PM Prayut: Police reform must help restore public trust

webfact

PM Prayut: Police reform must help restore public trust

BANGKOK, 28th June 2017 (NNT) - The Prime Minister has called for the reform of Thailand’s police force to help restore public confidence and trust in law enforcement. 

Spokesman of the Prime Minister’s Office, Lt. Gen. Sunsern Kaewkumnerd said on Tuesday that the PM has issued directives related to the planned police reform, in which one committee will be set up to implement an overhaul of the Royal Thai Police, and another committee will be formed to work on behalf of the government as called for in the new Constitution. 

Lt. Gen. Sunsern said that discussions about the selection team to help form both committees are underway and PM Prayut has stressed that the newly-set-up committees must work in a cohesive manner after their formation. 

He added that the new committee under the government in particular, must be ready to work within nine months from now, and the last three months of this period will be spent on communications with all stakeholders in order to earn the acceptance of the people and their confidence and trust.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-06-28

40 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Yawn, not going to happen, Prayuth knows it, the police know it, everyone knows it, so why even bother discussing it, or setting up a Committee to be paid to do nothing.

But in this case there are TWO committees meaning twice as much inaction as ONE committee. And double the amount of conference room flower decorations and seafood buffet luncheons.

If the PM gives the same amount of attention to police reform as he does to reforming twerking dancers then change is inevitable is it not?

How many years has he and cohorts been in office already now, and only now getting around to announcing police reform committees, that everyone already knows will pretty much do nothing.

And frankly, I thought, at some prior point in the NCPO's life that they had previously announced some committees that were supposed to undertake police reform.  And then of course, after that, never to be heard from again.

The things they actually want to do, they just do and announce.  The things they want to shuffle off into obscurity, they announce committees to study.

Pop Quiz question for extra credit:

Which will come first in Thailand, a return to democracy or police reform?

Answer: both likely to come about the same time, and no one's predicting just when that might be.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

"There is no way that the high speed train will fail," he said.

Famous last words.

High speed trains require a level of precision in the engineering that allows no margin of error. What I have seen here in just about every aspect of the countries infrastructure, does not aspire me to believe that such precision is realistic. I don't see me risking my neck on it.

The knowledge of building and maintaining a railway line, even a high speed line, is readily available in Thailand, as shown by the end result of the upgrading of existing lines.

Rather unwise to give this work to Chinese workers.

The knowledge and engineering abilities of building railway rolling stock in China has been copied from various other manufacturers in Europe and Japan.

Building rolling stock in Thailand by Chinese companies will never happen because China wants all work to be done in China.

Japanese and European companies would build the rolling stock in Thailand.

In fact, Siemens already has a factory in Thailand.

Its been a long time coming and it will be a huge task

Police need to be paid better , then no need to corrupt practices

There must be no payment in order to get Police jobs or promotions

A huge task that will take years to implement 

At least its a step in the right direction

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Yawn, not going to happen, Prayuth knows it, the police know it, everyone knows it, so why even bother discussing it, or setting up a Committee to be paid to do nothing.

Sad but true....

cops are doing their job, earning money. exactly what are they supposed to reform? last time they reformed it resulted in us not being able to pay them on the spot. what a hassle. a simple fine could turn into hours of time lost chasing a cop around trying to get a licence back after a trip to stand in line at the cop shop. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that the new committee under the government in particular, must be ready to work within nine months from now, and the last three months of this period will be spent on communications with all stakeholders in order to earn the acceptance of the people and their confidence and trust.

9 MONTHS????? :cheesy:

Ask any Thai under cover of anonymity and protection and they will give you the full scenario in 9 minutes... But for sure, he doesn't want that 555...

-----

And then, i read again, and I am confused: new committee must be READY to work in 9 months?? Some serious warm up, do they breed the new members ???? :cheesy::cheesy:

hasn't reformed much in last few years has he, found it hard enough get old ladies and disabled to sell lottery tickets at legal pricing and can't even clean up the taxi mafia, problem is not reform but more poor education and social liking for easy money, lying, poor morals and a type of buddhism that accepts all this and joins in lol . Without some proper honest educated/smart people getting to top the only outcome is constant same same mess as last decade plus :-/ Thai social political and legal future is bleak and not an easy fix .

35 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

hasn't reformed much in last few years has he, found it hard enough get old ladies and disabled to sell lottery tickets at legal pricing and can't even clean up the taxi mafia, problem is not reform but more poor education and social liking for easy money, lying, poor morals and a type of buddhism that accepts all this and joins in lol . Without some proper honest educated/smart people getting to top the only outcome is constant same same mess as last decade plus :-/ Thai social political and legal future is bleak and not an easy fix .

While many many bank accounts get a few 0's added and the poor get poorer.... :sick:

Does anyone think the Thai people who aren't in the police have ever trusted and respected them?

How can you restore something that never was?

My P6 daughter told me her class were talking about the police. She said the general opinion was if they couldn't catch a culprit then they'd pin it on anybody they could. That's 11 year old's opinion.

30 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Does anyone think the Thai people who aren't in the police have ever trusted and respected them?

How can you restore something that never was?

My P6 daughter told me her class were talking about the police. She said the general opinion was if they couldn't catch a culprit then they'd pin it on anybody they could. That's 11 year old's opinion.

Now I know where you get your cynicism from!

10 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Yup :whistling:

2 hours ago, Becker said:

Now I know where you get your cynicism from!

If you are not cynical of the police situation, then you....

I'll let other people add because the list is incredibly long  :saai:

My wife and her whole family think the same as Baerboxer.

Maybe you should move things along...a little coaching and inspiration...that should work

Edited by Redline

2 hours ago, Redline said:

If you are not cynical of the police situation, then you....

I'll let other people add because the list is incredibly long  :saai:

My wife and her whole family think the same as Baerboxer.

Maybe you should move things along...a little coaching and inspiration...that should work

It was said tongue in cheek. Having lived here for more than two decades I know pretty much what's going on although the place still manages to surprise me.

18 hours ago, Becker said:

It was said tongue in cheek. Having lived here for more than two decades I know pretty much what's going on although the place still manages to surprise me.

I was wondering.  I guess the most surprising thing is that nothing seems to change besides the outer facade.  One would think progression would happen, as information is more available now than ever

1 hour ago, Redline said:

I was wondering.  I guess the most surprising thing is that nothing seems to change besides the outer facade.  One would think progression would happen, as information is more available now than ever

The most surprising thing to me is that there are still people (even some on this forum) who genuinely believe that the present junta actually wants to change anything except the faces stuck in the trough.

The whole force needs clearing out and then proper investigation methods taught. How can the public trust any police force that comes to the conclusion that the following was suicide and leaves it at that. Unbelievable!

http://www.samuitimes.com/yet-another-girl-dies-strange-circumstances-koh-tao-desperate-mother-looking-information/

5 minutes ago, Becker said:

The most surprising thing to me is that there are still people (even some on this forum) who genuinely believe that the present junta actually wants to change anything except the faces stuck in the trough.

It's amazing that it's going backwards, and I wish I was exaggerating when I say that.  Sadly, it is too late to play catch up, simply because of the education system, labor laws, and corruption...a recipe for doom