2 weeks abroad. Return to LOS and notice bad driving habits

I realise this is an old topic but the Thai drivers are shockingly bad and dangerous. We recently had 2 weeks out of Thailand. On returning we flew into the regional airport and the mini van picked us up to take us to our city. Within 5 to 10min our van was nearly in an accident due to a speeding car cutting in front of us. The driver of our van did not reduce his speed to let him in and we could have been in a serious accident.

This morning on the way to work I was in the left lane and there was a car in the right lane just ahead of me. All of a sudden a pickup flew past me really fast and nearly ran up the back of the driver in the right lane. I pulled back and the guy swerved in and around the driver in front of me. He could have smashed into the other car. I thought for sure there would be an accident and it was very close. My adrenaline was pumping after seeing this reckless act of driving.

Last year a 14 yr old teen ran up the back of my pickup riding an unlicensed bike and no helmet. I got half the blame and my insurance paid for the damage to her bike and my pickup. It was a pain in the ass as I had to go to the police station 3 times and many trips to the insurance co and the smash repairs for 3 weeks.

I now drive slow and remain alert. The idiot this morning could have smashed into my car for sure. I cant believe how bad the driving is in this country. They need to install speed cameras and make people pay the fines. If it costs them money they will slow down. It works in the nanny state where I come from.

cheers

Dunno. I don't take minibuses any more after my first and last trip in one six years ago. I do two school runs a day, round trip 40Km, frequently longer and very long trips including Bangkok and Chonburi.

I swear a lot, I always did, but my nasty suspicious nature lets me assume that whatever would be the most impossible, thoughtless and selfish thing to happen, probably will happen , right now. So  120 00Km in four years, all sorts of traffic, no accident and not many near accidents.

As I said, dunno. I'm 70 years old by the way.

Touch wood....

Too many slow and too many fast drivers...Thais don't understand the speed limit means everyone should be driving at that speed to produce harmony and integration on the road....

very slow drivers in the left forces me to pass on the right and  for those few seconds you can have a bat out of hell on your tail in a moment tailgating forcing me to get over quickly to the left lane...

everyone drives individually regardless of road conditions not understanding each car is part of a sum...

my biggest pet peeve in LOS....

Edited by cardinalblue

How did you get half the blame for being rear-ended? May i suggest dash cams front and rear. Thais and farang drive to diffrent standards farang and farang drive at diffrent standards. We can debate forever about Thais driving skills or lack of them. The fact remains however bad the system is for obtaining a D/L here its the system those who have gone through the system have legaly according to Thai law passed there test and are legally entitled to drive regardless of how they were taught or not taught. As for the unlicensed drivers of bikes and cars thats another matter something that in my lifetime here will not go away.

What we as farang percive to be bad driving is not necessarily what Thai drivers belive. 

So chill out hang back don't race to close a gap so "where does this idiot think he's going" wont get in front of you. Abide by the Law dont get upset if "look at that bloody idiot " next to you doesnt. Smile and be happy.

Edited by jeab1980

Many years ago I realized that whenever I met a friend the conversation began with.   You'll never believe what just happened.     Eventually you get used to it. Drive carefully and stay calm. We have no other choice but to drive a safe car. 

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

How did you get half the blame for being rear-ended? May i suggest dash cams front and rear. Thais and farang drive to diffrent standards farang and farang drive at diffrent standards. We can debate forever about Thais driving skills or lack of them. The fact remains however bad the system is for obtaining a D/L here its the system those who have gone through the system have legaly according to Thai law passed there test and are legally entitled to drive regardless of how they were taught or not taught. As for the unlicensed drivers of bikes and cars thats another matter something that in my lifetime here will not go away.

What we as farang percive to be bad driving is not necessarily what Thai drivers belive. 

So chill out hang back don't race to close a gap so "where does this idiot think he's going" wont get in front of you. Abide by the Law dont get upset if "look at that bloody idiot " next to you doesnt. Smile and be happy.

Good post.

whenever possible (if you must travel in LoS) go by air.  Have a taxi take you from airport to final destination through thick traffic jams so that average speed does not exceed 20kph. 

Do not ever use a van or long-distance bus and if possible avoid walking (note how very few Thais actually walk when not in a mall) .

NEVER drive or be driven at night.

Edited by blazes

6 minutes ago, blazes said:

whenever possible (if you must travel in LoS) go by air.  Have a taxi take you from airport to final destination through thick traffic jams so that average speed does not exceed 20kph. 

Do not ever use a van or long-distance bus and if possible avoid walking (note how very few Thais actually walk when not in a mall) .

If I would have followed your recommendations, I would have missed a lot of the beautiful places in this country in the 22 years I am driving here, car and motorbike. I stopped measuring after a total of about 400,000 kms.

25 minutes ago, Clarinet man said:

You think they are bad drivers in Thailand . (They are!) But compared with the Philippines they are wonderful drivers . 

Thai Drivers get a.  -10 out of ten 

Filipinos -50 out of 10

that's your opinion and i can respect that. however, mine is exactly the opposite of yours. Filipino motorists are by far more defensive drivers than Thais will ever be. the World Health Organization's 2014 data supports that - Thailand ranked 14 in the world (33.57 deaths per 100,000), while the Philippines ranked 123 (11.56 deaths per 100,000). in 2015, Thailand's death rate from accidents went up to 36.2 while the Philippines' dropped to 10.5. also, Filipino drivers understand the concept of right of way (vehicles in reverse, vehicles from/on main roads, etc. Thais on the other hand, are totally clueless about it - they seem to think it's just an abstract idea.

sources: 20142015 (official publication)2015 (map/graph)

1 hour ago, blazes said:

I drive always at night less traffic most times no traffic best time to travel in my book. To see thailand in all its glory you have to get out on the road. Sounds to me your a house waller looking at Thailand through your windows or that of a plane.

Edited by jeab1980

57 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

that's your opinion and i can respect that. however, mine is exactly the opposite of yours. Filipino motorists are by far more defensive drivers than Thais will ever be. the World Health Organization's 2014 data supports that - Thailand ranked 14 in the world (33.57 deaths per 100,000), while the Philippines ranked 123 (11.56 deaths per 100,000). in 2015, Thailand's death rate from accidents went up to 36.2 while the Philippines' dropped to 10.5. also, Filipino drivers understand the concept of right of way (vehicles in reverse, vehicles from/on main roads, etc. Thais on the other hand, are totally clueless about it - they seem to think it's just an abstract idea.

I get rather pee'd of with this world health organisation quote this quote that. A little like greenpeece they have there own agenda at times.

59 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

The other problem with the Philippines is the noise: they use horns all the time. Awful. 

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

I drive always at night less traffic most times no traffic best time to travel in my book. To see thailand in all its glory you have to get out on the road. Sounds to me your a house waller looking at Thailand through your windows or that of a plane.

How do you see Thailand "in all its glory" if you are always driving at night?  

You measure the "glory" by the country's night clubs???

29 minutes ago, blazes said:

How do you see Thailand "in all its glory" if you are always driving at night?  

You measure the "glory" by the country's night clubs???

Quite easy you go to your chosen destination through the night. Then take your time exploring during the days. Your take on posts is very bar stool ish.

Edited by jeab1980

3 hours ago, dbrenn said:

The other problem with the Philippines is the noise: they use horns all the time. Awful. 

oh the horn use... i completely agree. i suppose it's not as bad as in india or hanoi.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I get rather pee'd of with this world health organisation quote this quote that. A little like greenpeece they have there own agenda at times.

i quoted sources as typical TVers do. personal opinions here get hammered very often.

The thing that shocks me is how quickly expats develop Thai driving habits.

Turning left on red lights without stopping or looking just following the car ahead,

red light running, not wearing helmets, riding on sidewalks etc etc....... Just like

Thai drivers. All expat drivers should have front and rear facing video cameras in their

cars and adopt an attitude of extreme awareness as if all other drivers are idiots, because

for the most part they would be correct.  

23 hours ago, Clarinet man said:

You think they are bad drivers in Thailand . (They are!) But compared with the Philippines they are wonderful drivers . 

Thai Drivers get a.  -10 out of ten 

Filipinos -50 out of 10

A lot of Filipinos are Catholic so they have the protection of "Hail Mary's".  I don't think there is a "Hail Buddha" for Thais to give them protection so they drive more "carefully".

Edited by AboutThaim
Clarify meaning.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/06/2017 at 11:04 AM, AboutThaim said:

A lot of Filipinos are Catholic so they have the protection of "Hail Mary's".  I don't think there is a "Hail Buddha" for Thais to give them protection so they drive more "carefully".

Funny guy . I think so god must be on their side 

On 6/30/2017 at 2:58 AM, Ulic said:

1.The thing that shocks me is how quickly expats develop Thai driving habits.

2.Turning left on red lights without stopping or looking just following the car ahead,

3. red light running,

4. not wearing helmets, riding on sidewalks etc etc....... Just like Thai drivers.

5. All expat drivers should have front and rear facing video cameras in their

cars.

6. adopt an attitude of extreme awareness as if all other drivers are idiots, because

for the most part they would be correct.  

OK my # take + breakdown. :smile:

1. Yeah well if you don't be seen to do as Thais do in some situations you'll get into an accident easier l would say that's why you should be observing the driving habits.

2. They allow turning left at certain crossroad because it's safe to do so.

3. l never do that but coming up to traffic lights l make sure no-one is on my tail.

4. Never wear a helmet on scoot in village & everyone parks outside 7-11 sidewalk.

5. Good idea if your alone but with the wife nah no need.

6. That something all drivers should do no matter what country there in.

"Thai drivers are shockingly bad and dangerous"

this is of course completely inaccurate.

However as someone who has driven further and longer in Thailand than most Thais I have come to realize that the most vociferous critics are in fact themselves the worst drivers on Thai roads.

6 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

"Thai drivers are shockingly bad and dangerous"

this is of course completely inaccurate.

How do you account for the second highest road death toll in the world?

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

How do you account for the second highest road death toll in the world?

This comment perfectly sums up the rank ignorance of most expats on the topic.....just cling on to the syllogism.....lots of dead people so it must be the drivers.......how facile can you get?

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Your response is a prime example of that.

Left your sense of humour on the plane did we. Thought the lets party sticker gave it away  i promise i will spell it out for you next time.  Meanwhile look up satirical or tounge in cheek remarks.

Edited by jeab1980

12 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

This comment perfectly sums up the rank ignorance of most expats on the topic.....just cling on to the syllogism.....lots of dead people so it must be the drivers.......how facile can you get?

I wasnt going to bother with you, but as you seem to have set yourself up as the resident expert on Thai driving and thai road deaths. Please enlighten us with your wisdom and font of knowledge on the subject.