016 campaign, hackers penetrated the Democratic National Committee's email server and separately stole emails from Podesta's personal account. The emails were then posted online and used to embarrass Clinton, including by Trump, who frequently used their content as political ammunition.

U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded that Russia was behind the hacking and that it was seeking to boost Trump's chances of winning the White House.

Russia has denied trying to influence the election, and Trump has dismissed such allegations as sour grapes by Democrats and their supporters unable to come to terms with his surprise victory in November.

The House intelligence panel is conducting one of several investigations into Russian meddling in the election and possible collusion with members of Trump's campaign, as is Department of Justice Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

The House panel began bringing in witnesses for interviews this week, and a few more are expected before lawmakers leave Washington by Friday for their week-long July 4 holiday recess.

(Reporting by Patricia Zengerle; editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-28

I believe only the extremely small minded still believe Russia did not involve itself with tampering in the election, though identifying the level of its influence is impossible. The big question to be answered is if there was any collusion with the Trump campaign. It would be helpful for Donald to keep quiet on the matter though. Every time he tweets wild comments, unsubstantiated by any evidence, he only adds fuel to the fires of speculation.

25 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I believe only the extremely small minded still believe Russia did not involve itself with tampering in the election, though identifying the level of its influence is impossible. The big question to be answered is if there was any collusion with the Trump campaign. It would be helpful for Donald to keep quiet on the matter though. Every time he tweets wild comments, unsubstantiated by any evidence, he only adds fuel to the fires of speculation.

Nearly a year of investigation has not revealed a shred of evidence. I disagree with you.

3 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Nearly a year of investigation has not revealed a shred of evidence. I disagree with you.

Seriously?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded that Russia was behind the hacking and that it was seeking to boost Trump's chances of winning the White House.

So that's the first part of my post correct, and only someone very stupid can possibly disagree with the fact it happened.

As for the investigation, I wasn't aware it had been announced what they had or hadn't found. The fact that it recently called for substantially more resources, does suggest that they have found somethings and need to check them more thoroughly, which supports my second assertion.

Donald has tweeted repeatedly on the subject, often with little or no substantiation to back them up, and that has caused concern by many people, so my third point is also valid. You cannot deny he has done so. Whether his team had any association or not, with the Russians is something that only time will tell. I would hope for Americas sake it is untrue, but the jury is still out on the matter.

So, what exactly in my OP, which I stand by, do you disagree with?

Obviously, if you can post any links showing I am inaccurate on the above, please enlighten me.

The Comey tapes he hinted about at a press conference were apparently non existent. Either that or they confirmed Comeys claims. I though the Oval office was permently taped since the days of Kennedy 

4 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

The Comey tapes he hinted about at a press conference were apparently non existent. Either that or they confirmed Comeys claims. I though the Oval office was permently taped since the days of Kennedy 

The meeting was not held in the Oval Office.  

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

How do you know not a single shred of evidence has been revealed; do you have a crystal ball? The investigations at this level do not usually reveal any evidence until a decision is made.

The investigation is ongoing and it was given higher priority when Mueller was appointed special counsel; that was after Comey was fired on May 9, less than two months ago. So, you can disagree all you like and still be wrong.

9 minutes ago, Scott said:

Was in the Whithouse though wasnt it , Republicans asked for tapes so I assumed Oval office

Edited by Dave67

6 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Was in the Whithouse though wasnt it , Republicans asked for tapes so I assumed Oval office

I believe Comey was invited by Trump for dinner and the dinner was just the two of them and it was held in the Green Room of the White House.  

8 minutes ago, Scott said:

I thought we were talking specifically about the meeting where allegedly rump asked Sessions to leave the room so he could "hope" Comey would drop the Flynn investigation

I know the nay-sayers will call this fake news, but it seems  the NYT and the Wash Post thinks this meeting was held in the Oval office

Trump made Pence and Sessions leave before he talked to Comey ...

May 16, 2017 - Trump made Pence and Sessions leave before he talked to Comey. ... that President Trump, at a meeting with then-FBI Director James B. Comey the day after national ... But the Trump-Comey Oval Office encounter, however Comey took it at the time, becomes ... In May, he fired him over “this Russia thing.

Comey Told Sessions: Don't Leave Me Alone With Trump - The New ...

Jun 6, 2017 - The F.B.I. director did not tell the attorney general why a meeting the day ... But Mr. Sessions could not guarantee that the president would not try to talk to Mr. ... his Oval Office meeting with the president: Mr. Trump's request that the F.B.I. ... By the time Mr. Trump fired Mr. Comey last month, Mr. Comey had ...

2 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

While 17 intelligence agencies have proof of  Russian interference in the US election, the public hearings that are being held by the Republican controlled Congress and Senate have not revealed any collusion as of yet. In Congress especially the chairman of the committee has hogtied those in search of the truth which may actually clear the President. The investigation by the special prosecutor is the one to watch if any information actually flows out from behind closed doors. This investigation may branch out into other areas other than collusion.

20 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I thought we were talking specifically about the meeting where allegedly rump asked Sessions to leave the room so he could "hope" Comey would drop the Flynn investigation

I know the nay-sayers will call this fake news, but it seems  the NYT and the Wash Post thinks this meeting was held in the Oval office

Trump made Pence and Sessions leave before he talked to Comey ...

May 16, 2017 - Trump made Pence and Sessions leave before he talked to Comey. ... that President Trump, at a meeting with then-FBI Director James B. Comey the day after national ... But the Trump-Comey Oval Office encounter, however Comey took it at the time, becomes ... In May, he fired him over “this Russia thing.

Comey Told Sessions: Don't Leave Me Alone With Trump - The New ...

Jun 6, 2017 - The F.B.I. director did not tell the attorney general why a meeting the day ... But Mr. Sessions could not guarantee that the president would not try to talk to Mr. ... his Oval Office meeting with the president: Mr. Trump's request that the F.B.I. ... By the time Mr. Trump fired Mr. Comey last month, Mr. Comey had ...

There was a meeting in the Oval Office, but the one which Trump was referring to in which he said something to the affect "He better hope there isn't any tapes", was in the Green Room.  

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I believe Comey was invited by Trump for dinner and the dinner was just the two of them and it was held in the Green Room of the White House.  

Comey to testify Trump requested he 'drop' Flynn investigation

www.cnbc.com/.../comey-will-say-trump-told-him-i-hope-you-can-let-this-go-on-fly...
Jun 7, 2017 - Comey will testify he believes Trump wanted him to 'drop' Flynn ... I hope you can let this go,'" Comey will say of an Oval Office meeting in ...

Comey: I took it as an order when Trump told me to drop Flynn probe

www.cnbc.com/.../comey-to-senate-committee-trump-wanted-me-to-drop-flynn-prob...

Jun 8, 2017 - In his prepared testimony, Comey recalled that, at that Oval Office meeting, the president said: "I hope you can see your way clear to letting this ..

4 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

I've responded to this type of not-wanting-to-see-anything post before. It gets tiring.  It's like responding to posts by people who claim there is no indication of Global Warming.  There's a whole heck of a lot of proofs of Russia meddling in the 2016 election and of Trump's people colluding.  LOTS.

Trump fans would probably say there was also no fudging by Trump insiders on their security clearance forms.  Then, when it's proved that many Oval Office insiders lied on their security forms,  Trumpsters will say, "So what. It doesn't matter."

This link might add some clarification.

It is very comprehensive, addressing a lot of players and their respective activities.

FYI: There are even links contained withing the story to flowcharts and more detailed information.

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/obamas-feckless-response-to-russian-interference-is-the-real-scandal/

putin-1-1_2280x840_acf_cropped-360x210.j
Obama’s Feckless Response to Russian Interference Is the Real Scandal
Previous president did little to protect the nation's democratic institutions when under siege.

4 hours ago, KenKadz said:

This link might add some clarification.

It is very comprehensive, addressing a lot of players and their respective activities.

FYI: There are even links contained withing the story to flowcharts and more detailed information.

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/obamas-feckless-response-to-russian-interference-is-the-real-scandal/

putin-1-1_2280x840_acf_cropped-360x210.j
Obama’s Feckless Response to Russian Interference Is the Real Scandal
Previous president did little to protect the nation's democratic institutions when under siege.

Here's a comparison:

A wild party.  your 150 lb mom dances on a table and everyone has a fine time.

Next party;  you take your 315 lb body to dance on the same table.  Table breaks and you snap your ankle. You blame the mom.  

Obama didn't make a big publicity event to respond to the Russian interference in the election because it would have been yet more ammunition for baby-who-looks-like-a-man Trump.   Trump already screams and cries when anything looks remotely like an uneven playing field.  Trump would have gone ballistic if Obama made a big deal out of the Russian thing.   He was already fussing like a spoiled baby for weeks before the election, swearing that the election was rigged.   Imagine how much more loudly he would have squealed if Obama mentioned the Russia thing, and Trump had lost.  

13 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

The special investigation just started, and the Congressional investigations too.  If It's complex, they can take years!  Dude, are you ok?  Don't take the pills AND drink~I'm sure your friend told you that.

June 17, 1972: The plumbers are arrested at 2:30 a.m. in the process of burglarizing and planting surveillance bugs in the Democratic National Committee offices at the Watergate Building Complex.August 1974

• July 24, 1974: United States v. Nixon decided: Nixon is ordered to give up tapes to investigators.
  • Congress moves to impeach Nixon.
    • July 27 to July 30, 1974: House Judiciary Committee passes Articles of Impeachment.
    • Early August 1974: A previously unknown tape from June 23, 1972 (recorded a few days after the break-in) documenting Nixon and Haldeman formulating a plan to block investigations is released. This recording later became known as the "Smoking Gun".
    • Key Republican Senators tell Nixon that enough votes exist to convict him

Obama's was somewhat boxed in.

Intelligence agencies were slow to support the CIA’s conclusion Putin sought to help Trump; state election officials fought against federal efforts to help in elections; and Republican congressional leaders argued against going public with the information. McConnell was skeptical of the intelligence, and other Republicans argued warning the public could help Russia undermine confidence in the election.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-right-obama-didnt-do-enough-about-russian-election-interference-629034

If Obama had sounded the alarm himself earlier and more forcefully, it almost surely would have backfired and looked political. http://www.newsweek.com/obama-was-right-russia-629201

17 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Here's a comparison:

A wild party.  your 150 lb mom dances on a table and everyone has a fine time.

Next party;  you take your 315 lb body to dance on the same table.  Table breaks and you snap your ankle. You blame the mom.  

Obama didn't make a big publicity event to respond to the Russian interference in the election because it would have been yet more ammunition for baby-who-looks-like-a-man Trump.   Trump already screams and cries when anything looks remotely like an uneven playing field.  Trump would have gone ballistic if Obama made a big deal out of the Russian thing.   He was already fussing like a spoiled baby for weeks before the election, swearing that the election was rigged.   Imagine how much more loudly he would have squealed if Obama mentioned the Russia thing, and Trump had lost.  

Don't shoot the messenger!